Rural council CEO up for dodgy US$900k safari hunting deals Zimbabwe

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://www.newzimbabwe.com/rural-council-ceo-up-for-dodgy-us900k-safari-hunting-deals/

NYAMINYAMI Rural District Council (NRDC), chief executive officer, Cletus Gwabva Matingwina, who was arrested on allegations of criminal abuse of duty, appeared in court last week over the dubious awarding of sport hunting concessions.

The cumulative value of potential financial prejudice is over US$ 900,000.

He was arraigned at Chinhoyi Court Complex on Friday facing two counts as defined in section 174 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act Chapter 9:23.

Chinhoyi Magistrate Shepherd Munjanja admitted the accused to US$400 bail and ordered him to reside at a given address, not to interfere with witnesses and to report once every fortnight at Siakobvu Police Station.

Matigwina will return to court on December 1 for routine remand.

The complainant in the matter is Benson Share, operations director at the Procurement Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (PRAZ).

Matingwina, accused of disqualifying winning bidders and replacing them with ones he favoured, is the CEO and accounting officer entrusted to ensure procurement processes are carried out in compliance with the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets (PPDPA) Act chapter 22:23.

On the first count, the State led by prosecutor Brighton Machekera, alleges in November 2022 council floated a tender and invited bids for sport hunting concessions in Omay North and South under tender number NRDC003/22 and NRDC004/22 in respect of the two swathes of land.

Bids for the two tenders were opened on December 1, 2022, in the presence of bidders and tender NRDC003/22 for Omay North Area 1 got four bids namely Hingeston Hallamore and Koch Safaris (HHK), Sunfish Enterprises (Pvt) Limited trading as Bulembi Safaris, Old Way Safaris (Pvt) Limited and Martin Pieters Safaris.

Court heard that on December 12, the evaluation committee recommended that tender number NRDC003/22 for Omay North Area 1 be awarded to Martin Pieters Safaris having to be the overall highest bidder and, in the event that it fails to take the offer, the contract be awarded to Bulembi Safaris.

However, Martin Pieters was disqualified on the basis that it submitted two bids against the requirement of part (l)(b) of the Standard Bidding Document (SBD), which states that bidders were only allowed to submit one bid.

Mutigwina is said to have sought advice from PRAZ on how to evaluate a tender process where there was the need to balance between the value of investment and community social responsibility.

Initial tendering was subsequently cancelled due to weakness in the SBD, and with PRAZ’s advice, it was recommended to craft a new SBD with clear evaluation criteria striking a balance between trophy fees and community benefits.

As a result, the sport hunting tendering was restarted for Omay North Area 1 and on April 16, 2023 council invited bidders and the same bids responded with their offers.

On April 19, 2023, the accused person appointed the evaluation committee which scrutinised the tender on April 23, 2023, carrying out administrative, technical and financial evaluation.

During the process, it was noted that Martin Pieters Safaris was the bidder, which offered a more feasible community social responsibility. However, out of three bidders, Bulembi had the highest bid based on financial and community benefits. It was then resolved the contract be awarded in preferential order of Bulembi Safaris, Dalton and York, Martin Pieters Safaris and HHK.

The award criteria was also premised on proof of the companies’ directors not having pending issues in court or criminal records.

On April 25, 2023, accused person went on to disqualify Bulembi Safaris on allegations that it was a subsidiary of Safrique Safaris, which had pending cases in the Supreme Court under case number 395/22 which was never attached.

He proceeded to provisionally award the contract to Martin Pieters Safaris contrary to the law, which does not provide for the provisional award of contracts.

Investigations established that there was no evidence to show Bulembi Safaris was a subsidiary of Safrique Safaris. Mutigwina’s unilateral decision to disqualify a recommended bidder in the absence of proof justifying his decision was meant to favour a losing bidder to the prejudice of a winning bidder.

On count two, the chief executive officer disqualified winning bidders for Omay South Area 2 under tender NRDC004/22 in which four bidders took part.

When the evaluation committee sat it recommended that the tender be given to Afropride Safaris on the basis of it being the highest bidder.

However, the accused person, without justifiable reason, issued letters of award that were in contrast with the evaluation committee’s recommendations wherein he cited that Afropride Safaris had failed to provide documentation that cleared it of any crime or pending court cases.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy! What a flipping mess.

Tenders in Zimbabwe are very complicated.
The “rightful winner” is not always the highest.

There are many legal factors, social responsibility, improvements. A past history of fulfilling your obligation. Some bidders bid a ridiculous amount for a concession, knowing that they will never full fill their legal obligation.

Try not to judge until all of the facts are disclosed. Now that I think about it all of the facts will probably never disclosed.

Lon

They usually are not disclosed. Some official being charged over the process is interesting though.

Brickburn,

Our local council CEO spend 90% of his time under arrest, with the trial awaiting, while he is out on $15.00 bail. This is Zimbabwe.

There we go, let’s hope justice and the truth prevails.

I hope so. Tough to run a business in that environment.

Whats even worse is when” someone” pulls up in a black Mercedes tells your staff to make them lunch & drinks. Then in a few weeks your hunting concession is going to be a photo only concession.

It happens.
Lon

Brickburn,

Our local council CEO spend 90% of his time under arrest, with the trial awaiting, while he is out on $15.00 bail. This is Zimbabwe.

Does he wear a hat that says, "Make Zimbabwe Great Again?"

Scott, Is it worse than permits in Colorado ? :>)))
Well, it certainly is interesting. We have three major permits and several smaller permits. Our BLM permit took one year to get. Our biggest Forest Service permit took three years to get. Our other Forest Service permit took twenty-six years to get! However, unlike Africa, we don’t lose them to other outfitters and they automatically renew every ten years if you keep your nose clean. We’ve had our biggest and first permit for thirty years, since 1993.

Does he wear a hat that says, "Make Zimbabwe Great Again?"
I do not know if hat was meant as a joke no matter, I laughed because I could just picture X with his bodyguards wearing a “MZGA” hat.

Lon

I thought a 900k offense/ $400 bail was outrageous until I read of the $15 bail mentioned later...are those just a mockery of justice, or does anyone show up after bail granted?

I thought a 900k offense/ $400 bail was outrageous until I read of the $15 bail mentioned later...are those just a mockery of justice, or does anyone show up after bail granted?
Justice in Zimbabwe? Did you not watch the PBS documentary on the Zim Supreme Court's investigation of the last presidential election? Pffft.

Zimbabwe & RSA have extremely low bails in some cases.

One thing to understand in zim bail is set in Zim dollars. You may read bail was set at 1000,000.00 bond dollars. Sounds reasonable. 100,000.00 bond equals about $15.00.

We had about $14,000.00 in the bank when our reserve bank replaced it with worthless bond.

Lon

One thing to understand in zim bail is set in Zim dollars. You may read bail was set at 1000,000.00 bond dollars. Sounds reasonable. 100,000.00 bond equals about $15.00.

We had about $14,000.00 in the bank when our reserve bank replaced it with worthless bond.

Lon
I was told no one uses Zim currency anymore, not even the Zim govt. Just US dollars. Sounds like economic chaos. Reminds me of the Weimar Republic ... before Hitler's rise to power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineFu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.