Scope recommendations on a .404J

I have two scopes for my 404J with Talley QD mounts... a Leupold VX3 1.5-5X and a Leupold VX6 1-6X with no. 4 reticle and firedot. I've shot it with both scopes and prefer the VX3 - it's smaller and lighter. The VX6 has slightly better optics, but is bulkier and heavier.

Just come back from gun shop, this was on the table.
I like mine. I had it mounted on my 9.3x62 for a while, used it for hunting the deer woods of south Louisiana. Really clear optics in low light.

Looks like there's a trend towards red dot on big bore rifles. The shop recommended the Trijicon. Options are available with slight magnification if needed. No stock so I've got some time to make a decision.

My general feeling my rifle is not an AR, not sure it's what i want, rather stick to traditional scope. I've never shot with one, handgun or rifle, perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.

I like mine. I had it mounted on my 9.3x62 for a while, used it for hunting the deer woods of south Louisiana. Really clear optics in low light.
I have VX5-HD on other rifles. It's an incredible product.

Looks like there's a trend towards red dot on big bore rifles. The shop recommended the Trijicon. Options are available with slight magnification is needed. No stock so I've got some time to make a decision.

My general feeling my rifle is not an AR, not sure it's what i want, rather stick to traditional scope. I've never shot with one, handgun or rifle, perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.
I've got a couple. I like them, but I don't know that target acquisition is any quicker with those than it would be on 1X with a Leupold or Zeiss or what-have-you.

Given my recent experience holding a double rifle for the first time, I could see the attraction of a smaller, much-lighter optic on one of those.

Meopta MeoStar R2 1-6x24mm I might be wrong but I think they have discontinued this.

Greetings all. Been scratching around for a scope for my .404 Jeffrey. I like Leupold and would mind another. The VX-Freedom 1.5 - 4 or VX3-HD 1.5 - 5 looks worth while. If you think there's any other brand I should look at let me know.

Do you think I'm 'under scope' for this caliber? My thinking is it's mostly iron sights anyway, making a quick release a handy must have.

Thanks
I have a VX3-HD 1.5-5 x on my .416 rigby - can't go wrong with those. You might also check out the Meopta optika6 1-6x24mm - I mounted one of these on my .375 ruger recently. Similar price point and quality to the luepold.

I just picked up a new Bushnell Elite 1-4x in 30mm tube for my 404J. And it's just now going back to them. Reticle frozen. Simple duplex crosshairs and very clear. But I'm not wild about the oversize turrets. Seems unnecessary that they should be so big. For some reason that seems to be the current fad.

I just picked up a new Bushnell Elite 1-4x in 30mm tube for my 404J. And it's just now going back to them. Reticle frozen. Simple duplex crosshairs and very clear. But I'm not wild about the oversize turrets. Seems unnecessary that they should be so big. For some reason that seems to be the current fad.
I suppose the explanation for oversize turrets on this scope might be that it is marketed as "tactical." Black guns/MSRs/ARs have detachable magazines. For them turret size is not a big deal. In fact, to adjust for wind and long shots in the field (a la SEAL Team 6), big knobs for quick handling might be, I suppose, desirable. However, for a DGR, having an unnecessarily oversized booger hanging off the side of the scope over the loading port is less desirable. No need to readjust a DGR scope for wind and elevation when a buffalo fifty yards away is contemplating turning the shooter into a bloody sack of mush with clothes on. I guess scope manufacturers have to make what the market wants. Or do they make the market demand what they sell? Many a PhD thesis (including mine) has debated that question.

I suppose the explanation for oversize turrets on this scope might be that it is marketed as "tactical." Black guns/MSRs/ARs have detachable magazines. For them turret size is not a big deal. In fact, to adjust for wind and long shots in the field (a la SEAL Team 6), big knobs for quick handling might be, I suppose, desirable. However, for a DGR, having an unnecessarily oversized booger hanging off the side of the scope over the loading port is less desirable. No need to readjust a DGR scope for wind and elevation when a buffalo fifty yards away is contemplating turning the shooter into a bloody sack of mush with clothes on. I guess scope manufacturers have to make what the market wants. Or do they make the market demand what they sell? Many a PhD thesis (including mine) has debated that question.
Agreed. Complicated scopes for ordinary hunting (inside 300 yards) are a bad idea, especially for critters with platter-sized feet or fangs and claws. KISS.

The leupold 2-7 is still sitting In a box and a 3-9 is on the 375 , hope I am right on slightly more x power ?
Leupold VX-R 2-7X33

The leupold 2-7 is still sitting In a box and a 3-9 is on the 375 , hope I am right on slightly more x power ?
Not that i have any great experience hunting DG, but for my money, FOV is orders of magnitude more important in an optic than magnification.

3x FOV at 100 yards is around 30 or 35 feet, so around 8 or 9 feet at 25 yards. Area in scope at 25 yards is around 250 square feet.

2x FOV at 100 yards is around 55 - 60 ft, so 13 - 15 feet at 25 yards, area in scope is between 700 and 750 sf.

Not that i have any great experience hunting DG, but for my money, FOV is orders of magnitude more important in an optic than magnification.

3x FOV at 100 yards is around 30 or 35 feet, so around 8 or 9 feet at 25 yards. Area in scope at 25 yards is around 250 square feet.

2x FOV at 100 yards is around 55 - 60 ft, so 13 - 15 feet at 25 yards, area in scope is between 700 and 750 sf.
screwed up on the math. I used πd^2, not πr^2

3x FOV area at 25 yards is about 65 sf

2x FOV at 25 yards is about 175 sf

either way, you still get about triple the field of view on 2x magnification than you do on 3x

As I get older I admit that on scoped rifles I’m liking more power when the shots are over 100 yards. On the 404 Jeff I recommend either of these scopes:

VX-6HD 2-12X42 CDS-ZL2 ILLUM. FIREDOT DUPLEX

Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 - 4A-IF

I own both and they are exceptional in both function and clarity.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acetylcholine

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with