Shipping the Big 5!!!

Huntforever

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I understand there's only 2 airlines that ship the BiG 5. Is that correct?

Has anyone gotten pricing for shipping a Big 5 animals and been through the process?

Can't help you much but I would think that this is where a good importer would come in very helpful..

I shipped leopard from Namibia in June 2022. I used yellow shark for shipping and handling in Namibia. If my memory is correct I had leopard, full skin and skull, dik dik full skin and skull, most of the skin of a zebra, and a skull and skin of a spring bok. The airfare portion was under 1000 USD. it shipped with Ethiopian air from Windhoek to Chicago for Kanati to pick up. I applied for USFWS permit my self with a few issues (I would do it again) Fauna and flora handled import on US side. I didn’t incur storage fees at airport or F and F waiting for inspection.

Whichever taxidermist you choose over there to prep your shipment can hook you up with the logistics outfit that will handle the shipping. In these times estimates might not be that accurate. I got an estimate during my planning process and it ended up being 2 1/2 times that due to the outrageous and sudden increase in fuel prices. If you have one of the big five then the whole shipment goes that way. Turkish handled mine.

I never had an issue getting any of my Big 5 shipped other than elephant and that is because it was not approved by USFWS. It was taken in November of 2014. Took a buffalo 2 days after and that shipped with no issues. Lion from RSA was in 2015 so before the issues got serious. Rhino taken in December 2015 shipped pretty quickly but of course in 2016. No issues at all,, had it tanned in RSA to reduce weight. Showed up on my doorstep folded nicely in a compact sturdy box. Leopard from Mozambique was home pretty quickly. No issues there.

Got 3 more big 5 animals and a slew of PG coming from Tanzania, permits all approved and shipping being arranged by SSI.

This is a recent issue caused by the USA airlines refusesing to fly the Big 5.

If they can't outlaw hunting they will make it impossible or very expensive to fly them home.

SCI needs to address this major issue.
Which airlines will not ship? Trying to find something definitive.

Passenger airlines are all going woke, but most cargo airlines will carry any type of trophies.

I understand there's only 2 airlines that ship the BiG 5. Is that correct?

Has anyone gotten pricing for shipping a Big 5 animals and been through the process?
There is not enough detail here in the questions. What animals? What country? When are you hunting?
First of all there are many ways to ship the Big 5. This is not your problem it is the shippers. The process is what it is. If you have a good shipper and importer things will go well. Be patient.

The question isn't about importer regulations or the exporting country's. Or the primts/ cites tags.

The animals in question are the Big 5.

The issue is that only 2 airlines are still allowing the shipment of the BIG 5 and that all USA based companies have stopped. I'm hearing reports the cost of shipping the Big 5 as sky rocketed because of this issue.

Has anyone shipped any Big 5 animals in the last year to the USA?

Yes. 9/28/22
Had Buffalo skull and cape plus plains game.
Dimensions. 148x108x81 cm
Weight. 210
Freight cost Turkish Air Johannesburg to Dallas. $2,710.15

Everything to do with pricing of Air freight has gone wild the last couple of years.

Big 5 animals are treated differently. IDT you're going to get your elephant. So, Big 4! Could be Big 3 down the pike (-Lions).

I'm currently not hunting elephant for the record. I'm just looking at leopard and possibly Buffalo. Maybe one day though

Almost everything from anywhere in Africa has been coming in from Turkish Air lately. Plains game plus big 5 . Not sure exactly why. Cost ? Only ones who will fly it ? Don't know.

If these carriers continue to refuse to ship trophies it may be an opportunity for someone to step up and start a business doing shipments. Imagine the amount of business if all your competition bows out and you’re the sole provider. It may also be a necessary move to support the future of the Safari business.
Imagine the potential of a company shipping and clearing trophies for their clients and how much smoother it could be.

My buffalo cape and skull plus a full hyena skin and skull and zebra skin shipped from Zambia via Qatar for $1741 January of 2022.

my 2021 buff came on Turkish Airline

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alloroprivatedining

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with