Sand Type for Range Backstop

Well range back stop construction project is on for this weekend, I have a couple of buddies roped in. First step is the rail road ties, I picked up 48 ties at a local Menards at $19.99 each - 11% rebate. 48 was a good number as they were banded in stacks of 16 units, so 3 stacks and a bunch of 1/2" diameter rebar to pin them together, to ensure they don't slip or move over time.

Not sure of the weight but the internet thinks somewhere around 180-200lbs per tie, that's potentially 9600 lbs of load on a 14K gross rated trailer behind a 3500 diesel, I'm sure it won't be giving me the best MPG on this trip!

Will post a few more photos of construction.

RailTies.jpg
 
Topsoil

The first photo is from a few years ago. My berm has grown since then with more sandbags on top and with additional topsoil wings and sandbags. It also is covered with so much vegetation that I have to chop down around the target for safety. The roots of the weeds reinforce the soil.

The second photo is of my 100 yard setup using a standing bench and Labradar.
When shooting I keep the muzzle pointed at the berm.
When practicing rapid fire I am at 25 yards so that to shoot over the berm would require a steep angle for the rifle.

View attachment 470151View attachment 470152
Nice when are we invited to a big bore shoot off.ill bring the steaks and beer.
 
Kinda hard to see this is the Williston fla shooters club range I belong to.it was built to sight in the 25s for the dolittle raid and others(although I thought they were unarmed)it is made out of huge timbers lining it with a of concrete roof covered by looks like 6 ft of sand
U shoot into sand local sugar sand but the ceiling keeps it dry not sure we have ever added to it but it's easy lead retrieval
35519803_2046747552208569_3448773865839263744_n.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,456
Messages
1,576,702
Members
170,620
Latest member
AshleyRosa
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top