Scotland Suggestions

Berettaco

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Hello all,

We are planning a 10-day vacation to Scotland in either March or April and hoping to get some suggestions of great places or shops to check out. Right now the rough plan is to visit Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. I would like to play a round of golf (previously been to St. Andrews and carnoustie but that was 25 years ago) but would probably find a less famous local course this time, visit some distilleries, and see some castles. Probably no hunting of any sort on this trip.
Anything you enjoyed or would recommend to visit would be appreciated.

I’ve driven past all three, but I spent more time in the rural countryside. I went up through Oban from Glasgow to Skye and spent most of my time up there.

Near Inverness is Culloden battlefield, and several worthwhile distilleries. I would also recommend visiting the Culloden House and staying a night there if you can.

Stirling Castle and Doune Castle (Monty Python) are must visits, Arthurs Seat, Edinburgh Castle… Hiking in the Cairngorms is highly recommended, and visiting Loch Lomond or Loch Ness.

There is a gun store right in Edinburgh. I think it has a Barbour or Berretta sign out front. The guns in rear of store. They had some nice new and used guns. I cannot remember which street it was on, but we were just walking down the Main Street below castle south, there is shopping on one side and a beautiful park on the other side. It’s been like 10yrs ago, so memory could be off. Visit castle too, lots of cool history. I wouldn’t hesitate to spend two days just in or around Edinburgh. Very friendly city!
We also drove along the coastal pathway to St Andrew’s. Very awesome drive and great little communities along way. Great fish and chips in Anstruther.

We visited Blair castle in lower highlands. It was amazing. There is also the world’s oldest tree we visited, up a valley with a couple distilleries along the way. It was cool seeing pheasants in the wild. Aberfeldy was a neat distillery we walked around, but they were closed on Sunday we went, which seems to be the norm there for everything

A lot to see and while you’re there. We spent 4 days in Edinburgh and took day trips with rabbies tours, then spent 3 days driving around. This list may give you some ideas.

Edinburgh Castle
Holyrood Palace/Abbey
Scottish National Museum
Scottish National Gallery
Dourne Castle
Kilchurn Castle
Roslyn Chapel
Melrose Abbey
Stirling Castle
John Dickson & Son (Dunkeld)
Dalwhinny Distillery
Hadrians Wall
Lanercost Abbey
Inveraray Castle

Ken

We had a great time in this place: https://wolfburn.com/pages/tours. Much better than the large-scale distilleries.

FWIW, if you have the time, it is not a long ferry ride to Orkney, Scapa Flow is interesting, and were gobsmacked by the Italian POW Chapel.

Play Braided Hills (The Braids) the couse was built in late 1800s and over looks Edinbourgh. Its a 20 minute taxi ride from downtown. I was rained on 3 times, hailed on twice and never plaed in less than a 20mph wind, true Scottish golf. Its a walking couse only, the greens fee, club rental and pull cart was mabey 80 pounds.

Bring your own golf balls, it has the worst pro shop I have ever seen and no driving range There is however a great driving range with a huge pro shop a mile past the course.

I played this course in March of this year, I'd play it again in a heart beat.

Braided Hills.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMcAuley

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles