Shooting sticks vs Tripod

A few years ago, I switched to the Spartan Precision Javelin system. The magnetic mount is a fast a old school sticks, and all the legs are interchangeable. I can use the same head and legs configured as monopod, bipod/sticks or tripod. It's all very light and if you have the legs extended like sticks, fast and quiet. It'll also take an RRS Arca mount if you just prefer it over their magnetic mount

So, I am in the beginning stages of planning a hunt to Africa. When I was in high school my dad and I were planning a trip to Africa, but then some political unrest happened and we never got to go. 30 years later...
Anyways, I have been reading that everybody shoots off shooting sticks for African plains game. I have a lot of time shooting off a tripod (PRS, etc) and I was wondering why more people don't just bring a tripod? My carbon fiber tripod with RRS head weighs about 4 lbs and is rock steady. The steadiness with a tripod with an Arca rail really is much more stable than a shooting stick and the deployment (if you practice with it) is very fast.
So, is it ok to bring my tripod or should I buy some shooting sticks to practice.

Thanks!

If you are a pretty serious in PRS, your sticks aren't going to matter at all. The shooting you will almost certainly be doing, you could do off the top of a t-post, standing on one leg. You can bring anything you want clearly, but I use the same type setup at home, Arca rail systems, they are going to be more cumbersome than you are going to want to deal with, in my opinion. I was very worried about having my own sticks my first trip, but at this point I don't even think twice about it. You are shooting a volleyball at 200.

I agree with you Beemaa about the 2nd shot. But the first shot is better with the rear support big time. I am practicing deployment and follow up and I am yet to have my sticks fall down. Weaknesses are sitting down and steep terrain

I agree with you Beemaa about the 2nd shot. But the first shot is better with the rear support big time. I am practicing deployment and follow up and I am yet to have my sticks fall down. Weaknesses are sitting down and steep terrain
I'm considering a set of quad sticks because of how many people say how stable they are...we shall see. I'm considering the Viper-Flex Journey because they break down to about 25" to travel with.

@Rickmt - How long is the longest piece when your quad sticks are broken down for travel?

Last edited:
Sticks, tripods, leaning on a tree, or offhand - makes no difference to me. I will take what I can get.
On some occasions, I have refused sticks. It depends on the circumstances..

I'm considering a set of quad sticks because of how many people say how stable they are...we shall see. I'm considering the Viper-Flex Journey because they break down to about 25" to travel with.

@Rickmt - How long is the longest piece when your quad sticks are broken down for travel?
The Vipers look pretty spendy, at least direct from the manufacturer. Any clue how they compare to the other quad stick alternatives. I like the concept of the Blasers since the front rest has a slight rotation that allows a certain amount of horizontal tracking. I see this one seems to have a wide and flat front rest to allow the rifle to slide right and left a little bit for horizontal tracking. I don’t know which would be better, but I do feel like some form of flexibility to allow for horizontal tracking is essential.

The Vipers look pretty spendy, at least direct from the manufacturer. Any clue how they compare to the other quad stick alternatives. I like the concept of the Blasers since the front rest has a slight rotation that allows a certain amount of horizontal tracking. I see this one seems to have a wide and flat front rest to allow the rifle to slide right and left a little bit for horizontal tracking. I don’t know which would be better, but I do feel like some form of flexibility to allow for horizontal tracking is essential.
Another less expensive option from Gun Stix...
https://gunstix.com/

I know @TOBY458 has a set of these he picked up on Amazon but I can't find them, except on the Gun Stix website.

Gun Stix are nearly the same and less than half the cost. The problem I have with them is they are over 30" long when broken down which creates a packing problem for me. Viper-Flex are 5" shorter when collapsed and incorporate carbon fiber into the construction but cost $300 more than the Gun Stix. This is where my problem lies.

Tell you what. Ease my pain and buy the spotting scope I have in the classifieds...I'll get the Viper-Flex and do a complete review. :LOL:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.39.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.39.03 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.39.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.39.04 AM.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.39.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.39.06 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 76
I have viper in carbon and Rudolph sticks .very minimal difference. Perhaps just packing size . Vipers are almost $400 and Rudolph are 125. Sorry I ever bought the vipers.

VIPER FLEX or any good quad stick. Get the kind that pack down to fit in a suitcase. Not to open the whole “other things that can be in your rife case on an international air flight” can of worms, but I wouldn’t hesitate to pack shooting sticks in a rifle case if not connecting through Europe/UK.

Take what you're comfortable with. My PH's shooting sticks were s**t. Next time I'm taking my own.
@TucsonFX4 - This is what happened to me as well...our PH had crap sticks but we had brought our own. Make the space to take what you have been practicing with.

Another less expensive option from Gun Stix...
https://gunstix.com/

I know @TOBY458 has a set of these he picked up on Amazon but I can't find them, except on the Gun Stix website.

Gun Stix are nearly the same and less than half the cost. The problem I have with them is they are over 30" long when broken down which creates a packing problem for me. Viper-Flex are 5" shorter when collapsed and incorporate carbon fiber into the construction but cost $300 more than the Gun Stix. This is where my problem lies.

Tell you what. Ease my pain and buy the spotting scope I have in the classifieds...I'll get the Viper-Flex and do a complete review. :LOL:
The Gunstix are what I'm using. Guess my suitcase is a bit longer than yours as they will fit when collapsed. I have been making sure my suitcases will accommodate dive fins for a long time, so longer, narrower, suitcases have been the norm for awhile.
My plan is to put them in the Pelican with the rifle when it comes time to go to Africa though, rather than a more flexible suitcase.

The Gunstix are what I'm using. Guess my suitcase is a bit longer than yours as they will fit when collapsed. I have been making sure my suitcases will accommodate dive fins for a long time, so longer, narrower, suitcases have been the norm for awhile.
My plan is to put them in the Pelican with the rifle when it comes time to go to Africa though, rather than a more flexible suitcase.
For that price I might develop a limp and require a "cane" for airline travel. :ROFLMAO:

Are the Blasers available in the US? I did a quick search but could only find the manufacturer site with high shipping and eBay, which I don’t care for much or trust, plus who knows if it’s a knock off or not.
Spartan makes the Blasers

I agree with the ones extolling the virtue of Gunstix (and Gunstix-like designs). They are by far the most solid shooting platform I've ever used, short of a bench of course. Those will take away every amount of trepidation you may feel while taking a shot at your next African trophy.

Thanks for sharing. I still failed at finding them here, but that’s ok because this website is costing me too much money :Greedy:
It's not going to be cheap but buying from Sparton is a deal compared to Blaser. And Blaser was a dick using a different diameter mount. The sparton system is every bit as Lego as the Blaser.

It's not going to be cheap but buying from Sparton is a deal compared to Blaser. And Blaser was a dick using a different diameter mount. The sparton system is every bit as Lego as the Blaser.
Do you have a link for the Sparton version? Since I feel like a failure at this point for not finding it, I just need a direct link. All my searches come up empty, the closest being Spartan precision equipment, but they seem to only have rifle mounted bipods and one or two crazy expensive tripods, no quad sticks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.46.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.46.47 PM.png
    6 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.46.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.46.50 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.46.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.46.52 PM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 64

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiapowerballk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!