Savage 99

Reaction score
Media
I recently gunbrokered a beat up Savage 99 takedown in 250-3000 (1927 vintage)

This is the first sister to my lovely #1 in 25-06 and will eventually be paired to a 257 Roberts on a Mauser 98 or Win 70 blued / walnut stock, and also a Weatherby in 257 Weatherby Mag for a 25 caliber project of mine. When all is said and done I plan to have an iconic rifle for one of each of these American quarter bores, and to take a North American sheep with each of them to complete a Grand Slam

Curious if anyone has Savage 99 love to share…accuracy tips, general photos, all is welcomed as it’s my first lever besides an original Win 1895. In my youth I went hunting in Virginia and the taste there was for Win 88s and Marlin 444s and I may have residual lever gun bug.

25-06 above a 375 H&H
8F6E124C-C1A1-4A82-BE77-93C6E910E97E.jpeg

This is my 1950’s .300 Savage. I installed the no drill scope mount as this is not drilled and tapped for a scope.
It’s not my primary deer gun but it works fine.
This is my firearms deer from last year. It took one doe this year as well. Hand loaded ammunition.

IMG_3246.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My EG (1947) in .300 Savage was my primary this past June in Africa. I used it on kudu, gemsbok, impala, and warthog. I was shooting handloads with 180 grain Accubonds.

I have a second in .308 that I have used on Sitka blacktail. And kudos to you: a .250 is still on my bucket list.

355868580_10231248812983082_7648938467890613698_n.jpg

I understand Savage made half a dozen 30-06 prototypes in Model 99. Wonder why they gave up on the cartridge. Too bad.

I have a few 99’s, .303 Savage, .250-3000, .300 Savage , have shot whitetails and muleys w all of them - classic guns and cartridges - there is a Savage forum on another site that has everything you will ever want to see/read about 99’s

I have my grandfathers 300 savage that has killed a couple deer, Texas sheep, and a pig with me. Planned to take to Africa but don’t reload and the last few boxes of core lokt I bought shot all over the place. I need to get it to someone to work up a load and see what’s up. Damn beautiful gun.

Well, they have a great rotary magazine feed. Not sure if that prohibits rechambering to a different cartridge like it does on the Mannlicher Schoenauer.

I recently gunbrokered a beat up Savage 99 takedown in 250-3000 (1927 vintage)

This is the first sister to my lovely #1 in 25-06 and will eventually be paired to a 257 Roberts on a Mauser 98 or Win 70 blued / walnut stock, and also a Weatherby in 257 Weatherby Mag for a 25 caliber project of mine. When all is said and done I plan to have an iconic rifle for one of each of these American quarter bores, and to take a North American sheep with each of them to complete a Grand Slam

Curious if anyone has Savage 99 love to share…accuracy tips, general photos, all is welcomed as it’s my first lever besides an original Win 1895. In my youth I went hunting in Virginia and the taste there was for Win 88s and Marlin 444s and I may have residual lever gun bug.
I suggest that you check the twist rate before getting carried away with load creation. The original twist rate was nominally 1-14" but John Barsness discovered that his rifle had a barrel twist closer to 1-15". He advised that 87gr flat-base bullets worked well in that barrel. The late rifles reportedly had a twist rate of 1-10".
Have fun.

You will have a lot of fun with your 250...........I have 3 in Model 99's and one in a bolt. @ZG47 has given good advice. Your inter-war rifle should have a 1:14 twist. I would not bother measuring that. But measuring the head space is a great idea. If you rifle is a solid frame gun it can still be badly worn, although the take downs were the worst for this problem. The short Speer 100 grain Pro-Hunter was the best bullet for me.......backed with 34 grains of 4320 it has killed some big heavy mulies and half a dozen pronghorn. If your rifle shoots this bullet well, then it is a true 14 incher. If not, you will have to experiment.....some of mine will not stabilize even 85 grain bullets from other manufacturers with long ogive or monometal construction. @Tundra Tiger has completed a dream of mine: to take two 99's to Africa.....one for Springbok and the like, and the other for oryx. Best of luck with fulfilling your dreams with this gun................FWB

@Gimpy............most of the High Powers I have seen are takedowns. I also have 3 of those, and would love to take one to Africa for a Springbok and smaller hunt. A member here sold me some bullets for this gun..... they are hard to find for sure. 71 grainers. A 32-40 would be a fine addition (shot my first deer with one in a Mod 94). A 25-35 barrel would be another great addition. Good luck with the project... keep us posted..............FWB

Mine will work on nearly anything that is based on a 38-55 case and I have a spare magazine spindle as well, I’ve got a 25-35 on a martini cadet action so probably won’t do that but may do a 30-30 for the hell of it. I’ve got two boxes of jacketed 22HP projectiles (one box of Speer and one of S&B )and a Lyman mould for hard cast
Gumpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njohh

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa