Show Us Your Hunting Knife

IMG_8826.jpeg
From top: F. Dick standard cut, Dexter Russel fine polish, F. Dick DICKORON Saphire cut. All 35cm

Got to keep a smile on all the pretty blades.
 
As with guns I have never seen a knife that was to pretty to take hunting. I also have never seen a knife that didn’t look better with a bit of blood on it.
I would not buy an ornate knife or expensive knife for hunting.
My Von Gruff isn’t cheap but it’s not as expensive as some custom knives. The first time I used it was on a small fallow deer.

I like nice things but if I had an expensive knife or rifle or a nicely engraved rifle of substantial value I would be reluctant to to carry it in the bush. A hard call as it would be nice to have these and use them but it comes a point where I put it in the I can’t afford to damage it category. No one sets out to mess up their gear but putting a scratch on a 20k rifle would give me the sh!t$ so I would see them more as a collectible item.

I like all of the knives pictured but keep it simple for my field needs without the embellishment on them
 
I make my own, here are the latest 3 I've completed.
20250505_115635.jpg
20250214_090231.jpg
20250401_161209.jpg
 
I would not buy an ornate knife or expensive knife for hunting.
My Von Gruff isn’t cheap but it’s not as expensive as some custom knives. The first time I used it was on a small fallow deer.

I like nice things but if I had an expensive knife or rifle or a nicely engraved rifle of substantial value I would be reluctant to to carry it in the bush. A hard call as it would be nice to have these and use them but it comes a point where I put it in the I can’t afford to damage it category. No one sets out to mess up their gear but putting a scratch on a 20k rifle would give me the sh!t$ so I would see them more as a collectible item.

I like all of the knives pictured but keep it simple for my field needs without the

I make my own, here are the latest 3 I've completed.View attachment 683657 View attachment 683656View attachment 683658
Wow..! all three are sweet, but the last one speaks to me. Thanks for sharing.
 
Interesting article. I especially like his view on his knives being used. Still some of the most sought after and collectible knives there are. Bob Loveless was quite the character.
View attachment 683455
View attachment 683456
View attachment 683457
View attachment 683458
View attachment 683459
View attachment 683460
View attachment 683461
I am only really using Bob Loveless type knives these days. The bully and the hunter.

Some makers can execute one pretty well.

I also have a Japanese made Bob Loveless era Loveless Design knife that is the same as knives made by Bob's shop. The knife is flawless.
 
Here is my PH’s apprentice, Erhard, using my Von Gruff Safari knife with a birdseye maple handle to prepare my Blue/Golden Wildebeest for hanging:

IMG_2715.jpeg


The blade was slightly tarnished from the day before when I had used it to cut tomatoes for our group lunch failing to clean it properly before sheathing it:

IMG_2716.jpeg
 
That’s a great combo. Pretty much all you will ever need from field dressing to the dinner table.

Sometimes we can overthink all our knife choices. Nice to be brought back down to earth where we belong. Cheers.
 
If my dad would have seen me cutting hair as shown in the above photo instead of pointing the blade past the hair, then cutting the hide from the underside it would have been a BIG problem.
 
Here are my two Roselli knives and the Casström Safari Mini Hunter.
Looking to add a Fällkniven Idun CoS to the collection.

IMG_0180.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,571,130
Members
169,118
Latest member
NolanStran
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top