Show your Sharps!

Exactly, I believe the ‘75 never actually made it to production, if it did it was a very short lived one as there are not many originals accounted for from what I have read. I do love the clean lines of them though.
I have since found out that only TWO prototypes seem to be extant. One in more military fashion (I've not seen it) and one in long-range competition style. Apparently the C. Sharps model is CLOSE to the competition prototype but lacks a particular feature: a sort of automatic-cocking device found behind the hammer with a kidney-shaped protrusion or button and what I imagine is a pretty nifty 19th century mechanism inside. But even without it, I do like the offering. With the right options it could be a very handsomely British looking rifle.

Also, as of this posting I am not of great hope regarding that roller. Communication with the seller has become inadequate and my confidence in the transaction fades. I'm thinking strongly of rescinding my end of the bargain and putting in for a '75 done up like some British guns I've seen in Hallowell's archive gallery...

Wondering what calibre I ought to pair with a 26-28" heavy half-octagonal barrel that'll be okay for the 1880s, adequately take American game up to bison and brown bear, and also be legal for leopard and... Uh either kudu or eland, whichever is in the same category as a leopard in Zimbabwe. Just in case I ever really manage to get there.

I have since found out that only TWO prototypes seem to be extant. One in more military fashion (I've not seen it) and one in long-range competition style. Apparently the C. Sharps model is CLOSE to the competition prototype but lacks a particular feature: a sort of automatic-cocking device found behind the hammer with a kidney-shaped protrusion or button and what I imagine is a pretty nifty 19th century mechanism inside. But even without it, I do like the offering. With the right options it could be a very handsomely British looking rifle.

Also, as of this posting I am not of great hope regarding that roller. Communication with the seller has become inadequate and my confidence in the transaction fades. I'm thinking strongly of rescinding my end of the bargain and putting in for a '75 done up like some British guns I've seen in Hallowell's archive gallery...

Wondering what calibre I ought to pair with a 26-28" heavy half-octagonal barrel that'll be okay for the 1880s, adequately take American game up to bison and brown bear, and also be legal for leopard and... Uh either kudu or eland, whichever is in the same category as a leopard in Zimbabwe. Just in case I ever really manage to get there.
I’ve seen a Rigby single shot posted on another forum in .40-70, would that serve your purpose?

Just google image search “.40-70 sharps rigby” and you’ll find it.

I’ve seen a Rigby single shot posted on another forum in .40-70, would that serve your purpose?

Ir might? I haven't been able to find it yet. But if I do a Sharps, I think it'll be in .44-77 or something related.

Well as it turns out...

KIMG0299.JPG

Won't derail the thread further, though. My own will be forthcoming.

If it’s limited to Sharps only

Here’s a Shiloh in .45-70. It’s not in the white… I bought it at auction like this. The stock is very dark and there is pitting on much of the steel. Someone then sanded it down and took much of the finish. I wonder if it was in a gun safe during a house fire…

In any case, the bore is perfect. It’s almost as if someone tried to “patina” it ? Whatever the case, it looks pretty cool and certainly don’t have to worry about scratching it!

Ed Z

1719258357655.jpeg

That's the best configured pistol grip I've ever seen on a Sharps......and gorgeous as well!

That's the best configured pistol grip I've ever seen on a Sharps......and gorgeous as well!

Many thanks.. it was an internet auction purchase and I took a bit of a risk considering the metal finish condition. They claimed the bore was good and thankfully, the bore its perfect, along with the action. The wood is certainly a high grade piece of walnut with a lot of figure. It fits me and it points very well. I have several single shot rifles and many of them are long-barreled target type; this one handles easily and makes for a great stalking rifle. I need to work up some Level III loads with some big bullets.

Ed Z

Many thanks.. it was an internet auction purchase and I took a bit of a risk considering the metal finish condition. They claimed the bore was good and thankfully, the bore its perfect, along with the action. The wood is certainly a high grade piece of walnut with a lot of figure. It fits me and it points very well. I have several single shot rifles and many of them are long-barreled target type; this one handles easily and makes for a great stalking rifle. I need to work up some Level III loads with some big bullets.

Ed Z
Shiloh offers a metal aging finish but I'm not sure that's it. Maybe someone tried to, like, French Grey it and didn't do a great job? Or they tried to age it themselves, yeah...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErlindaHer

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?