Show Us Your Hunting Knife

Using a ordinary fuse of the firebox type for honing one can do also , since it’s pure porcelain of fine grit
I once saw an old 486 processor being used for this purpose. I don't know how effective it is.

View attachment 584295
I apologize for showing this, compared to the masterpieces that are already here.
Nevertheless, my knife is the most successful, it is already 50 years old. I didn't have a hunting ticket at the time, so I couldn't even buy a hunting knife at the store. Self-production was... hmm... not exactly legal at the time. In the village forge, I was presented with a short piece of a mechanical saw blade made of wear-resistant steel. I skinned it on the grinding wheel, trying to keep the hardening. I found a piece of moose horn in my uncle's barn (I don't think my uncle ever dealt with moose licenses). I don't remember why I decided to use this particular design, but the knife turned out to be convenient and always sharp. And when I got a wife, this knife ended up in the kitchen, and never left it again. The scabbard made of linden planks and thick leather was lost somewhere...
Well, you have it 50 years later and it's proven it's worth.

This is my contribution to this thread, most recent blade I finished. Forged 5160 steel blade, turned elk antler handle with iron S-guard, sterling silver bolster and pommel cap. Made specifically to pair with the pictured S&W Russian replica and its bone grips.
IMG_9140.jpg

this is my first, gifted to me by my mother when I was 12 before my first season here in MT.

IMG_4309.jpeg

This one was new last fall, but went to work right away. MKC Jackstone
IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4155.jpeg

This one is not blooded yet, but will be soon enough. MKC Blackfoot 2.0
IMG_4406.jpeg

These guys have a cult following and some interesting designs to say the least.. I would like to try one of their Game Wardens out one day:
Looks like a great knife! Really does! Buuuut I’d take my old Case over it any day at their $450 price point
Maybe I’m just dont know?

Looks like a great knife! Really does! Buuuut I’d take my old Case over it any day at their $450 price point
Maybe I’m just dont know?
I can understand that. I’m sure their price is partly dependent on their name/reputation but I would bet most of it is due to material quality, man hours and fit and finish. Small operation when compared to Case churning out knives in (likely) impressive numbers.

This is another variation on a knife I have made a few times now. I posted an earlier version of this knife on this thread.

This one is made from VG10 Damascus steel. This was a 3mm billet, and the layers are slightly off centre which is a bit annoying. Apparently its a common by-product of the forge welding process. In future I will do more to make sure the core is centred before grinding as thats the only way to get the alignment of the layers right. Last time I etched Damascus, I left it a bit too long and it etched pretty deep. This time I etched it for much shorter periods. Its probably a little under done this time. I will maybe split the difference next time.

The blade is a full flat grind with a tapered tang. Handle is African ebony with thin red G10 liners, mosaic pins and a hand rubbed oil finish.

IMG-5546.jpg

IMG-5541.jpg

IMG-5550.jpg

IMG-5555.jpg

As you suspected @BeeMaa here is a Von Gruff Safari. It has only dressed one deer, but it’s easily the best knife have ever used. Bruce Moulds had a wonderful idea with the sheath mounted steel, a few strokes and it cuts like brand new.View attachment 424000
View attachment 423999
love it! By the end of the month Garry at Von Gruff will have a one like this except with Giraffe handle and same sheath only cross over version with steele attached to me for my April safari. Would never distract a thread but would appreciate do people carry their knives in their checked bag or gun case to Africa?

This is another version of my small bowie that I have made a few times. Its intended to be a good general duty knife - good for carcass breakdown, but still get you through general chores, basic bush crafting, etc. One knife to carry in the pack and do it all, or most anyway.

The blade is 3mm NitroV steel with a full flat grind. The tang is tapered and the handle is gidgee with 1mm G10 red liners, brass Loveless bolts and brass lanyard tube & a 10 coat hand rubbed oil finish.

IMG-5689.jpg
IMG-5694.jpg
IMG-5698.jpg
IMG-5703.jpg

I recently sold a bunch of knives (thank you AH members who looked and bought them) and as any proper AH member, already had in mind what my next one would be. So before the funds could hit the bank, I purchased a Smith & Sons Brave with Natural Micarta Scales. Fits my hand well and is now resting on my cartridge belt. This one hasn't had a chance yet to make any memories, but I assure you it will.
View attachment 423992
This also made me wonder what others are using as their hunting knives. Of course I will expect the legion of @Von Gruff fans to come forward with pictures of theirs, but I know there are others out there that have some semi-custom, full custom or a Buck 110 that their Grandfather gave them. Share a picture and maybe the story behind it.
Today, I received my new Von Gruff Hunting knife I am taking on my April trip. I got the snap over sheath with my initials along with a sharping steel to make sure it does not slip out and to keep it sharp. The handle has the buff front and giraff back.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
Today, I received my new Von Gruff Hunting knife I am taking on my April trip. I got the snap over sheath with my initials along with a sharping steel to make sure it does not slip out and to keep it sharp. The handle has the buff front and giraff back.
I have to blame my good friend @BeeMaa for this purchase lol!!! I saw his knife and then read all the posts he started and yes once again I was enabled to get this beautiful knife from Garry @Von gruff. Garry’s communication was unbelievable…he posted me pictures as my knife was built from scratch by him! Awesome guy!!!!

I have to blame my good friend @BeeMaa for this purchase lol!!! I saw his knife and then read all the posts he started and yes once again I was enabled to get this beautiful knife from Garry @Von gruff. Garry’s communication was unbelievable…he posted me pictures as my knife was built from scratch by him! Awesome guy!!!!
Congratulations my friend. I'm honored to have enabled yet another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PedroDamia

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.