Searching for less expensive Buffalo hunt

Lmcquin

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I would love to hunt Buffalo but the typical price is out of my price range. Is it possible to hunt “non-trophy” or those with a busted set of horns etc at a lesser price. I’m more after the adventure than the trophy itself I’d that makes sense.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and offers as well.

Yes, many outfitters sell non-trophy buffalo hunts. The may be broken horns, shorter horns or weak genetics. They will be mature, just not the big trophy bull.

You can also look at cow hunts for even less money.

Ask and ye shall receive?
IMG_0548.jpeg

OP, one thing to consider if you have a strict budget, cheapest doesn’t necessarily translate into quality hunting. Unless you just want to shoot rather than hunt a buffalo, look for the type of hunt you want first, then narrow down options.

I hate to sound like an elitist, but I wish some species were never incorporated into the game ranching model. Buffalo is one of those.

Now that I’ve triggered half the audience…

If you are truly looking for adventure focused on the overall experience rather than the harvest, I’d suggest shifting to a free-roaming species that offers a tracking-style hunt that mimics a buffalo hunt. Perhaps eland in Northern Namibia? My personal experience has been that the two are virtually the same hunt…as long as you can shoot.

Last edited:
I hate to sound like an elitist, but I wish some species were never incorporated into the game ranching model. Buffalo is one of those.

Now that I’ve triggered half the audience…

If you are truly looking for adventure focused on the overall experience rather than the harvest, I’d suggest shifting to a free-roaming species that offers a tracking-style hunt that mimics a buffalo hunt. Perhaps eland in Northern Namibia? My personal experience his been that the two are virtually the same hunt…as long as you can shoot.
I assume you could track for a Buffalo cow as well, although it will be tracking the herd and not a lone animal. Do cows branch out on their own like bulls do?

If you are truly looking for adventure focused on the overall experience rather than the harvest, I’d suggest shifting to a free-roaming species that offers a tracking-style hunt that mimics a buffalo hunt. Perhaps eland in Northern Namibia? My personal experience his been that the two are virtually the same hunt…as long as you can shoot.
I agree with this. Instead of cheapening the hunt, just hunt species within your budget while you save up for the buff hunt. Tracking eland or blue wildebeest, aka poor man's Buffalo, can be a great hunt at a much lower price. And you can hunt multiples in one trip and still come in lower than a single buff. I have never hunted buffalo in Africa, but blue wildebeest was my favorite hunt out of two safaris.

I agree with this. Instead of cheapening the hunt, just hunt species within your budget while you save up for the buff hunt. Tracking eland or blue wildebeest, aka poor man's Buffalo, can be a great hunt at a much lower price. And you can hunt multiples in one trip and still come in lower than a single buff. I have never hunted buffalo in Africa, but blue wildebeest was my favorite hunt out of two safaris.

It's not the same adrenaline rush, IMHO.

Lmcquin.
- cow or bull?
- free range or not?
- country preference?
- price range?

This is what you’re looking for. Proper tracking hunt with a great outfit @BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS

It's not the same adrenaline rush, IMHO.

That is right, if you want to hunt buffalo you don't want to hunt antelopes.

For me, a cow or another substitute would also not be an alternative to a buffalo bull hunting. You have the buffalo herd in front of you, see the bulls and then have to shoot a poor old cow. That is not very satisfying. In this case I prefer to hunt something completely different.

The hunt we were just on with Dalton & York in Zimbabwe would be about $15K which is a very good price. As has been said here already, be careful about the type of hunt you wind up with and ask lots of questions beforehand.

The TS has not reply so far so that we do not know what he means by cheap.

For me, $15K are also relatively cheap, if is it the final price, what at the end you have really to pay. To time but I often multiply everything twice to have an idea of the possible final price.

The TS has not reply so far so that we do not know what he means by cheap.

For me, $15K are also relatively cheap, if is it the final price, what at the end you have really to pay. To time but I often multiply everything twice to have an idea of the possible final price.

Philip can clarify, but an all in price usually means daily rate, and trophy fee for one buffalo. It would not include additional trophy fees, flights from your home to Harare/Bulawayo, taxidermy, shipping, additional nights in Bulawayo/Harare. It may or may not include the drive from the airport to camp. It certainly would not include charter flights if you opted for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertaNilk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.