Same guide or different guide?

I suppose, if I had everything thing that I wanted, I would go back to places that I’ve been before. Kalahari Rangers, where I went in RSA was very nice, remote, lots of variety of animals. However the PH was not very outgoing. I suspect that English was his second language, as he did not say much more than “it is good.”
Peter at Takeri was very outgoing. I would certainly hunt with him again.

But looking forward to DSC to start planning 2025/26 trip to Tanzania. Some place that I have not been before.

I just presumed he was licensed. He's been in the business too long to risk doing anything illegal. He puts the hunts on their website/Facebook so I'm sure it's on the up and up. I'm not interested in crocks and hippos so never been a part of that operation.
The number of licensed PH’s in Zim is very low. There are more outfitters in the Eastern Cape of South Africa than there are licensed PH’s in the entire country of Zim. Because of the Residency requirements, VERY few Zim PH’s live outside of Zim.

Ask your RSA Outfitter what his Zim PH Number is, I’d wager money he just acts as an agent and books hunts. I’ve had multiple RSA PH’s tell me they can set something up in Zim but none have been licensed.

Not so long ago we allowed non Zim PH accompany his client. The PH charged his client triple our advertised price, this was unknown to us. The “PH” told him that it legal to do several illegal things. This caused problem, but the hunter was not very happy. The volcano erupted when the hunter found out what our posted prices were.

We do all inclusive elephant hunts, with trophy fee refunded. What would have happened if he had not taken his ele?
He would have expected a $27,000.00 refund.

Lon

I say this with a bit of jest so please take it as such.

What do you think would happen if we took our camp chef to restaurants to help their cook fix our dinner? Now pretend it was a Chinese restaurant. Nothing worse than a mad China-man with a meat cleaver.

Lon

When you hunt Africa, do most of you prefer to find a new area or country, new terrain and new guide/outfitter, or stay with the one you've had good experiences with?

I had a great time on my first trip, but I'd love trying something new. New species, new country, different terrain, and new outfitter.

I prefer to hunt in the same area and, if possible, with the same crew.

I did this for 15 years in the east of Burkina Faso and more or less with the same local guide and the same trackers. PH's like in the southeast and east of Africa does not exist in this countries. You know the area, the people know you, overall you feel like a hunter in Africa and not as a tourist being guided through the area. I had previously done classic hunts in East and Southern Africa and since Burkina Faso is lost, I am forced to do it again, but it's not the same.

Tried and true is good but usually one ph can’t hunt everywhere…..but they all know many of each other. I have one guy in particular I trust completely and if I want to go somewhere he can’t, I ask him to ask around for who is the best where I want to go., at times I’ve asked him about specific outfits.—-and I trust his recommendations. I don’t think those guys expect that you’ll never hunt with anyone else. I believe they do care about your overall experience though regardless of where you are going. Seems almost like an honor code between the truly elite ph’s.

The reason I ask is I'm looking for Buff, Lechwe, LDE, Gemsbok and possibly Elephant. My guide was from RSA, but Botswana, the Caprivi strip, the Kafue flats and Cameroon are all appealing. Would it even be possible to find an outfitter that could do all these areas just to stay with someone you know and trust?
Choose a good outfitter/ph from each region. No point trying to hunt with one guy in all areas.

And the cost of your hunt will undoubtedly be higher to accommodate the extra person, travel, fees etc.

Never understood one guy or one outfit for a continent. Does anyone do that in North America or Europe? I have indeed hunted twice with the same outfitter, but it was because I was returning to the same area for indigenous game that wasn't taken the first time. In Spain, I hunt with the same outfitter, but in Austria, I use another. In South Africa, Mozambique and Zambia the same strategy strikes me as logical. And yes, I consider several outfitters to be friends, but I also really enjoy making new ones as well.

The accompanying PH is a fairly new model pioneered in its current form by Ivan Carter. He becomes a contracted hunting companion and agent for the client, setting up the hunt with a local outfitter in different areas of Africa. That has always seemed a logical, if rather expensive, compromise for those who are uncomfortable with the thought of either a new environment or PH. Several outfitters that I know now offer that sort of model. And finally, there are large operations with partnerships or wholly owned concessions in different areas of Africa. They too offer options other than the same game ranch or set of ranches over and over again.

But one way or another, try to get out and explore Africa.

Last edited:
Never understood one guy or one outfit for a continent. Does anyone do that in North America or Europe? I have indeed hunted twice with the same outfitter, but it was because I was returning to the same area for indigenous game that wasn't taken the first time. In Spain, I hunt with the same outfitter, but in Austria, I use another. In South Africa, Mozambique and Zambia the same strategy strikes me as logical. And yes, I consider several outfitters to be friends, but I also really enjoy making new ones as well.

The accompanying PH is a fairly new model pioneered in its current form by Ivan Carter. He becomes a contracted hunting companion and agent for the client, setting up the hunt with a local outfitter in different areas of Africa. That has always seemed a logical, if rather expensive, compromise for those who are uncomfortable with the thought of either a new environment or PH. Several outfitters that I know now offer that sort of model. And finally, there are large operations with partnerships or wholly owned concessions in different areas of Africa. They too offer options other than the same game ranch or set of ranches over and over again.

But one way or another, try to get out and explore Africa.

I have done this very thing. I had my personal PH accompanying me on 5-6 safaris across Africa for dangerous game and it was perfect for me at that time.
My first hunt without him was for Bongo and Forrest Buffalo in Cameroon. Since then I have hunted Tanzania and RSA without him but will probably go to Uganda with him in 2025.
Variety is the spice of life and their are no wrong answers on this. Do what makes you comfortable and enjoy everything that Africa has to offer.

HH

Good question.
I have completed 5 trips and number 6 booked for 2024. Same outfitter and PH. We have become good friends and he knows all my health issues and has plans in place if needed. We have hunted his main farm in NorthWest, traveled to Limpopo and Kalahari region. I discus what I want to hunt and he arranges where ever we need to go. 2024 will see us up in the Limpopo hunting Hippo if all goes as planned.
Mark that is the best reason for going with the same Outfit I have ever seen. In this example of health issues and the PH and Outfitter being prepared and understanding just makes a ton of sense. Also makes sense to stay in RSA where the infrastructure is in place to deal with issues that may arise.

You are to be commended for getting out and living life in spite of health challenges. You are an inspiration. Most would stay at home in their recliner.

Last edited:
The reason I ask is I'm looking for Buff, Lechwe, LDE, Gemsbok and possibly Elephant. My guide was from RSA, but Botswana, the Caprivi strip, the Kafue flats and Cameroon are all appealing. Would it even be possible to find an outfitter that could do all these areas just to stay with someone you know and trust?
I would definitely branch out (I most certainly have!) to other countries and other Outfitters. You just cannot get the experiences that you are talking about if you stay in RSA. But you obviously know this. So the rest of the question is do you somehow feel that you owe your RSA guy such that you are willing to pay his travel to another country and have him tag along as an extra member of your entourage? Because that is what it would become. Some Outfitters will offer a "deal" where they tag along and pretend to be your PH. But almost certainly there will be a local PH who is the official with the license and local experience. It is very unlikely your guy from RSA is licensed in all those countries so he cannot be your PH. Likewise he cannot possibly be experienced and know all those areas. So even if he was licensed, he wouldn't be a good guide in unknown territory.

Signing a hunt contract is not like signing a marriage certificate;)

I like traveling, seeing new places, seeing new things, eating local foods...(or not). I like adventure. I also like visiting the people I've became friends with and seeing more of the same places I've been.

I don't know about Mexico, but traveling to Canada to fish or hunt I can bring the meat back to the US, not so with traveling to other countries. In other countries it's about going after specific species to hunt and/or fish, or just the adventure of being somewhere I've never been before.

Shout out to all the members and especially this forum's creator. This forum is compromised of a vast diversity with a common interest in the conservation, protection, and continued abilities to hunt and fish the globe members. We suggest and promote the good companies and their products, and the good outfitters and their staff. We also chastise those lesser companies and products, and those lesser outfitters of character and/or staff. Thereby allowing all of us to consider adventuring out beyond our norm.

I use the same outfitter in the East Cape when in RSA and have had 2 different PHs. Since I'm in Africa included in my trip plans is a trip to visit and hunt with them.

The East Cape is only a small representation of Africa much like one US state, one Canadian province, or one European country is only a small representation of the US, Canada, or of Europe.

My priority is to hunt and/or fish. My second priority is to see as much of the state/province/country country I'm traveling to, and if possible perhaps during a long layover take in some sights of that area.

Another factor is the time of year. By varying the time of year to travel to the same place(s) not only is/are the landscape(s) different there's also the chance to see local festival(s), tribal ritual(s), animal migration(s), etc.

If one likes and enjoys using only one outfitter and a certain guide/PH then relish your hunts. If one seeks new adventures then do your due diligence and share your pros and cons so other members on this forum may also consider a new adventure.

When you hunt Africa, do most of you prefer to find a new area or country, new terrain and new guide/outfitter, or stay with the one you've had good experiences with?

I had a great time on my first trip, but I'd love trying something new. New species, new country, different terrain, and new outfitter.
I love seeing new areas and meeting new people. Although I understand familiarity, I think it is a shame that so many have one PH take them all over Africa.
(Don't take this the wrong way) How do you know you had a good first hunt? What do you have to compare to?
Go experience a new area and new people!

Personally I subscribe to mostly hunting new areas and with different PH’s. 9 trips to Africa. 11 different PH’s I think…. Most I’d hunt with again. Some were young and needed seasoning. I’ve hunted RSA, Namibia, Zambia, Congo and Tanzania. Currently looking at Botswana and perhaps a retune to the Congo. First timers to Africa usually think they had the best hunt ever. To that point in their lives they have. After several hunts elsewhere they may decide that their first one was just adequate…….
Bruce

Skydiver, please feel free to visit my website
Www.spearsafaris.com
We do all of those areas
Hope to hear from you
Cheers Ernest
I can confirm Ernest at Spear is very professional and does a great job. He personally has hunted all those areas and will be your PH to make sure everything works out as planned.

It’s a great way to experience many new places and species and many different people, but have some consistency and confidence things will work out right.

Ernest is a great guy!

Good day Skydiver

Game Trackers Africa (GTA) is a long standing Outfitting operation facilitating predominantly free-ranging safaris in Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, Cameroon. Our South African Operation (Game Trackers Africa Rockwood Conservation) is based in the Northern Cape Province, hosting clients on a 33000 plus acre property with more than 22+ species (including large herds of Rhino and Buffalo) .

If I can suggest, visit our website for more information, https://www.gametrackersafrica.com

Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information or just general questions/ information. Continue to fire your dreams - best of luck and have a good day.

Hunting reports on AfricaHunting.com for Game Trackers Africa:
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-three-generations-hunt-the-selous.45182/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...me-trackers-africa-in-the-eastern-cape.39710/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-great-adventure-with-game-trackers-africa.40875/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...rk-continent-with-game-trackers-africa.40876/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfjdjhfsx

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]