AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
National Sportsman Association, NRA Life Member
Hunted
North America, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, South Africa
I just bought a Whitworth 7x57mm and am looking for a good factory round for PG. I will eventually reload for it, but for now, I am going to stick to factory loaded. I already have too many projects to take on load development for yet another caliber!

Just like the title asks, has anyone used this ammo on game? How did it perform? Is it accurate?

While I prefer heavy for caliber for the 7mm Mauser, the only factory loaded ammo I found readily available was Federal 175 gr. PowerShoks and S&B 173 gr. SPCE, which are old school cup and core. Nothing wrong with that but I have heard the S&B 173s, in particular, are a little on the soft side.

I am a fan of mono's after using TSX/TTSX in S. Africa with great results so I am thinking that the S&B TXRG monolithic coppers might be a good option?

Thanks in advance!

Myself I would think they’re going a bit slow for an all copper bullet. I don’t know of anyone with firsthand reports. But I would guess it’s similar to the Barnes TSX which needs to be around 2000 FPS to open adequately.

Your whitworth the one that sold on GB with a 1-4x leupold scope yesterday?

If you come across Hornady GMX 140 try them , they shot right in my 7x57

Yes, I’ve used them to hunt red stag in Denmark. Very accurate and potent ammunition. But the propellant burns a little dirty, so be sure to give your rifle barrel a thorough cleaning afterwards.

I just bought a Whitworth 7x57mm and am looking for a good factory round for PG. I will eventually reload for it, but for now, I am going to stick to factory loaded. I already have too many projects to take on load development for yet another caliber!

Just like the title asks, has anyone used this ammo on game? How did it perform? Is it accurate?

While I prefer heavy for caliber for the 7mm Mauser, the only factory loaded ammo I found readily available was Federal 175 gr. PowerShoks and S&B 173 gr. SPCE, which are old school cup and core. Nothing wrong with that but I have heard the S&B 173s, in particular, are a little on the soft side.

I am a fan of mono's after using TSX/TTSX in S. Africa with great results so I am thinking that the S&B TXRG monolithic coppers might be a good option?

Thanks in advance!
I use S&B 7x57 brass for my Ruger 275 Rigby. The factory rounds in 140 gr shoot quite well. The brass however is a bit out of spec. The head, for example won’t fit in RCBS shell holder. Plus the brass case head is a bit thinner than REM. Or Win. Brass. When I re-prime using my Lee priming tool, the primers don’t quite fit just a bit below the case head as they should. Instead, they seat a bit proud and require a run through my old RCBS primer to seat fully just a bit below the case head.

Myself I would think they’re going a bit slow for an all copper bullet. I don’t know of anyone with firsthand reports. But I would guess it’s similar to the Barnes TSX which needs to be around 2000 FPS to open adequately.

Your whitworth the one that sold on GB with a 1-4x leupold scope yesterday?
Yes, that's the one I just bought. I love the Whitworth rifles and really wanted a classic 7mm Mauser to hunt PG in Africa.

Yes, I’ve used them to hunt red stag in Denmark. Very accurate and potent ammunition. But the propellant burns a little dirty, so be sure to give your rifle barrel a thorough cleaning afterwards.
Good to hear! Great to hear of some first hand experience with this round, especially from someone as esteemed as yourself, Sir.

Thank you all for the feedback thus far, please keep it coming!

I use them in my 7x57 and they have been very effective. Fallow bucks being the largest deer it has shot

We load the similar Barnes 150 TSX in my daughter's 7x57 and it has worked well in Africa and here. I only have one pic here at hand of a recovered bullet from a black bear she shot, but the bullet expanded well and put the bear down with one shot cleanly...

Sav Bear Bullet.jpg

Sav & Bear.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenPum

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles