Ruger No1 400H&H

Kiwifire111

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I have started the process of having a rifle built in the above calibre, and have found a dearth of reloading data, anywhere!!
Can anyone offer some data that uses IMR or Hodgkin's powder that I can relate to in ADI powders here in Australia, please?
I have 400gr Woodleigh and 300 Hornady bullets to play with.
Many thanks,
Mal the Kiwi.

Hey Mal - what an exciting project :love:

What barrel are you using?

I'll send you an email.

Mark

My 400 H&H has Douglas .410 cal bbl. .400" bore .410" groove. I only hunt with North Fork soft and solids. Practice rounds are Hawk & Hornady. Start with 65 grains of Varget. Should be around 2150 fps. Very accurate rifle

Contact Duke McCaa at Gulf Breeze firearms in Gulf Breeze Florida.

Or his son, L.D McCaa at Westley Richards USA.

They sell Dakota Rifles in 400 H&H and have considerable experience with reloading the cartridge.

Contact Duke McCaa at Gulf Breeze firearms in Gulf Breeze Florida.

Or his son, L.D McCaa at Westley Richards USA.

They sell Dakota Rifles in 400 H&H and have considerable experience with reloading the cartridge.
Some printed reloading data, NOT PRESSURE TESTED; use all safe reloading practices. Start low, work up carefully, use a chronograph. Consider all pressure signs.
As we know, each rifle is an individual.

Attributed to Pierre van der Walt, African Dangerous Cartridges, 2011, published by Pathfinder Adventure Books, South Africa.

If you don't have this book, buy it. Every serious African hunter, reloader and enthusiasts needs this book. The best reference on cartridges, rifles, and practical African experiences.

Mr. van der Walts' son had a bolt rifle built in this caliber. Hence his load development.
I have no connection with them but wish one day to meet Pierre.

Please post pictures of your rifle when completed.
400 H&H data.jpg

Always thought the 400 would be a fun cartridge to play around with....hope you post pics of your project as it comes along.

What a great project! I would love to see it when you have finished it.

I have a 400 H&H with a Douglas .411 barrel. I just finished developing a load of 400 gn Swift A Frames with 81 gn H4350. They average 2344 fps and are very accurate, under an inch at 100 yards. The Swifts are .410 but I was assured that would make no difference by the fellow at Swift and he is correct.

I used the van der Walt reference that you were shown above. I found this to be a very easy cartridge to load for.

I also have 400 gn Woodleigh over 77 gn of W760. The average was 2290 fps. This was just a starting load to try out the rifle, and it too shot very accurately.

This cartridge has all the upside of a 40 cal and shoots like a 375. I love it.

@zephyr has experience with the 300gn TSX so he may chime in and have some advice.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TERPZ

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.