Self-importing zebra mount to the US

saulius

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m not a hunter, but I recently bought a zebra shoulder mount as a souvenir from a taxidermist shop in South Africa. The shop is providing me with the export permit and all the necessary documentation. I plan to take the mount home with me to the U.S. as part of my checked baggage on my flight.

However, I’m a bit unsure about whether I need to file U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) Form 3-177. The taxidermist told me that since the zebra skin is fully tanned, processed, and mounted on wood, making it a finished product, and since I’m not shipping it via freight, he believes I don’t need to file any forms.

Can anyone clarify if I still need to submit Form 3-177 in this situation? Appreciate any guidance, thanks!

How are you going to package it to get it as checked baggage?? Seems like you would be over size.

I think people do it with zebra rugs, but I’ve never heard of anyone flying back a shoulder mount. Hopefully others have some better insight.

Maybe check with US fish and wildlife. I’ve found them to be surprisingly helpful.

I bet you'll find out as you clear Customs carrying it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:. Please don't take this as legal or expert advice, but I also think you don't need to file anything and the SA taxidermist is probably correct.

Tell the airline that you’re blind and it’s your seeing eye dog.

When they tell you it’s a zebra mount act surprised. Tell them someone must have stolen your seeing eye dog.

Tell the airline that you’re blind and it’s your seeing eye dog.

When they tell you it’s a zebra mount act surprised. Tell them someone must have stolen your seeing eye dog.
Or you could start out with "I grew up in a middle class family". That seems to be working for someone with brains on the low rung of the totem pole.

I've imported moose antlers, roe buck and muntjac antlers as checked luggage coming from Sweden and the UK. In both cases, I called the USFW Service office at the airport I was coming through (Atlanta and DFW). They had different procedures, but both asked me to tell them when I was coming, send the 3-177 form, and for Atlanta (10 years ago) they had me fill in another form with my contact details, flight schedule and what I was brining. In both cases, they informed Customs that they could clear me and they weren't going to come over to inspect my import.

In both cases, the Customs person didn't know that USFWS had contact their office, but IMO telling them that I had communicated with USFWS cleared the way. So, your mileage may vary, but I'd go ahead and call the USFWS office at your port of entry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kefukequmeihu26

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?