Scope or no Scope for Elephant hunting

I am also right handed and left eye dominate, fortunately for me my father (60 years ago) caught it at an early age and made me shoot left handed with a "you'll thank me later remark"....
But I am Cross Dominate which makes shooting with both eyes open, both rifle and shotgun difficult. Knowing that shooting with both eyes open was important he put tape on my glasses to cover the pupil on my right eye (left for you) when my head is on the stock.. You quickly get use to the thumb nail size piece of tape never seeing it when your head is up or when on the stock
My 3 trips to Africa 2 Ele Cows, 3 Buff and other assorted game have been with Iron sights and both eyes open
Toss me a PM if you want further info
IMG_0240.jpeg
 
Both probably work but it's your hunt your safari so you need to be comfortable with the choice.

Taking both rifles may leave options
 
A friend of mine shot an elephant (not his first) with my 1886 .45-90 (450 grain NF solid at 2150 fps) at 25 yards -- frontal brain shot - bullet went through brain , head, and into body -- DRT.
52608_600x400.jpg
53457_600x400.jpg

He used the barrel sight due to the close range.
On a different hunt, I used the same rifle, barrel sight, and ammo to take a running bison at 45 yards.
Shot through both shoulders and beyond - sensational end over head tumble and done!
It can be done without a scope.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am also right handed and left eye dominate, fortunately for me my father (60 years ago) caught it at an early age and made me shoot left handed with a "you'll thank me later remark"....
But I am Cross Dominate which makes shooting with both eyes open, both rifle and shotgun difficult. Knowing that shooting with both eyes open was important he put tape on my glasses to cover the pupil on my right eye (left for you) when my head is on the stock.. You quickly get use to the thumb nail size piece of tape never seeing it when your head is up or when on the stock
My 3 trips to Africa 2 Ele Cows, 3 Buff and other assorted game have been with Iron sights and both eyes open
Toss me a PM if you want further info
View attachment 503332
Your comment about learning to shoot left handed I find interesting. My left eye was dominant as a kid and I couldn’t fully close my left eye to shoot right handed. I could not shoot open sights. I shot with a patch on my left eye for several years until I trained my right eye. No issues now (after about 14 years old) both eyes fully opened shooting right handed.
 
Your comment about learning to shoot left handed I find interesting. My left eye was dominant as a kid and I couldn’t fully close my left eye to shoot right handed. I could not shoot open sights. I shot with a patch on my left eye for several years until I trained my right eye. No issues now (after about 14 years old) both eyes fully opened shooting right handed.
Try the Tape
 
I shot all my elephants with rifles that had an scope, one caliber 460 WBY-Magnum, the other caliber 500 Schüler. I shot one of the elephants, a crop raider, at night. That would have been impossible without a scope.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,649
Members
169,786
Latest member
usagolden
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top