poco

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
I’m thinking about adding some verity to my diet and maybe adding some Sadza to lunch
and Admit @ breakfast
any suggestions on recipes

Ugh—me, too! Love that stuff! The closest I could find stateside is a Mexican (?) cornmeal called Maseca . Almost tastes the same, but I’d rather be eating it out in a dried up river bed in Africa than in my own kitchen!

The secret to sudza is making sure it is cooked long enough to break down the grain so it is smoother as opposed to grainy on the palate. You can let it steam on a low very low heat with the lid on the pot to get the desired results.

Always add salt to the boiling water. The quantity of water you use will determine the consistency of the sudza. Generally sloppy sudza (pap) for breakfast and stiff sudza for lunch / dinner. Although stiff sudza is also good for breakfast.

A slight short cut if you want get stuck in a little quicker is to place the uncooked sudza in a bowl and mix with hot water. It will be a very grainy mixture. Leave it to rest for as long as possible (maybe you'll have a shower or walk the dog etc). Boil some water in a pot, less than you would if you were doing the long steaming method. Once the water is boiling, slowly add the mixture while stirring. It should stiffen to the right consistency depending on the water ratio. This is a learning process. If it is too sloppy you can add dry sudza to stiffen up. ( Bear in mind that added grain will be course).

NOTE: there is no possible way to get smooth sudza without time steaming. (Much like I hear is the the case for grits...?)

Keep stirring, hard and strong, it's good for an upper arm work out!

Reduce the heat and let it steam through. The longer you let it steam the less grainy it will be.

Breakfast is usually sudza with milk, sugar / syrup and a dollop of butter.

Lunch / dinner... there's whole world to choose from.

ps... krimmel pap (crumb sudza) is only good for leaving in the pot until it is dry and then scattering on the lawn for the birds. ;)

The secret to sudza is making sure it is cooked long enough to break down the grain so it is smoother as opposed to grainy on the palate. You can let it steam on a low very low heat with the lid on the pot to get the desired results.

Always add salt to the boiling water. The quantity of water you use will determine the consistency of the sudza. Generally sloppy sudza (pap) for breakfast and stiff sudza for lunch / dinner. Although stiff sudza is also good for breakfast.

A slight short cut if you want get stuck in a little quicker is to place the uncooked sudza in a bowl and mix with hot water. It will be a very grainy mixture. Leave it to rest for as long as possible (maybe you'll have a shower or walk the dog etc). Boil some water in a pot, less than you would if you were doing the long steaming method. Once the water is boiling, slowly add the mixture while stirring. It should stiffen to the right consistency depending on the water ratio. This is a learning process. If it is too sloppy you can add dry sudza to stiffen up. ( Bear in mind that added grain will be course).

NOTE: there is no possible way to get smooth sudza without time steaming. (Much like I hear is the the case for grits...?)

Keep stirring, hard and strong, it's good for an upper arm work out!

Reduce the heat and let it steam through. The longer you let it steam the less grainy it will be.

Breakfast is usually sudza with milk, sugar / syrup and a dollop of butter.

Lunch / dinner... there's whole world to choose from.

ps... krimmel pap (crumb sudza) is only good for leaving in the pot until it is dry and then scattering on the lawn for the birds. ;)
@Zambezi has nailed it! All I can add is when it comes to the accompaniments, keep it simple and resist mixing everything together. So heavily scorch your pieces of meat in the pot with vegetable oil. Do the pumpkin leaves and flowers separately to make the greens, again with oil and salt. When you eat your sadza with these relishes take a piece of each, add salt as you eat and of course some freshly chopped chilli. A sadza meal is best eaten with the hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuigiDalle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.