shooting 375 H/H

I am going back to South Africa in 2026. Want to hunt buffalo this time. My PH says the have a 375 I can use. I can practice here with a friends 416 Rem. since I have never shot a DG rifle before my question is how does the recoil compare between these guns?

As far as recoil is concerned, the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is more to classify to the category of the various cartridges caliber 9,3mm. In all cases, the recoil of the cartridge 416 Remington Magnum is significantly stronger but still very manageable, so if you can handle a rifle of this caliber, as some members have already written you are well prepared to hunt with a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum. As a side note, if you are thinking about buying later a rifle for hunting in Africa, think about the cartridge 416 Remington Magnum which is very universal when it comes to hunting in Africa, which means it does everything the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum does, but is far superior when it comes to hunting big game.

I hunt with a .375 H&H, as well as a .416 Hoffman (which is basically a .416 Remington. If I’m taking 2 rifles it’s generally my .338 & .416 and if 1 rifle the .375 goes. The .375 is easy to shoot compared to the .416 and especially the .45 and bigger calibers.

If you get a well fitted stock, especially a foam filled fiberglass stock like a Brown Precision, you’ll find felt recoil is very comfortable.

Honestly the recoil from my 12 gauge 870 with 3" turkey/ waterfowl shells is worse than my .375. I'd imagine if you're training with a. 416 you'll be fine.

If you just want to get used to recoil and beat yourself up shoot a pump shotgun with cheap steel waterfowl shells. If you can shoot that you can shoot anything.

But as others have said, train with a .22 a lot, as well as the .416. The .375 isn't nearly as scary as people that have never shot one say it is.

Cheers

If it were me I would shoot that 416 as often as I could, 10/20 rounds a week with the full knowledge that if I could grow to find the 416 acceptable as to recoil and accuracy I could handle any 375.

Most people can learn to shoot a 375H&H with weekly range sessions and daily dry fire practice.

I would highly recommend getting your own 375 rifle because it’s about the most versatile caliber used for hunting Africa.

For about $5K (USD) you can have a (used) DG ready rifle with another $1K for scope & QD mounts.

About 6 months of consistent practice will have you putting trophies in the salt.
@BeeMaa agree - Get Your OWN RIFLE…and even think with some luck—he can find good Used .375 for around $2000 and Good (Not great) low power scope (Leupold 1.5-5) for $500 (then sell the rig for about the same upon his return). It he’s already a rifle shooter with average experience and basic skill then 6-10 weekly trips to the range, shooting no more then a box each time, is adequate. My rifle practice was mostly with a .30-06 each session and then 1/2 box of .375 at the end. After sighting in - No more shooting off the Bench: Sitting, off hand, and Off Sticks. Also, Mount & Dry Fire drills at home several times a week. Preparing for a Safari is FUN, everyone should enjoy it.

If it were me I would shoot that 416 as often as I could, 10/20 rounds a week with the full knowledge that if I could grow to find the 416 acceptable as to recoil and accuracy I could handle any 375.
@Luvthunt - I get the strategy but if —-IF you develop a “flinch” from all that .416 shooting (very possible) then you’re negatively affected and very difficult to UNlearn a flinch.

Everyone has to decide for themselves. When you start hunting big game and especially buffaloes, you have to gain experience first and starting with the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is not a bad option. Whether you should buy a rifle of this caliber at first as long as you are not sure about which cartridge is more suitable, is another question. I have shot few buffaloes with the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum or similar, but have never owned a rifle of this calibers. The rest is a question of will and practice, and as far as the flinch is concerned, many hunters have it before and that with rifles of calibers without any heavy recoil.

Last edited:
Flinches are tricky…you will think you are ok in the middle of a flinch. I train a LOT more with the 22 than with anything else. I shoot more
22 than all else combined and entirely from sticks or other field positions. I start and end all sessions with the 22. I think practicing with heavy duck loads and a gritty trigger is a great way to develop a flinch or trigger lock, which is even worse.

Nobody has said dry fire yet but that and rimfire practice should far outweigh mashing big bore primers. You wallet will agree with me.

Everyone has to decide for themselves. When you start hunting big game and especially buffaloes, you have to gain experience first and starting with the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is not a bad option. Whether you should buy a rifle of this caliber at first as long as you are not sure about which cartridge is more suitable, is another question. I have shot few buffaloes with the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum or similar, but have never owned a rifle of this calibers. The rest is a question of will and practice, and as far as the flinch is concerned, many hunters have it before and that with rifles of calibers without any heavy recoil.
@grand veneur - I’ve read (don’t recall Authors name) that most Rifle shooters will be negatively affected by recoil above .30-06. I believe that is true and have discussed with several guys I hunt and shoot with - one disagreed and bragged about how his .300 Win mag recoil does “Not bother him” at all. My challenge to him “lets shoot 40 rounds at Target @ 50 yrds Off Hand - you with .300 Win Mag and Me with .22-250”. He is as good or better than me with a rifle and better with shotgun. His first 3 shots were in a 5” circle, his next 3 in 8” and after that 10” became the norm —- I was able to keep mine all inside 5-6” for the first box…then We quit —- he still couldn’t admit he was “Flinching”. I know this proves NOTHING but it did keep him “quiet” for the rest of the day…..we are still good friends. I know that it’s usually only the First Shot that matters but when you add in the adrenaline factor of shooting at a Trophy, being rushed to take the shot sometimes etc… I believe that recoil & flinch are a Factor and the only question is “How much”?

I shot and used a CZ-550 in 375 H&H on my 2022 safari. I'm 5'5", and about 158 Lbs soaking wet. It's all about form, and rolling with the recoil, vs fighting the recoil.

Here is the routine I used in preparation for the 2022 safari. I only shot from the sticks, unless I was checking zero on the rifle. I would start by shooting a 22 LR, followed by the 375 H&H, and then I would finish with the 22 LR. I would shoot the 375 H&H until my body said no more. At first it was 3-5 rounds, and then I could handle a box.

The 416 Rem is not that difficult to shoot, and I believe you'll be fine. However, this is what I would do. If you are concerned about recoil, do not shoot the rifle from the bench, get used to shooting this rifle from the sticks, because that is what you'll have in Africa. Start by shooting a 22LR if you/your friend has one and get used to shooting from the sticks. Shoot the 416 a couple of time during every session, and increase the number as you get more comfortable with the 416 Rem. Shooting 22LR is a lot cheaper than shooting the 416 Rem.

Para45 gives good advice but he is also experienced and knows his own limits. I know there is talk here of shooting a box of shells or more at a time but that’s not very relevant to being able to place one or two shots on target. I don’t need to keep increasing endurance to get to 30-40 shots of heavy recoil. I’ve done it but there isn’t much return and there is a significant chance of bad habits. There is a cumulative effect of recoil over a lifetime.

I practice to get a result or progress and then I stop and shoot more 22 to end on a win. I might do that a few times but I rarely shoot 20+ rounds from the same big bore in 1 session. I also usually have 3-4 guns I’m working with at a time so that is a factor. Recoil is physical of course but MUCH more mental than people realize. Practicing 416 Rigby this weekend, I let the recoil wash over me and said each time…it’s just a little noise and push…over quickly and let it go. If you start to dread the next shot, you need to stop or get back on the 22. I usually have a 22 and big bore together so I can also let the big gun cool off.

Like said before a 375 doesn’t kick as bad as a 3 inch 12ga , a 416 = a 10ga ,
i bought my 375Ruger from a guy that spent some time and money stripping off weight
to make it a lighter weight easier to carry rifle, @ 7 lbs it produced 60-62 lbs of recoil
he dumped it to me , I reversed the weight process and added weight and stability
by adding 1 3/4 lbs of lead and foam , and ditching the maximum load reload
padding the cheek Comb and new recoil pad , with 300gr & 80gr of 4350 or hornday DGX it’s felt recoil is 38-40 lbs , with 235 deer loads it’s like my 300wm
my buddies Winchester m70 safari is even better, a good wood stock trumps a composite every time imo .

I shot and used a CZ-550 in 375 H&H on my 2022 safari. I'm 5'5", and about 158 Lbs soaking wet. It's all about form, and rolling with the recoil, vs fighting the recoil.

Here is the routine I used in preparation for the 2022 safari. I only shot from the sticks, unless I was checking zero on the rifle. I would start by shooting a 22 LR, followed by the 375 H&H, and then I would finish with the 22 LR. I would shoot the 375 H&H until my body said no more. At first it was 3-5 rounds, and then I could handle a box.

The 416 Rem is not that difficult to shoot, and I believe you'll be fine. However, this is what I would do. If you are concerned about recoil, do not shoot the rifle from the bench, get used to shooting this rifle from the sticks, because that is what you'll have in Africa. Start by shooting a 22LR if you/your friend has one and get used to shooting from the sticks. Shoot the 416 a couple of time during every session, and increase the number as you get more comfortable with the 416 Rem. Shooting 22LR is a lot cheaper than shooting the 416 Rem.
This is good advice.

Once I’ve confirmed zero, all shooting practice before a safari is only off my Gunstix. It’s much more comfortable shooting off sticks than sitting and that’s how nearly everything will be shot on most safaris, so practice the way you’ll hunt. While most hunters have not yet gotten a set of ‘Gunstix’ shooting sticks, you should. They are noticeably more stable than regular sticks and make accurate shooting much easier Since they support the rifle both on the forend and butt. Also, the above advice about only shooting the heavy caliber just a few times and a smaller caliber more is very good. You do not need to shoot a heavy rifle much in any practice session, even if you can.

Last edited:
@grand veneur - I’ve read (don’t recall Authors name) that most Rifle shooters will be negatively affected by recoil above .30-06. I believe that is true and have discussed with several guys I hunt and shoot with - one disagreed and bragged about how his .300 Win mag recoil does “Not bother him” at all. My challenge to him “lets shoot 40 rounds at Target @ 50 yrds Off Hand - you with .300 Win Mag and Me with .22-250”. He is as good or better than me with a rifle and better with shotgun. His first 3 shots were in a 5” circle, his next 3 in 8” and after that 10” became the norm —- I was able to keep mine all inside 5-6” for the first box…then We quit —- he still couldn’t admit he was “Flinching”. I know this proves NOTHING but it did keep him “quiet” for the rest of the day…..we are still good friends. I know that it’s usually only the First Shot that matters but when you add in the adrenaline factor of shooting at a Trophy, being rushed to take the shot sometimes etc… I believe that recoil & flinch are a Factor and the only question is “How much”?

It's true that many people have a flinch when waiting for the recoil, but If you want to shoot accurate, you have to lose this habit , no matter what caliber you shoot, even the biggest ones. During hunter training, we see flinching as something very negative that has to be trained away or forces the hunter to shoot only the rifles they are still somewhat familiar, with the result that some species of game cannot be hunted.

The not so accurate shooting with bigger calibers can also be explained by factors other than the flinch. You hold a rifle with strong recoil in a completely different way which can have a negative impact on precision. A lot remains a question of training.

agreed ,first time in my life, I shot my PH's 375 when I took my water buck, didnt even notice the recoil at all.
It may rattle your teeth when practicing but in the field you won't hear or feel it. A 375HH recoil is more of a push than a jab like others. Get a Past Recoil Shield and you're good to go. A Win 70 Safari Express at about 10 lbs is just about ideal. The King of Rifles for anything from mice to elephant.

It's true that many people have a flinch when waiting for the recoil, but If you want to shoot accurate, you have to lose this habit , no matter what caliber you shoot, even the biggest ones. During hunter training, we see flinching as something very negative that has to be trained away or forces the hunter to shoot only the rifles they are still somewhat familiar, with the result that some species of game cannot be hunted.

The not so accurate shooting with bigger calibers can also be explained by factors other than the flinch. You hold a rifle with strong recoil in a completely different way which can have a negative impact on precision. A lot remains a question of training.
@grand veneur: the affects of recoil are cummulative and with enough shooting - can negatively affect anyone, some more then others. Thants why nobody shoots 200-300 practice rounds thru their .375/.416+ in a day at the range the way they might with a .223. A good light/crisp trigger can help reduce flinch but I don’t think shooting 100s of rounds helps - even competitive shotgun/Clays shooters shoot light loads when possible

At the highest levels of competition (Olympic, etc), much of the training is dry fire even with air rifle competitors. I shot bullseye competitively and if you aren't dry firing a lot, then you will probably get beaten by someone who is. All that to say, you can do a LOT with proper dry fire and never leave the house. It's a great technique to diagnose and get rid of flinching or keep it from entering your shot routine.

It’s not really a difficult caliber to shoot generally. I’ve been hunting with a .375 since I was 12. It’s really more of a push than a sharp kick.

Obviously rifle weight matters.

I think some of the smaller magnums in lighter rifles are actually more unpleasant to shoot.

What part of the world are you in?? Maybe there is a member near you with a .375 who would let you touch off a few rounds just to help ease your mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alloroprivatedining

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with