Show Us Your Hunting Knife

In Central Europe, almost every hunter carries a pocket knife with three "blades", as an example, I add below link to Czechoslovak Mikov - who would like to match Czechoslovak Brno/CZ 602 or 550 ;)

For example, German Solingen companies such as Puma, Hartkopf or Böker make better/top quality and more expensive products. The Victorinox RangerGrip is also quite popular. These 3 blades are very practical in the field. Try just google "jagd taschenmesser"

The website is also in English.

Attachments

That looks like a " safety " knife for cutting seat belts ?

Roger
You are perfectly right, this is a Rescue Tool. However, this blade is suitable for ripping open the skin so as not to touch the peritoneum. Well, for paramedical purposes, cut clothes or a temporary bandage. Unfortunately, as a hunting knife, it is of limited use - it does not have a corkscrew.

To be honest, I thought Vis (Victorinox) knives were more popular in the world. I use them all the time, and, of course, I take them hunting with me. This company has several hundred models (Horseman's knife, Cheese Lover, etc.), including hunting ones. Unfortunately, each of these three knives has drawbacks - the red one has too small a skinner blade, only for roe deer, the yellow one does not have an awl and a can opener, as well as tweezers and toothpicks. I haven't bought Victorinox Rangergrip 57 yet - it is optimal for a set of blades.

Do you have any cut resistant gloves that you prefer? I'm planning on adding some to my hunting kit as I all too often end up with a knick in a finger when dressing a small animal. The other day on a bone from a grouse. I really want to limit the possibility of a bad situation way out in the woods on a bigger animal.

I will take a look at those havalons as well.
I have some steel woven gloves from salt water fishing. They are thin and would be great, of course somewhat difficult to thoroughly clean. May have gotten them at BPS, can't remember. You won't cut yourself!

I have some steel woven gloves from salt water fishing. They are thin and would be great, of course somewhat difficult to thoroughly clean. May have gotten them at BPS, can't remember. You won't cut yourself!

There are Kevlar gloves against cuts, and there are such gloves for low temperatures.

To be honest, I thought Vis (Victorinox) knives were more popular in the world. I use them all the time, and, of course, I take them hunting with me. This company has several hundred models (Horseman's knife, Cheese Lover, etc.), including hunting ones. Unfortunately, each of these three knives has drawbacks - the red one has too small a skinner blade, only for roe deer, the yellow one does not have an awl and a can opener, as well as tweezers and toothpicks. I haven't bought Victorinox Rangergrip 57 yet - it is optimal for a set of blades.
I use a bunch of them for filleting fish and boning game. Very good blades, especially for the $.

I have an extremely impractical Lappland 70. I won't go anywhere without it.
20240114_222351.jpg

for those into customs.. the TX Blade Show is in Ft. Worth next month.. there will be dozens of the top blade smiths in the country all there as well as dozens of guys selling knives from hundreds of the top blade smiths from the past 50+ years...

if youre a maker like I am, there are also dozens of vendors that will be selling top quality materials and components at very reasonable prices as well (I typically get some really good handle materials there each year as well as some very good bar stock steel.. and there is an incredible selection of pins and other materials as well)..

theres almost always 5-10 new, up and comers present.. newly admitted members to the guild, etc..

while not nearly as big (I'd guess maybe 200 booths total) as DSC or SCI.. the Blade Show (this one and the one in Atlanta) are to knife guys what DSC or SCI are to international hunters.. something of a "dont miss it" event..

