Scope and red dot mount questions

rcarpenter

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
North American Falconers Association
So, I'm having a 404 Jeffery built on a Model 70 and I'm working on deciding on optics. I would like to have a scope in QD mounts as well as something like an rmr on a QD that could mount on the same base as the scope.

I've always heard Talley for QD scope mounts, but they don't seem to have a red dot mount that will mount to their scope base. Does anybody know of a company that makes mounts to do what I'm thinking of that will reliably return to zero?

Thanks!

Try American Hunting Rifles. americanhuntingrifles.com They had what I needed for putting a DeltaPoint on a CZ550. Probably best to call though, the website doesn't actually show a fraction of what they have. You will need to know what RMR you plan to use; there are several different footprints.

Thanks Woodcarver. I'll reach out to AHR. Unfortunately, the Model 70 doesn't have the grooves in the receiver like the CZ550, so I'm not sure if his style of mount will work.

If you're having some type of standard bases put on your Win70, like a Weaver, there are definitely options. I have not found an RMR base that will work with the Leupold QD bases. What bases are you having put on?

The initial plan was Talley but it looks like they aren't going to get done, so I'm really open to anything as long as the QD will reliably return to zero and they'll hold up to the 404.

Might look at Midway. They have both of these in stock. You'd have to go searching to see if anyone makes an RMR base to fit. Talley rings will only fit Talley bases, which indicates a unique dovetail size. Other option would be to have one made; that might be where AHR could help, or a good local machine shop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 10.02.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 10.02.40 AM.png
    712.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 10.02.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 10.02.56 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
The other option might be to look at the Alaskan Arms or Warne QD rings. Both seem to be more than capable of holding up to heavy recoil. Not familiar with either myself, but based on reading here and elsewhere, they are the other 2 brands I've seen recommended the most.

I appreciate all the help! With some time on google I haven't found anybody advertising a rmr mount for talley bases. Maybe somebody on the forum knows of one. AHR or Alaskan Arms may be able to manufacture a custom one. Warne makes rmr mounts, but I can't tell from their site if they mount to their scope bases or not.

Both warne and talley make picatinny bases and rings and just about any rmr mount would mount to that. I don't know how the picatinny measures up strength and accuracy/repeatability wise. I'll have to reach out and ask them.

I ordered a base for a Leica Red Dot from an overseas vendor, I think it is a Rusan mount,it clamps into any Weaver style base which are no problem to find for a model 70, Optics Trade, works awesome, I just never use it. You use Warne QD rings, not the sexiest but work well

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.39.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.39.35 AM.png
    623 KB · Views: 44
Image1662053823.723350.jpg
IMG_6598.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6596.JPG

Pretty darn handy little setup

Double rifle with a Zeiss 3-9x36 and Aimpoint on QD mount.
20220901_204954.jpg
20220901_204922.jpg

HWL

So, I'm having a 404 Jeffery built on a Model 70 and I'm working on deciding on optics. I would like to have a scope in QD mounts as well as something like an rmr on a QD that could mount on the same base as the scope.

I've always heard Talley for QD scope mounts, but they don't seem to have a red dot mount that will mount to their scope base. Does anybody know of a company that makes mounts to do what I'm thinking of that will reliably return to zero?

Thanks!
Send to JJ Pereau and he can make one. He has made two for me

Neckdeep - Thanks! I'll check that one out! Weaver bases are definitely not a problem to find. I also didn't know Leica made a red dot. I'll have to check that out as well.

HWL - That's exactly the type of setup I'm thinking about for my rifle. It looks like it works well on your double.

Rare Breed - Thanks for the recommendation! I'll reach out to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deaner20

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt