Ruger m77 Hawkeye safety jam?

Mark it sounds as if he may be referring to the old original M77 that came with a two position tang safety.

The problems referred to on this thread are unique to the three position safety on the M77 Mark II and M77 Hawkeye rifles.
Well anything is possible but not probable in this case. I am very percise in most things to include asking a detailed question.

From the other forum where I ask Jim WIsner the question.

Hi James,

Do you or anyone you know of make a M70-type safety for the Ruger M77?
A professional hunter in Africa asked the question after bumping his safety which jammed his M77 action
during a dangerous game shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpq_jLUlw4Y [/td]

Below is a Jim Wisner 3-position M70-type safety for a M98 Mauser. He make the 3-position safeties with shrouds for several different type actions.
1727222158556.png

will have to check my M77's. Thank you for pointing out this problem.

Well anything is possible but not probable in this case. I am very percise in most things to include asking a detailed question.

From the other forum where I ask Jim WIsner the question.

Hi James,

Do you or anyone you know of make a M70-type safety for the Ruger M77?
A professional hunter in Africa asked the question after bumping his safety which jammed his M77 action
during a dangerous game shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpq_jLUlw4Y [/td]

Below is a Jim Wisner 3-position M70-type safety for a M98 Mauser. He make the 3-position safeties with shrouds for several different type actions.
View attachment 636132
Were can we contact them to order one?

Were can we contact them to order one?
@HENRY GRIFFITHS SAFARIS Sorry, but the answer is that neither Jim Wisner or anyone he knows of makes a Model 70 type 3-position safety for the Ruger Model 77.

You may communicate with him and maybe, just maybe he can help with this problem.
Perhaps a 3-poistion safety for another rifle might be able to be fitted by a competent gunsmith to a M77?

Wisner's Inc.
146 Curtis Hill Rd. Chehalis, Washington, 98532 USA
360-748-4590

This has never happened to me either, but while I have practiced fast cycling, I haven't done it under the stress of competition or in a field situation.

I kind of prefer the feel of the Ruger M77 safety over the Winchester Model 70 because it's easier to manipulate quietly with just my thumb, but this is a potential weakness in the Ruger that's good to know.

I understand why you're using the ball on the bolt handle, to facilitate speed, but I wonder if that makes it more likely to have the hand too close to the receiver? I.e., instead of the blade of your hand or small finger sliding back and catching on the bare steel knob, the rubber ball really grips near your thumb and almost encourages keeping the rest of your hand close to the receiver (and safety).

Thanks for pointing this out. I remain a fanboy of both the M77 and Model 70, and always find comparisons of their strengths and weaknesses to be interesting.

Thanks for the video and for sharing your experience. Unfortunately the gun did exactly what it is designed to do. The cause of the problem was an operator induced condition. Obviously this condition is not a good problem if you are dealing with wounded dangerous game, however being aware about the possibility is better than not knowing.

Personally I am a big fan of the Ruger M77 MK II rifles and own many. For me, the 3 position safety and scope mount design were leading features that made me select these rifles in my younger years for high volume deer culling in the rugged terrain of the Scottish Mountains. I often shot 4 rapid shots and never encountered accidently activating the safety while cycling the bolt, but I have never faced charging dangerous game either.

I was culling 75+ deer a year and regularly carried the Ruger rifles "on safe" through a lot of rough terrain, often crawling under thick tree plantations and other rough cover for over 30 years and never had the safe accidently come "off safe" from being manipulated by tree branches etc. Personally I like the Ruger M77 MKII safety design and have got on well with them over the years.

I did once get charged by a large red stag during the rut. it bust from heavy cover not far from me, he must of thought my squelching footstep noises and my occasional calls were really from another stag. I had my rifle in hand and managed to raise the gun at the same time as pushing the 3 position safety forward to shoot my .338 WM Ruger like at shotgun. I hit the stag square in the chest at about 5 yards, it was enough to make it swerve and miss me! It was a nice 12 point very large Red stag who collapsed and expired after a further 10 yards of travel. I realized after that the operation of the safety was just an action performed automatically as I raised my rifle, it paid to have a consistent rifle type and safety action where it effectively became second nature while hunting.

In recent years I took a brand new Benelli R1 semi automatic rifle out for opening whitetail day in Michigan, I had zeroed it great and it functioned perfect,. However, after trying to load and close the action quietly in the dark, I had a large group of deer under and in front of my tree stand at first light. For what seemed like 2 minutes, I tried to get the rifle to fire, my fumbling's included 4 insertions of the magazine and 4 bolt cycling actions, the nice looking 8 point buck and the rest of the group of deer eventually walked off further into the woods. I was left very frustrated & embarrassed to realize that I had not spent enough time with the rifle to know that you could not quietly hand close the action as it would not fully close the bolt for the rifle to function!

I agree with a number of comments above on the concept of carrying a rifle with the bolt partially closed, it can also have its issues.

If I was a PH in Africa maybe a Ruger would not be my first choice but as I client I would certainly take my .375 H&H Ruger RSM to hunt with. I took a Blaser R8 this year but got plenty of practice with it prior to my trip to make I was totally in tune with the safety and straight pull action. Some forms of actions and safety's may have advantages over others but I guess the key thing is to have a lot of experience with your rifle of choice and be open to understand the issues that could possibly occur and how to quickly correct them.

Now I've seen the video, if I ever have a bolt cycling issue with My Ruger's at least the first thing that I will check will be the safety, hopefully it will not be as a wounded buffalo is racing at me! Again thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger m77 in 375 Ruger caliber, i have been using this gun for more than 10 years on dangerous game. I had a very interesting bad experience with it on the Safari&outdoor dangerous game shooting competition this past Saturday. I will post a video below showing what happened but in short if the safety is bumped while pulling the bolt back the safety lever will get stuck in the bolt effectively jamming the gun. The bolt will not move forward or back unless the safety is pulled back to the fire position.

I know this is kind of freak occurrence , but i think it can happen again ,now knowing it can happen i will pay close attention to it and if it does happen and one know about it it can be fixed pretty quick.

I was curious if anyone else have had this problem, and a possible remedy, my local gunsmith says not much can be done other than removing the safety all together, something im not comfortable with doing,

I could be wrong but i took apart my 30-06 and the wire for the safety came off and the tang safety fell out. when I reassembled it and i accidentally got the saftey reversed so the bolt would not release. I had to re take apart reverse the tang safety reconnect the wire and no more trouble for my M77 Ruger

I could be wrong but i took apart my 30-06 and the wire for the safety came off and the tang safety fell out. when I reassembled it and i accidentally got the saftey reversed so the bolt would not release. I had to re take apart reverse the tang safety reconnect the wire and no more trouble for my M77 Ruger
Henry, maybe you could try this or actually get a gunsmith to remove the 1 stage and make it a two stage safety only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteSchnel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?