Scam Attempt

Stompbox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I'm not sure where to post this information, so I thought I would put it here. Last night I sent a private message to a member on here saying I would purchase an item he had for sale and he later replied with his information so that I could send payment. He is well established and I was not worried about him. But, this morning I received a text message from a phone number with the same area code as the seller and an e-mail from an e-mail address that used some of the sellers initials and they were trying to get me to send a PayPal friends and family payment to them. When I asked them to confirm the phone number that the seller had supplied in his private message, they tried to make excuses and said they were using the wife's number and wanted me to send a payment as quick as possible so they could get this item shipped.

Later in the morning when I had a break at work I called the seller and he confirmed that neither of those text messages or emails were from him.

Now, neither one of us included any personal information in his for sale thread, all of the critical information was only in our private message. Maybe nowadays it's not too hard to do something like that but if I wouldn't have been so suspicious I probably would have sent the payment. It was very close to seeming like it was legitimate.

Be aware and stay alert.

Ken

That seems really fishy .... glad you caught it. Hope the sale on your SPS went smooth

That’s concerning they had all your information and enough of his information to make that quality of scam attempt. I wish there was a way to delete PMs like emails so no information could ever get stolen in event someone hacking an account.

Also pay strict attention to payment method. Not all have the same protections. PayPal is a bank owned by Ebay, bank-issued Visa cards are just as good, atm/debit cards are ok, but not as good, and so on down the line...Meeting in-person is best if within reasonable travel distance (on an expensive piece!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesHow

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]