Safari frequency?

Really they are all extremely simple compared to planning an African safari or trying to understand non-resident western draws. The biggest obstacle I’ve found is something of a communication barrier even though the English is good. Americans and Europeans plan hunts differently. I rent a gun each time to keep it
Really they are all extremely simple compared to planning an African safari or trying to understand non-resident western draws. The biggest obstacle I’ve found is something of a communication barrier even though the English is good. Americans and Europeans plan hunts differently. I rent a gun each time to keep it simple.
I would agree. Europe is very easy. I’ve hunted Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, and Macedonia thus far. All held excellent game, and very well managed. I also hire a rifle every time. My experience has been that the European hunters have excellent guns, with even better optics. Flights are easy from the US, and I often take my wife or a child along. I’m currently looking at hunts in Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria, Poland and Latvia. Latvia has some very good red deer hunting at very reasonable rates, and I can’t think of another reason to go to Latvia, so red deer it is. Europe is very overlooked by US hunters.

I went on my first African PG Safari last June. It was WONDERFUL all the way around! However, and the "elephant" in this room (forum) so to speak, is I have a wife that doesn't hunt. She has no problem with me going hunting, but with OUR limited funds for vacations and TIME OFF from work, tradeoffs are necessary and costs ARE a real part of that. I'm sure I'm not alone. My total ONE hunt costs for Africa were about $11K PLUS $3400 in taxidermy and am waiting for the other shoe to drop for the shipping costs of the trophies. To put things in financial perspective for non hunting vacations, WE went to Mexico this past March ALL inclusive (hotel, food, booze, AIRFARE) for 7 full days at about $100 more TOTAL than it cost me for JUST MY roundtrip AIRFARE in baggage class to RSA for my hunt! A cruise to almost anywhere NOW are heavily discounted and less than half the cost of my African hunt (just the contract hunt price) for BOTH of us. My point being, is that I would love to hunt Africa every or every other year, but I have to compromise both financially and maritally(?). Sucks to be me! LOL I'll probably be ready to go back to Africa in 2025, maybe for a buffalo this time.

So many of you have mentioned their children. All I now need is for them to come too. It will come.

I’m “only” 56 but for all the young guys out there wanting to make money to afford African safaris when you’re older, do as Mark Twain said, “Buy land. They’re not making it anymore.” I’ve bought and sold land over the years and bought more in the 2008/2009 recession and it’s been a solid investment. Land and real estate rarely go down in value if you buy in decent areas.

As for the stock markets, if you’re not an expert, be careful to buy well-known, solid company stocks that most people know. Some of my good ones have been Apple, Microsoft and Berkshire Hathaway. One of my best lesser-known stocks has been Arista Networks (cloud networks). Take a look at its gains since 2020! Buy good companies in the big downturns, like during the March 2020 COVID crash. Some people think we are headed towards another big drop. I’m not so sure but be ready! Your results may vary but real estate and solid stocks have worked so far for me and might for you, especially if you have a good regular job to count on for your basic needs/expenses.

Once you’re up and running strong, don’t touch the principal but take the gains and go hunting.

Last edited:
WE went to Mexico this past March ALL inclusive (hotel, food, booze, AIRFARE) for 7 full days at about $100 more TOTAL than it cost me for JUST MY roundtrip AIRFARE in baggage class to RSA for my hunt! A cruise to almost anywhere NOW are heavily discounted and less than half the cost of my African hunt (just the contract hunt price) for BOTH of us. My point being, is that I would love to hunt Africa every or every other year, but I have to compromise both financially and maritally(?). Sucks to be me! LOL I'll probably be ready to go back to Africa in 2025, maybe for a buffalo this time.
I dont cry for other cheaper non hunting trips.

I have seen 63 countries of the world - as a deep seas ship captain, and all continents, and far ends of the World.
And the only thing that puts me on international flight is either my job, or hunting in Africa. I dont find pleasure in travelling, I find pleasure (or necessity for job) in being on the destination.

I think Africa is still most economical international hunting. And most economical trophy commercial hunting. One red stag at my place, medal size could cost upwards from 5000 EUR. This is equal to budget trophy PG hunt 5 heads in RSA or NAM. Experience is incomparable

BTW my non hunting wife wants to go to safari with me next time, as observer.

I dont cry for other cheaper non hunting trips.

I have seen 63 countries of the world - as a deep seas ship captain, and all continents, and far ends of the World.
And the only thing that puts me on international flight is either my job, or hunting in Africa. I dont find pleasure in travelling, I find pleasure (or necessity for job) in being on the destination.

I think Africa is still most economical international hunting. And most economical trophy commercial hunting. One red stag at my place, medal size could cost upwards from 5000 EUR. This is equal to budget trophy PG hunt 5 heads in RSA or NAM. Experience is incomparable

BTW my non hunting wife wants to go to safari with me next time, as observer.
"I don't cry for other cheaper non hunting trips". I don't either but my wife does! LOL I certainly wholeheartedly agree with you about not finding pleasure in travelling to ANY destination, especially when flying 30+ hours in baggage class to Africa! I did and will do it again with no (maybe some) complaints in a couple of years. It IS a necessity however to get to the paradise of African hunting! Being the frugal (cheap ass) individual that I am, there is NO comparison to the overall value (cost) of an African hunting experience to anything here in North America. Hunting an all inclusive venue for a variety of PG in Africa, is exponentially less expensive than hunting ONE animal here on private property with a guide and all accommodations. My elk hunting buddy and his son EACH paid $7500us to hunt A moose, a black bear (his son) and caribou (my hunting buddy) in Newfoundland a few years ago and are going again in 2024 for his son's 40th birthday. This time, it's the same money just for a moose. Do you think I could talk them into going to Africa? Hell no. Hunting ANY elk (wapiti) here in Colorado with a guide and horses on private land plus accommodations would be in the $8-10K range. So, a 10 day African 10-12 animal PG hunt for $6-8K with all accommodations IS a WORLDWIDE BARGAIN!

Last edited:
"I don't cry for other cheaper non hunting trips". I don't either but my wife does! LOL I certainly wholeheartedly agree with you about not finding pleasure in travelling to ANY destination, especially when flying 30+ hours in baggage class to Africa! I did and will do it again with no (maybe some) complaints in a couple of years. It IS a necessity however to get to the paradise of African hunting! Being the frugal (cheap ass) individual that I am, there is NO comparison to the overall value (cost) of an African hunting experience to anything here in North America. Hunting an all inclusive venue for a variety of PG in Africa, is exponentially less expensive than hunting ONE animal here on private property with a guide and all accommodations. My elk hunting buddy and his son EACH paid $7500us to hunt A moose, a black bear (his son) and caribou (my hunting buddy) in Newfoundland a few years ago and are going again in 2024 for his son's 40th birthday. This time, it's the same money just for a moose. Do you think I could talk them into going to Africa? Hell no. Hunting ANY elk (wapiti) here in Colorado with a guide and horses on private land plus accommodations would be in the $8-10K range. So, a 10 day African 10-12 animal PG hunt for $6-8K with all accommodations IS a WORLDWIDE BARGAIN!
Yup.

Kevin I am taking my son in 2024 on his very first safari!
My son is 28 and I told him I am taking him to Africa, He almost cried.

I have taken him on 3 non resident elk hunts (cow) and he had a great time. Africa with him is going to be better than leaving him money in my will.

Look me up if your friends don't want to go with you. I will. I have the same troubles with my friends,

I have booked my first trip for PG during late August this year. Since I am self employed and a widower I am on my own. i hope to do more hunts in Africa. This is why I keep working. Buy hardware and hunt. I too look at the price of hunts in the US and say"Wow" , go to Africa and make it worth the time and money. Argentina, for Water Buffalo, is also at the top of my list. Cheers everyone!

I have booked my first trip for PG during late August this year. Since I am self employed and a widower I am on my own. i hope to do more hunts in Africa. This is why I keep working. Buy hardware and hunt. I too look at the price of hunts in the US and say"Wow" , go to Africa and make it worth the time and money. Argentina, for Water Buffalo, is also at the top of my list. Cheers everyone!
Keep us posted. You have friends here and potential hunting partners.

Just go SKI:

Wife has had sights set on touring Austrailia for years. Many airline miles saved up over decades - mostly thru credit card milage awards. Lookie-looing is not my thing, no biggie - she scheduled to go with friends plus son #1. Did similar pre-pandemic.

I did a Plains Game hunt in South Africa in 2021 while she waited (and waited) for Oz to open up. Oz finally opened, they just got back - and had a great time. (I tagged along just for the Hawaii leg.)

I'm headed back to Africa in 6 weeks. :)

Oh - she picked up the "SKI" thing while Down Under. Stands for
"Spend Kids Inheritance". :LOL:

Lord willing, we will both do more of the same in 2024.

You have been a wonderful influence on me my friend! I respect you greatly!
As I sit here by the mopane fire in Charara having morning coffee I am planning the next safari. It will include my kids for sure.
1A1587E0-F192-474B-9794-55837177C791.jpeg

My hunt with Legadema in Mozambique in 2021 was great and the price was right.

My 2007 hunt with Adansonia in RSA was great also and the price of taxidermy and shipping was very reasonable.

Taxidermy and shipping have gone up astronomically!

All taxidermy was done in RSA in 2007 for $1200 (7 shoulder mounts & a zebra rug). Shipping cost was $600.

Dipping, packing, and shipping for 2 capes and skulls was nearly $5,000 in 2021.

Taxidermy will cost $3,300 locally, but was cheaper than what I was quoted in RSA.

I go when I get a "golden" opportunity. I would go ASAP for a great deal on an elephant, or a PG hunt that included Sable and Waterbuck.

I’ve been going since 2012 but missed a few years. I got bit by the African safari bug pretty hard.
2012 - PG in Zimbabwe SVC
2013 - DG & PG in Mozambique Niassa Reserve
2014 - Two DG & PG safaris in Mozambique
2015 - Nothing
2016 - Bongo in the CAR
2017 - PG in Tanzania Massailand
2018 - Nothing but did go for Marco Polo in Tajikistan
2019 - Nothing
2020 - Nothing
2021 - DG in Botswana
2022 - PG in Zambia
2023 - DG & PG in Tanzania
Which ones are your favorite and why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineCre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim