Show Us Your Hunting Knife

@Kelly G are they still doing the fried chicken?

Nice knife btw
Was traveling and stopped by "The Ripple Tavern" little over a year ago. Still some of the best Fried Chicken around!

CF14A407-F8C7-4C36-A67A-88E2A7C97DF9.jpeg

These are my favourites.
1. Puma hunter's pal, probably as old as me, excellent German carbon steel, just about perfect for most of my hunting / skinning needs, feels good, holds a keen edge. Not perfect for butchering. see #2
2. Custom deboning knife Jason Kilcup, a Saskatchewan maker. Simple, slim, easy to use. I've processed many hundreds of waterfowl and dozens of elk, moose and deer with this one.
3. Custom knife made for me by my nephew Ben as a gift, out of an old used hammer mill blade salvaged from the feed mill that I owned and operated for more than 30 years. A general purpose outdoor knife that I use for camping and such. It is a combination of functional form ( Inspired by Puma) and nostalgia/personal connections. Not sure what that steel is, but it's good!
4. A 'Bird Knife" that I bought from an artist on the harbour docks of Helsinki Finland while visiting there. I like the shape that reminds me of a ptarmigan while stored in its birch root burl sheath. It fits my hand perfectly and accompanies me on bird hunts.

And I also keep a Day-Glo orange plastic handled Mora in my truck for use as a tool. Haven't lost it yet!
IMG_5143.jpeg

Last edited:
New sheath from @CM McKenzie for my Smith & Sons...
1648239610211.png

1648239648808.png

Interior custom built to my exact knife...
1648239901088.png

Amazing work from @CM McKenzie and I thank him for it.

Before my first trip to Africa with my best friend and our wives, I had a master knife maker make us two knives. The handle on this one is Blue Wildebeest bone taken off a Lion kill. The handle on the one I gave my friend is Kudu bone taken from a Lion kill. His wife custom makes the sheaths.

The maker told me they are for everyday carry but they are too pretty for that so I have it on display in my house.
20220325_151008.jpg
20220325_150947.jpg

Very nice! What make of knife is that?
Smith & Sons Brave...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 5.32.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 5.32.47 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 5.32.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 5.32.50 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 94
I don’t make many of these because they are so time consuming fitting the guards and mirror polish on the blade but I do love a Loveless Style dropped hunter. Probably the best know hunting knife ever made, certainly the most copied. I just finished this one for me in classic green canvas micarta with red liners, contoured coke bottle shape and tapered tang. Leather sheath with a dangler loop which is my favorite as its most comfortable to me.

33DBE4D8-BB62-4367-86B2-60225C26474B.jpeg
E27B9741-D420-4580-80C8-FA448554D862.jpeg

Edit….man I should have cleaned it up a bit before photos with the dust particles on the blade and smudges on the guard. Lol

Last edited:
Quick pic of the new sheath made by @CM McKenzie for my wife with a beautiful black die job. Knife is a Grohmann DM Russell #1 Stainless Canadian Belt Knife with Rosewood handle.
1648296933895.png

No one tries to "borrow" this one!

tempImageJEYKN8.jpg

Quick pic of the new sheath made by @CM McKenzie for my wife with a beautiful black die job. Knife is a Grohmann DM Russell #1 Stainless Canadian Belt Knife with Rosewood handle.
View attachment 459110
@BeeMaa
Why didn't you get your darling wife the carbon Grohman. Holds a far better edge. Yes it will tarnish but who cares when you have a better edge .
Bob

@BeeMaa
Why didn't you get your darling wife the carbon Grohman. Holds a far better edge. Yes it will tarnish but who cares when you have a better edge .
Bob
She poached this knife off of me...so don't get me started on my "darling" wife. LOL. Really it just made room for me to get yet ANOTHER knife as she rolled her eyes at me.

I recently sold a bunch of knives (thank you AH members who looked and bought them) and as any proper AH member, already had in mind what my next one would be. So before the funds could hit the bank, I purchased a Smith & Sons Brave with Natural Micarta Scales. Fits my hand well and is now resting on my cartridge belt. This one hasn't had a chance yet to make any memories, but I assure you it will.
View attachment 423992
This also made me wonder what others are using as their hunting knives. Of course I will expect the legion of @Von Gruff fans to come forward with pictures of theirs, but I know there are others out there that have some semi-custom, full custom or a Buck 110 that their Grandfather gave them. Share a picture and maybe the story behind it.
20200404_074853_P4040001.JPG

Found the company that makes the knife Peter Capstick designed. I've found it to be very comfortable to use and takes/holds a razor edge. One of my most used knives

She poached this knife off of me...so don't get me started on my "darling" wife. LOL. Really it just made room for me to get yet ANOTHER knife as she rolled her eyes at me.
@BeeMaa
I've spoken to your wife remember and I think she is a lovely person.
I know at times you think she is a real treasure but you would like to rebury her at times.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefty Outdoor

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!