If youre local to DFW.. even if you arent much of a knife guy, its worth checking out (IMO).. there will certainly be some really good deals on hard to find knives.. and its one place where you can quite literally check out everything from a $29 frost cutlery knock off knife to a $3000 uber rare handmade from one of the greatest blade smiths in out lifetimes... all in one place at the same time..

for those into customs.. the TX Blade Show is in Ft. Worth next month.. there will be dozens of the top blade smiths in the country all there as well as dozens of guys selling knives from hundreds of the top blade smiths from the past 50+ years...

if youre a maker like I am, there are also dozens of vendors that will be selling top quality materials and components at very reasonable prices as well (I typically get some really good handle materials there each year as well as some very good bar stock steel.. and there is an incredible selection of pins and other materials as well)..

theres almost always 5-10 new, up and comers present.. newly admitted members to the guild, etc..

while not nearly as big (I'd guess maybe 200 booths total) as DSC or SCI.. the Blade Show (this one and the one in Atlanta) are to knife guys what DSC or SCI are to international hunters.. something of a "dont miss it" event..

If youre local to DFW.. even if you arent much of a knife guy, its worth checking out (IMO).. there will certainly be some really good deals on hard to find knives.. and its one place where you can quite literally check out everything from a $29 frost cutlery knock off knife to a $3000 uber rare handmade from one of the greatest blade smiths in out lifetimes... all in one place at the same time..

I’ll be there for the first time. Pretty excited

I’ll be there for the first time. Pretty excited

Depending on your schedule, it would be great to link up maybe for a coffee or burgers, etc.. while youre there.. (maybe do an AH link up if others are going to be in Ft. Worth that day..)..

Depending on your schedule, it would be great to link up maybe for a coffee or burgers, etc.. while youre there.. (maybe do an AH link up if others are going to be in Ft. Worth that day..)..
Sounds like a plan. I’ll be there Saturday

I wonder if you can buy just the blades? Looks useful!!

Helle does sell just the blade blanks.. you can then put any handle you want on them...

My favorite is the one upon which Gary (VonGruff) and I collaborated five or six years ago. The idea was a general purpose hunting knife that would also make a useful self-defense weapon. It is fine for gutting a deer, but the places it travels with me, it is primarily kept as a weapon. We used a saber grind and relieved top edge. The point is in perfect alignment with the center of the haft providing a very powerful and directable thrust. The thumb rest and finger guard allowed us to do away with a guard which clutters up so many dual purpose blades such as a Bowie. We equipped it with a cross draw sheath. It is not only the most comfortable design for getting in and out of or riding in a vehicle, but it also allows ready access under any conditions.

And before you roll your eyes at the use of a knife in a self-defense situation, with a modicum of training a knife can be very effective - particularly in close quarters like a vehicle hijacking or hotel room.
View attachment 575952
Somehow the profile reminds me of a Puma Cougar. Wicked knife!

I'd love to check this out. Let me know when you plan to go over, and I'll try to synch up.

So this is another version of the knife I made last year. I wanted to see what I could do with the profile. I bought a set of Chinesium handle scale material that is supposed to glow in the dark, so thought it might make a a handy knife for breaking down animals if you are taking a shot on twilight, or spotlighting, thermalling, whatever. It turned out okay, but its not nearly as visible in the dark as I had expected. The photo below is deceiving as it makes the handles look very visible, but to the naked eye it doesnt look anywhere near as visible..

Anyhow, the blade is NitroV with a full flat grind and tapered tang. The handles have a .5mm black G10 liner and Loveless bolts.

IMG-5374.jpg
IMG-5376.jpg
IMG-5380.jpg
IMG-5382.jpg
IMG-5384.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
20240131_004958.jpg

I apologize for showing this, compared to the masterpieces that are already here.
Nevertheless, my knife is the most successful, it is already 50 years old. I didn't have a hunting ticket at the time, so I couldn't even buy a hunting knife at the store. Self-production was... hmm... not exactly legal at the time. In the village forge, I was presented with a short piece of a mechanical saw blade made of wear-resistant steel. I skinned it on the grinding wheel, trying to keep the hardening. I found a piece of moose horn in my uncle's barn (I don't think my uncle ever dealt with moose licenses). I don't remember why I decided to use this particular design, but the knife turned out to be convenient and always sharp. And when I got a wife, this knife ended up in the kitchen, and never left it again. The scabbard made of linden planks and thick leather was lost somewhere...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wapiti86

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with