Ruger Guide Gun thoughts and reviews

Thank you for your input, I was hoping to get a reference point of some type in regards to the suppressor. Once I get one I’ll have to do some measuring to be sure but I’ll definitely look at some of the slimmer cans. In poking around the internet I had come across some comments saying that Ruger had some funny thread pitches, but it also seems at least some suppressors come with adapters and there are several aftermarket ones as well that seem like they would work. It would be nice if they would just give them standard threads from the factory though.
I just took a quick look and found a company called 'Infinite Thread Adapters' that offers an adapter from 1/2-24 to 5/8-24 for $24. I've never used their products, so I have no idea if they're any good.

If you buy a HUB can (one with the rear threaded 1.375X24) you may be able to find a direct thread mount in 1/2-24 so you can get rid of the extra threaded joint and the potential misalignment that comes with it. I'm not aware of one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Worst case, you could have one custom made. Ecco Machine would probably be able to help you out with a custom mount.

I checked Griffin Armament's site and they don't have any muzzle devices in 1/2-24. They generally have the best selection of oddball threaded muzzle devices that I've found.

Thank you for your input, I was hoping to get a reference point of some type in regards to the suppressor. Once I get one I’ll have to do some measuring to be sure but I’ll definitely look at some of the slimmer cans. In poking around the internet I had come across some comments saying that Ruger had some funny thread pitches, but it also seems at least some suppressors come with adapters and there are several aftermarket ones as well that seem like they would work. It would be nice if they would just give them standard threads from the factory though.
5/8” x 18 is an odd duck- my plan was to get that cut off & have it rethreaded 5/8”x24 along with recrowning by a competent smith- 5/8x 24 has become the more standardized thread pattern for 5/8” muzzle devices.

Each additional adapter is another opportunity to cause an issue.

I've owned a Guide Gun 30-06 since they first came out. Yes, it's heavy for a compact 30-06 but that's part of its charm. The basic platform was built to handle up to 416Ruger so in 30-06 it's built like a tank. Way overbuilt. Stainless. Laminate stock. It will survive a dystopian event. I love mine and I've killed a lot of deer with it. Highly recommend the Guide Gun in general and specifically in 30-06. I've also owned a Ruger GSR in 308 a few times. I keep buying and selling them. IMO they're no where close to the Guide Gun in overall utility. YMMV.

100% agree with the comments about the odd thread pitch on the muzzle. Doesn't bother me because I have no desire to suppress it, but it was an unusual choice by Ruger.

I've owned a Guide Gun 30-06 since they first came out. Yes, it's heavy for a compact 30-06 but that's part of its charm. The basic platform was built to handle up to 416Ruger so in 30-06 it's built like a tank. Way overbuilt. Stainless. Laminate stock. It will survive a dystopian event. I love mine and I've killed a lot of deer with it. Highly recommend the Guide Gun in general and specifically in 30-06. I've also owned a Ruger GSR in 308 a few times. I keep buying and selling them. IMO they're no where close to the Guide Gun in overall utility. YMMV.

100% agree with the comments about the odd thread pitch on the muzzle. Doesn't bother me because I have no desire to suppress it, but it was an unusual choice by Ruger.
Ruger needs to ramp up production of these, especially in 375 and 416.

It sounds like the demand is there.

Hello everyone. I’m looking at getting a Ruger guide gun in 30-06 as a general purpose rifle while the army ships me across the US for the next few years and would like to hear your opinions or experiences with the rifle. I know I’ve seen a few on here before and would just like to compile some thoughts. I’ve also thought about getting it rebored to 35 Whelen if I ever end up in Alaska and would like to know if anyone has done that as well. Lastly, the short barrel seems primed for a suppressor, but I’m not sure if the irons would still be useable with a suppressor, so any experience with that would be greatly appreciated as well.
I have 2 of the 30-06 Guide Guns. Unfortunately, both still unfired by me. Both were purchased used. One has had the barrel threads cut and crowned. Both are in now in Bell & Carlson stocks. The one with the threads removed weighs right at 7 lbs 13 oz. The other one, with the brake installed and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3i weighs right at 9 lbs, 1/10 of an once under.
The fiberglass stock definitely sheds some weight.

I originally was going to have the one with threads removed re-bored to 35 Whelen. I bought the dies, brass, and bullets, but put the project on hold, maybe at a later date. I regularly moose hunt with 20" 375 & 416 Rugers, so I have that pretty well covered. Though, I do share the like of the 35 Whelen.

I think the 20" barrels are pretty handy. I see Guide Guns now offered in 300 Winchester & 338 Winchester. I have seen these in the Hogue rubber stocks. Of those two, the 338 Winchester would interest me.

I have one in .375 Ruger. It’s a stout little tank and I love it. Reboring the .30-06 to 35 whelen doesn’t make a ton of since when you could just pick up a second in .375. The 35 whelen has some nostalgia but the .375 Ruger cartridge seems to be made for that rifle (or vice versa) and gives you a whole lot of power in a compact package.

If they ever start making them again I’d buy another. Wish I could find a .416 too.

If you're set on a Ruger Guide Gun. I'd get one in 30/06 and 375. That way you're covered either way. The cost to re-barrel or rebore to 35W will get you most of the way to a complete new rifle in 375. Plus, the vast majority of your hunting can be done with the 06.

I understand the 375 version is probably a more practical option, but the nostalgia of the 35 Whelen and the hand loading options have really turned it into more of a pet project/idea than anything. I also understand the 30-06 is the most versatile option and so I wouldn’t rebore it until I have that role filled again with most likely a 308 or something similar. So to some extent I guess I’m just wondering if the transition to 35 Whelen is reasonably feasible, not so much if it’s the “best” option.

I understand the 375 version is probably a more practical option, but the nostalgia of the 35 Whelen and the hand loading options have really turned it into more of a pet project/idea than anything. I also understand the 30-06 is the most versatile option and so I wouldn’t rebore it until I have that role filled again with most likely a 308 or something similar. So to some extent I guess I’m just wondering if the transition to 35 Whelen is reasonably feasible, not so much if it’s the “best” option.
Definitely feasible. But I'd go with a new barrel vs a rebore. Ruger actually made some rifles in 35W. I owned one myself. It was a good shooting rifle. It had factory iron sights and was a nice looking gun. There are actually a couple for sale on gunbroker right now.

Hello everyone. I’m looking at getting a Ruger guide gun in 30-06 as a general purpose rifle while the army ships me across the US for the next few years and would like to hear your opinions or experiences with the rifle. I know I’ve seen a few on here before and would just like to compile some thoughts. I’ve also thought about getting it rebored to 35 Whelen if I ever end up in Alaska and would like to know if anyone has done that as well. Lastly, the short barrel seems primed for a suppressor, but I’m not sure if the irons would still be useable with a suppressor, so any experience with that would be greatly appreciated as well.
I own one of the first 416 Ruger Guide Guns off the line. It has served me well on several hunts. I highly recommend the brand and this particular model in any caliber.

I own one of the first 416 Ruger Guide Guns off the line. It has served me well on several hunts. I highly recommend the brand and this particular model in any caliber.
What's the recoil like with the 416 out of the Guide Gun since it only weighs around 8lbs naked?

What's the recoil like with the 416 out of the Guide Gun since it only weighs around 8lbs naked?
Depends if you use the the ported barrel extension or not. When I use that it’s no more than my 300 WinMag. Without it’s a little stiffer than a 375 H&H

Definitely feasible. But I'd go with a new barrel vs a rebore. Ruger actually made some rifles in 35W. I owned one myself. It was a good shooting rifle. It had factory iron sights and was a nice looking gun. There are actually a couple for sale on gunbroker right now.
I’ve started to come around to the idea of rebarreling it, especially if I could find someone to put irons on it that would be tall enough to clear a suppressor. I’ve heard of people having good luck reboring through JES Rebore, but haven’t heard many recommendations for completely rebarreling. Are there any cons to a new barrel?

I’ve started to come around to the idea of rebarreling it, especially if I could find someone to put irons on it that would be tall enough to clear a suppressor. I’ve heard of people having good luck reboring through JES Rebore, but haven’t heard many recommendations for completely rebarreling. Are there any cons to a new barrel?
I had a 416 Rem Mag rebarreled and it was extremely accurate. They installed open sights on it and it was very nicely done. This work was done by SSK Firearms. Give them a call.

@NorthernNomad
I didn't know they did a guide gun in 30-06 I thought they were 308.
Even if it's a 308 get it rebored to 358 Winchester which is an awesome little powerhouse that is under appreciated.
The 35 Whelen is a VERY POTENT round when loaded to its FULL potential.
Bob

Thank you for all the responses so far. I feel I should elaborate a little bit on the 35 Whelen aspect of it. I’ve become quite enamored with the ole Whelen and one of the main reasons behind choosing the guide gun is because it fits the qualities I would like in a Whelen so my idea is to get a solid gun in the 30-06 version of the guide gun and run it stock until I find the need arises for the Whelen, at which point I’ll get it rebored and probably replace the 30-06 use case with either another 30-06 or more likely something a bit smaller that pairs nicely with the Whelen ( current front runner is a 6.5-06 or Swede or maybe a 7x57). So it’s a rather drawn out pipe dream at the moment but i wanted to know if it was even one worth chasing, or if there were better ideas already out there.
@NorthernNomad
If you are going the Whelen route stock up on Hodgdon cfe223. It's the go to powder for the Whelen. Using speers load of 64gn you will get the 250gr out at 2,700fps in a 24 inch barrel.
Sierra lists 70gn of cfe223 max load for 2,900fps with a 225gn game king.
If you want to put some big hurt on big critters load up some Woodleigh 310gn RNSP with upto 62gn of H4350 for 2,400fps.
Ain't no flies on a properly loaded Whelen
Bob

@NorthernNomad
Converting a 30-06 to 35 Whelen is always a good option.
Loaded properly it will do all the 338WM will do out to 400yrds and with a 310gn Woodleigh at 2400fps and 4,000fpe of muzzle energy it will put a lot of hurt on bigger game.
I am a 35 Whelen tragic tho.
Just a pity it's not legal for dg like the 375 is.
Bob

@NorthernNomad
Converting a 30-06 to 35 Whelen is always a good option.
Loaded properly it will do all the 338WM will do out to 400yrds and with a 310gn Woodleigh at 2400fps and 4,000fpe of muzzle energy it will put a lot of hurt on bigger game.
I am a 35 Whelen tragic tho.
Just a pity it's not legal for dg like the 375 is.
Bob
I have a feeling that both 35 Whelen and 338 WinMag would perform just fine on cape buffalo. I wonder if anyone here has used either on dangerous game either before caliber restrictions were put in place or in countries that don't maintain the 375 minimum rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamakatoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with