Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, RMEF, NRA, DSC, NWTF, DU
Hunted
USA(KY,MO,TN,TX) South Africa, New Zealand, Namibia
Have safari planned, unfortunately not till '23. Recently acquired CZ550 in .416 Rigby for buffalo hunt. Want to ask for second rifle for plains game, always enjoy the discussion. I have a number of choices 30-06, 300WM, 9.3x62 and .375H&H. Recommendations and comments?

One vote for the 300 Win. Have used mine on two PG hunts with great success. 180 gr Partition or TTSX at 2900 does the job just about perfectly for PG.

Seems like 300WM or 9.3 will fill the PG gap nicely.

Sure you could use 375, but your 416 covers the upper range of what you'd need it for anyway.

30-06 would work, but the 300 and 9.3 offer better flexability IMO.

Murphy says to take the 375HH as a backup to your 416 for DG. Use for PG when the Rigby never fails.... :-)

My vote goes to the 9.3x62. I have shot multiple species in Africa using the Barnes 286 gr TSX. From Springbok and Jackal to Eland all have been one shot and DRT. The combination of incredible penetration, moderate velocity, and easily manageable recoil make this my all time favorite.

300 winmag. It's good for everything up to eland. My 2 gun battery for 2018 and 2019 was a 375H&H double and a Model 70 300 winmag shooting Federal's 200 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo.

Thanks for all the above comments and suggestions. I know this topic comes up frequently but I enjoy the discussion about caliber choices. I'm leaning toward the 9.3 as a historical choice in combo with the Rigby. Don't think long range will be an issue.

Kdenn, on my last hunt I took a 404 Jeffrey and a 35 Whelen. Which IMHO is very comparable to the battery you are contemplating. I didn't feel either under or over gunned.

Kdenn, on my last hunt I took a 404 Jeffrey and a 35 Whelen. Which IMHO is very comparable to the battery you are contemplating. I didn't feel either under or over gunned.
9.3x62. You're covered for everything. Plenty for all pg and can be used for dg in a pinch. Barnes 286gr TSX will handle all you might encounter. Good luck and enjoy.

my vote goes to 300 win mag.

May not get a longer shot but just in case, I'd opt for the 300WM with a 180 gr. bullet.

What are you trying to accomplish with the second rifle? Unless you’ll be really hoofing it and the 416 is too heavy or you are trying to cover some long-range shooting, the 416 will work just fine on plains game. One less thing to carry.

my opinion is based on shooting plains game with my 404. It is scoped and easily as accurate as my 30-06. If your 416 would limit you in some way on plains game (iron sights, not adequately accurate at anticipated range, etc) then my advice depends on the specifics of the rifles and anticipated shooting conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TodCrayton

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?