Shipping the big 5

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
Has any one heard or had any issues shipping any of the big 5 back to the states? I just spoke to my importer and they specifically asked if I had any of the big 5, stating they didnt know if it was a anti hunting thing or not but some of the airlines will not transport them.
Which causes more costs

Yes, anti-hunting. Turkish Airlines is the option now.

Had cape buffalo bought in this year on Lufthansa.

I certainly do not wish to get anyone in trouble, but a "good buddy" of mine has recently imported multiple Big 5 animals on an airline not named Turkish. Also, a good buddy of the "good buddy" has done the same. All paperwork was in good order and the airline and USFWS knew what was included in the crates.

This is one point where a knowledgeable importer is light and day above any of the others that might do your importing.

I certainly do not wish to get anyone in trouble, but a "good buddy" of mine has recently imported multiple Big 5 animals on an airline not named Turkish. Also, a good buddy of the "good buddy" has done the same. All paperwork was in good order and the airline and USFWS knew what was included in the crates.
That’s very interesting, would really like to know how they managed it. There was a rumor that the airline from Israel may start a couple of years ago.

How was the price comparison?
This particular crate had 10 shoulder mounts, 2 euro mounts, and a couple backskins. The crate was 4' wide, 5' tall, and 8' long. The cost for shipping was about $6,500 if I remember correctly.

That’s very interesting, would really like to know how they managed it. There was a rumor that the airline from Israel may start a couple of years ago.
As I understand it, it's 100% legitimate. My "buddy" got quotes from three other willing airlines in addition to Turkish. In fact, it was Turkish that wouldn't carry leopards traveling through South Africa. Further, as @JimP has previously stated, a knowledgeable importer is a necessity.

Check carefully with Turkish, they will not accept most Cites 1 trophies !

Turkish wouldn’t export my leopard recently. Had it send via Ethiopian with no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tokiwart00th

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with