Sako 85 Brown Bear 416 Rigby

Redleg I had to chuckle at your aptly "renamed" plywood stock. I have a Boyd's Laminated stock on one of my 35 Whelens. For sure it isn't the prettiest thing in the world, stated more clearly it could be considered downright ugly, but it is durable. We all know Toby 458 has an incurable fascination with firearms. The trouble is that he is "silver tongued" and or slick enough with words to justify his actions. With no hunting stories or reports to read, Toby antics give us something to reflect upon.
I'm here for the people's entertainment! Free of charge no less!
What powder do you use in your Rigby Art?

This is very disturbing. Our friend had the opportunity to right a buffalo wrong with one of the finest production rifles ever produced, perfectly emulating the classic British dangerous game rifle. Now, he would go forth into the world, seeking a reckoning (see Tombstone) with a Scandinavian ersatz thing with a plywood stock and a very non Mauser action. And all because he claims it saves him filthy lucre. The story of our times.

:Facepalm:

With a plywood stocked Sako. Sigh.
Now you've forced me to resort to perusing my family Dictionary for the meaning of such words as "Ersatz" and "Lucre". Well played sir.....

I didn't chronograph it. QuickLoad says 2433 FPS for a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame, assuming a 24 " barrel.

Thanks! I hope handloading will ease the pain a bit, but it's not cheap no matter how you cut it!

Reloading will make a big, big difference in the cost. However, in the end, you might not save much, but you sure get to shoot more!

I didn't chronograph it. QuickLoad says 2433 FPS for a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame, assuming a 24 " barrel.
I plan to keep my velocities around 2250 fps. Essentially a duplicate of the 404. Very low pressure and easier on the shoulder and the bullet. Will probably use Swift A Frame.

I got 2323 fps., using a 400 gr AFrame, 95 gr H4831. Very low pressure, but a huge impact in the field. Very deadly mix.

Hi Toby,

Speaking of costly ammo, when you next make it to Zimbabwe, if your ammo does not make it a dealer here has it available, at $72.00 per round!

With some of the replys to date it is a shame we dont have a few more options other than a like under the posts. All very well to use the smiley face with a few quotes here but it loses its impact after the fact where a laugh, as opposed to a like, under the post would make it more timely and appropriate. The good natured banter is one of the highlights of the forum.

Toby since when did you get "religion?" What happened to the 458 in your personality and preferences? Here I thought that easy on the shoulder etc. was reserved for us more older, refined folks. THAT WAS THE BEAUTY OF A 404 JEFFERY, HIT WITH THE AUTHORITY OF A 416 RIGBY AND FELT LIKE A 375 H&H. You gave that all up remember???

Toby since when did you get "religion?" What happened to the 458 in your personality and preferences? Here I thought that easy on the shoulder etc. was reserved for us more older, refined folks. THAT WAS THE BEAUTY OF A 404 JEFFERY, HIT WITH THE AUTHORITY OF A 416 RIGBY AND FELT LIKE A 375 H&H. You gave that all up remember???
I still own a 458 Win Mag just to keep my namesake in tact. I turn 50 in a few months, so I'm getting a head start on the "milder" things in life. Haha!

Toby,
Your my rifle buying/selling/trading hero! I wish I enjoyed your discretionary rifle budget. But, the reality for me is buying rifles off GB with money orders and generic walnut stocks to keep the household financial “sentinel” (wife) confused and dazed about what I actually have! It works for me (so far)?
CEH

When asked, “is that a new gun?”
I used to reply with no babe, it is one I had at the gunsmith being fixed. That was when I was worried about keeping the peace, at the end the answer was, no, it is Jim bob’s so she wouldn’t add that into her list of assets to figure into the divorce. Even taught my young son to say we went to the gunsmith when she would ask! much easier coming home to a dog that doesn’t ask to many questions these days

More like LACK of wife, happy life! :A Banana:
Oh yeah, I forgot. I still hear, “You mean that guy Toby with the 214 guns!” I REALLY need to stop sharing and keep my mouth shut!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisorden

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages