AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
BASC, British Deer Society
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
I’m looking for suggestions for suitable 30mm bases and rings for a friends Mauser 98 large ring actioned .375 to update the antique 1in Weaver scope to a 30mm Swarovski Z6i 1-6. I’m not sure if the Leupold QD bases and rings will work as they are listed for an FN Mauser 98
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated for both QD and fixed mounts.

What type of Mauser is it? Sporter military action? Commercial FN type action? Single or double square bridge?

Different action variants will get different recommendations…

Following with interest. I was just looking at the Leupold "Mount Finder" for bases for my Interarms Whitworth Express Rifle in 375 H&H. It suggests the QR Mauser FN (2-pc) Sku 50055. I just used a set of these on my FN Browning Safari 300 H&H.

Following with interest. I was just looking at the Leupold "Mount Finder" for bases for my Interarms Whitworth Express Rifle in 375 H&H. It suggests the QR Mauser FN (2-pc) Sku 50055. I just used a set of these on my FN Browning Safari 300 H&H.
They will work. I have those bases on my whitworth 458 and Remington 798 Mauser 375 as well.

As far as the first poster as asked, is it commercial Mauser action or sporterized? If it’s commercial there’s a ton of mounts out there. Built on a sporterized action there may be some variance due to hole location etc.

I would personally go with Talley

Yes, it does make a difference if it's a sporterized military 98 action. Those have the stripper clip port and typically have hole placement for 3 screw 1-piece base. Some FN commercial also have 3 screw 1-piece base. I originally ordered one for my Czech vz.24 98 Mauser and had to carve out relief for my rifle's stripper clip. It worked okay with Warne QD rings and an old 1" Weaver 3x. Recently I upgraded to 30mm scope and changed to a now discontinued lower Weaver 1-piece base. With that base and "low" Warne rings this scope acquires instantly.
20240811_062626.jpg

Warne also makes a semi-pic rail 1-piece base for 3-hole Mauser receivers. Might want to look at those. Their QD rings really do retain zero. Both my plains game 30-06 03A3 and 404 Jeffery 98 Mauser wear those rings. Two weeks ago I took both rifles to the range to zero iron sights after changing beads and the 404's ramp. When I finished I stepped over to the 100 meter range to check the reattached scopes. Top hole is 30-06 and the one next to it is 404. It's an old target I patched for a quick check.
Resized_20240824_160004.jpeg

Last edited:
Since you obviously have a decent optics budget, I’d also consider EAW pivots

I’m looking for suggestions for suitable 30mm bases and rings for a friends Mauser 98 large ring actioned .375 to update the antique 1in Weaver scope to a 30mm Swarovski Z6i 1-6. I’m not sure if the Leupold QD bases and rings will work as they are listed for an FN Mauser 98
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated for both QD and fixed mounts.
IMG_3423.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg
IMG_3421.jpeg

EAW or Recknagel for Mauser.
Leupold, Talley or Warne for Winchester.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindabew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]