Sako AV Fiberclass 375 H&H

Dav

Reaction score
I’m looking to acquire a 375 rifle and was told by a few different folks to stick with a Sako. Now I don’t have much experience with any of the major rifle manufacturers when it comes to those safari rifles and I see a lot of different guns with lots of different price tags. Mostly used, as new ones are rare and also not cheap. Not sure why a Sako is better than a Winchester 70 or a Browning Medalion or a Ruger M77, etc as they are alll selling in the same price range of $1300 to $3500 depending on condition and scope/accesories.

Been looking for a few weeks and came across this one. Sako AV with fiberclass stock, Bushnell Elite 6500, muzzle brake, sling and bunch of brass and bullets. Gun has been hunted with, is probably 30 years old and no clue how many rounds shot, but bore looks good to naked eye and barrel is free floated, hopefully the action is bedded, no crack on the stock that I know so far. Trigger set at 3lbs. Pros are threaded muzzle for suppressor, synthetic stock not worried about fancy wood, lots of brass and bullets to get going, decent older scope to get started as well. Cons are no clue of history or if the bore has been shot out, stock starting to crack, etc.

On paper it looks good except I have no idea if I should stay away from an old hunting gun of which I don’t know the history (it’s in consignment). I know a stock can be repaired, action re-barreled and re-bedded, etc but I don’t want this gun to be a money pit.

A second opinion doesn’t hurt before spending money ! Serial number is the 6 digits in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_8485.jpeg
    IMG_8485.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 12
Fiberclass means the Kevlar stock they used then on a series of rifles . The stocks were made by McMillan and quite sturdy rifles

Sako quality before was different and better in my mind than today . Largest as I know was .375 , I haven’t checked into if there factory chambering larger than that . But it’s possibly .

A good custom version it was also to rebarrel a Sako and get a Mcstock

Snr I don’t know about , but others will chime in .

First mention I see about the Fiberclass stock being made with Kevlar. I would have thought it was just the regular polymer stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaBels

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia