Show Us Your Hunting Knife

Latest knife off the bench, 9" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" forged 5160 steel, full tang with file work, copper liners, square lanyard hole, mosaic pins in carbon fiber tubing, and a file worked thumb rest. The handle material is antique Westinghouse micarta from the 1940's, love the color. It is being paired with the Colt Anaconda, all for a buddy who spends a lot of time fishing/hunting in Montana. I really like the setup, may do a 7" blade to pair with my Colt Python.
IMG_7760.jpg
IMG_7776.jpg
IMG_7767.jpg

Latest knife off the bench, 9" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" forged 5160 steel, full tang with file work, copper liners, square lanyard hole, mosaic pins in carbon fiber tubing, and a file worked thumb rest. The handle material is antique Westinghouse micarta from the 1940's, love the color. It is being paired with the Colt Anaconda, all for a buddy who spends a lot of time fishing/hunting in Montana. I really like the setup, may do a 7" blade to pair with my Colt Python.View attachment 609455View attachment 609456View attachment 609457
should work well for gutting pachyderms.

No pachy-derms in Montana but there are some serious Yogis and Boo Boos.
He wanted a general camp knife and last ditch bear defender. Hopefully it is only used for the former and never for the latter. Although we know of several instances of grizz attacking hunters with animals down, killed the guide and tore up a hunter pretty badly in one case.

For gutting things I would probably use something like this!
IMG_5781.jpg
IMG_5779.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5768.jpg
    IMG_5768.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 34
No pachy-derms in Montana but there are some serious Yogis and Boo Boos.
He wanted a general camp knife and last ditch bear defender. Hopefully it is only used for the former and never for the latter. Although we know of several instances of grizz attacking hunters with animals down, killed the guide and tore up a hunter pretty badly in one case.
@WH1
You only need a knife that big for a bear attack if you are the slowest runner in the group.
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob

@Uxas
Top one has a great blade shape, plenty of body at the nose for skinning but a bit long to control for diner work.
Bottom one useless for skinning, look like it has been beaten to death on a triangle file. Needs a new edge profile before you can use it for boneing again.
Just my opinion.
Bob

My favorite hunting knife is my custom Shaun Bruwer loveless dropped hunter with desert ironwork handle and stingray leather sheath.

IMG_2162.jpeg
IMG_2108.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like a Canada goose. I was using a blade similar to this for the same purpose but found I was leaving too much meat on the bone. I switched to a Havalon that has replaceable blades for this...sharp as a scalpel while still being lightweight and packable. Now I get the entire breast tenderloin!
1717157578645.png

This looks like a Canada goose. I was using a blade similar to this for the same purpose but found I was leaving too much meat on the bone. I switched to a Havalon that has replaceable blades for this...sharp as a scalpel while still being lightweight and packable. Now I get the entire breast tenderloin!
View attachment 609816
I have several of those, I prefer the gerbers but will be trying out the new hogues soon. I really can’t remember if that was a mallard or Canada goose, at any rate it was my first time cleaning either. I didn’t think I left much behind.

I have several of those, I prefer the gerbers but will be trying out the new hogues soon. I really can’t remember if that was a mallard or Canada goose, at any rate it was my first time cleaning either. I didn’t think I left much behind.
I wasn't busting your chops about leaving meat on the bone. What I'm saying is that I was leaving meat on the bone until I started using a thinner blade.

Drop some pics of the Hogue knives. Love to see them.

20240603_233221.jpg

Here it is, bought from a friend of mine just today! To me, one of the most beautiful model ever made - the Randall n.1 / 7". It's a current production Randall, made 10 years ago. I already have a model 19 made in the late '60s, and this one completes very well a set of two, skinner and general purpose hunting knife. Both brass and sambar, sure the old one it's a "Bo" knife, but I believe the Gary Randall ones are also very good too, pretty well finished. Can't wait to use it in the field!

This is not strictly a hunting knife, but it is an all rounder for the outdoors that would definitely brake down an animal. This is one of my experiments with Woodlore style knives. I usually make them with a saber grind, but this one is a true scandi grind, so pretty faithful to the original Woodlore design.

The steel is 3mm NitroV with a tapered tang. The handle is stabilised European Birch, with black G10 liners & loveless bolts and a brass lanyard tube, Pretty happy with how it came up.

IMG-6525.jpg
IMG-6531.jpg
IMG-6533.jpg
IMG-6538.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 609816
Nice, with different blades available it makes it modular.
I see a pattern forming here

View attachment 609816
@BeeMaa - functional and precise, if I ever needed my appendix removed on a Hunt - this would be the tool to have…and the Leatherman could pull a Wisdom Tooth !
Obviously you were an Eagle Scout…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's