Should I add a mercury recoil reducer to less than 9 lbs 458 win mag

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a slightly less than 9 pound 458 win mag o/u double rifle. I love the fit and feel of the gun unless I pull the trigger on a 500 grain maximum load. Maximum loads with 295 grain bullets are not bad at all, but when you go the 500 grain bullets it’s a whole different ball game. Would you add a pound or more mercury reduction device and if so, where would you install it? Thanks.

Yes. You can add up to two in the buttstock.

Your experience answered your own question honestly. You shouldn't hunt with a gun that scares you or beats you up. That's just a bad plan that can only get worse. Add the reducer(s) in the buttstock where it balances best and go hunting with it. A 458 win mag that can't handle 500 grain loads is kind of mess.

In my experience, I dont find mercury recoil reducers any more effective than just adding their equivalent in weight. I added two reducers to my 450 Ackley in the 1990s, and it definitely made it more shootable. But I think if I added the same amount of lead to the butt, the effect would have been the same.

Also, I have been told airlines will not carry a rifle if it has mercury in it, but I dont know if thats actually true, or how they would enforce it. But if it is a fact, that would be enough reason not to use mercury for me at least.

Some say that the mercury moving inside of the tube is a counter-action to the recoil action. Maybe but I think very few could tell the difference. The main benefit is in weight being in the proper places to balance and reduce recoil velocity. Recoil velocity is a lot of what "felt recoil" is about versus recoil by the numbers.

Your experience answered your own question honestly. You shouldn't hunt with a gun that scares you or beats you up. That's just a bad plan that can only get worse. Add the reducer(s) in the buttstock where it balances best and go hunting with it. A 458 win mag that can't handle 500 grain loads is kind of mess.
MANY Whitworth Mausers out there (great shooters, nice wood) but too light (require the same treatment, a great pad, and select the heaviest steel mounts/rings, a stout scope and even a sling that features cartridge loops for extra heft. Most pleasant-to-shoot DG guns are easily in the 13+ lb range. 'Could also magnaport it (lower profile, less recoil reducing porting.)

You can magnaport any firearm...pistol, shotgun, any kind of rifle. Prince Albrecht has porting in his double rifle that costs at least 50k. Not for me but you can do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeonRvj130