Should I build a 318 Westley Richards?

I have a few 318s, along with the brass, dies, bullets etc. I hunt with them. It’s a great round, deserving of it’s reputation.
However, I’m building a 35 Whelen. Both classics. Much better bullet availability and much broader choice of bullets in 35 cal. You can even find factory ammo, when that kind of thing is available. If you ever go to sell it or pass it along in your estate, someone may actually know what it is :)

I have a few 318s, along with the brass, dies, bullets etc. I hunt with them. It’s a great round, deserving of it’s reputation.
However, I’m building a 35 Whelen. Both classics. Much better bullet availability and much broader choice of bullets in 35 cal. You can even find factory ammo, when that kind of thing is available. If you ever go to sell it or pass it along in your estate, someone may actually know what it is :)
I had a 35 Whelen & like a fool sold it, have replaced it with a Ruger 350 Rem mag & a custom build 9.3x62 M98, the 318 WR has that old world appeal

Hi Rdog

I been through the same process and for me it was worth the trouble and the wait.
Bertram Brass and Woodleigh bullets is not to much trouble to source. You can also use 30-06 brass if needed.
I have used a ZG47 action and a Lothar Walter Barrel .
I placed a special order for the reamer and gauges. I'm done with them and don't have much use for them anymore. You are welcome to contact me if you are interested in them.

Regards,
243869226_10158088716866689_2112758293224561417_n.jpg
243943761_10158090497366689_3121922956559418489_n.jpg

Been thinking about a 318 WR it would have to be on a M98 action, but may be its too much trouble, brass, dies, barrel , finding some one with a chamber reamer& projectiles are hard to obtain may be you will never get
your money back if you sell it. A 338/06 would be easier but it does not have the nostalgia of the 318 what do you think ?

Suggest 338 Winchester using 225 grain Bullets

Been thinking about a 318 WR it would have to be on a M98 action, but may be its too much trouble, brass, dies, barrel , finding some one with a chamber reamer& projectiles are hard to obtain may be you will never get
your money back if you sell it. A 338/06 would be easier but it does not have the nostalgia of the 318 what do you think ?
@rdog
What ever floats your boat. I think you are right in the cases,projectiles and especially dies. I think Bertram may do the brass and I know Woodleigh do the projectile for the 318. Woodleigh also do projectiles for the 338 fed and 338/06 that are correct for ther velocity parameters and I think a little softer than the magnum projectiles.
Bob

Bob. i will wait until i find 30/06 length M98 action in good condition just have to keep looking 10 years ago you could buy an FN 30 06 for about $200 in excellent condition, now people want $600 for cobbled together bits of shit if you know of any please let me know. when i find the action i will decide a 318 WR or 338/06

Last edited:
@318AE
When you build your Whelen make sure you stock up on Hogdon CFE223, it's a great powder in the Whelen, high velocity and lower pressures. Nothing wrong with a,35 cal 250gr projectile at 2,700fps
Bob

If it is within your means and it is something that you really want you should do it . You only live once and life is short enough so why not do what will make you happy .

As Nike say 'Just Do It'.

I'd long had a hankering for a 318 WR - the cartridge had an allure for me.

I had one built over the last couple of years, sort of on the cheap - it's still a bit of a work in progress in that the stock is pretty rough and I'll hopefully get that replaced one day.

It started with a Parker Hale 'Safari', built on an ex military 98 action, thumb cut out etc, that looks to have had the stock replaced at some stage.

Had it rebarreled, sights added and it shoots pretty well.

I'm fortunate in that Bruce Bertram is only about an hour from my home, so brass is not an issue. Bruce also has projectiles, in addition to Woodleigh.

As Nike say 'Just Do It'.

I'd long had a hankering for a 318 WR - the cartridge had an allure for me.

I had one built over the last couple of years, sort of on the cheap - it's still a bit of a work in progress in that the stock is pretty rough and I'll hopefully get that replaced one day.

It started with a Parker Hale 'Safari', built on an ex military 98 action, thumb cut out etc, that looks to have had the stock replaced at some stage.

Had it rebarreled, sights added and it shoots pretty well.

I'm fortunate in that Bruce Bertram is only about an hour from my home, so brass is not an issue. Bruce also has projectiles, in addition to Woodleigh.
I know where there is a parker hale safari in 270 as you describe its pretty rough needs a better bolt handle may be i will take an other look at it.

That caliber has always been on my tado list almost pulled the trigger on a real deal Westley but bought my 470 instead .have the fn Mauser but it keeps getting put to the back of the line.theres a takedown one on guns int.but it's way too up there for me 12k I think.

318 WR up date I looked at the Parker Hale Safari 270 win to day i think i will buy it,the price is good. The bolt handle is awful, lousy welding job & its to short & the flag safety is slightly bent somehow, the stock is good, but the cut out for the bolt handle too big, may be i can fix that, the bolt & receiver looks good its drilled & taped & has steel PH bases, bottom metal is steel military style but does not have the lock screw holes . The receiver has" Parker Safari" stamped or engraved in to it & has the thumb cut out, I do not know what company made it. The plan is to order a talley weld on bolt handle a timney trigger with no safety & a timney low profile flag style safety . Talk to TSE and Lother Walther about a barrel, so that is a start, If any of the forum members knows any thing about the make of the action body or has any other suggestions please let me know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeannieLan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.