Ruger Alaskan 416 Ruger

If they made that gun in 375 H&H I'd be all over it. For some reason I just can't get myself to warm up to the 375 Ruger. The lore of the 375 is calling.
I have a couple 375 H&H rifles and love them. I also had a 375 Ruger once and at that time I really wanted another 375 H&H so I sold it. I think the 375 Ruger is here to stay now. It's really a great cartridge, i just wish some more companies would produce rifles and ammo for it. The 416 Ruger is also a great cartridge, but it shares the same problem as the 375 Ruger in limited rifles and ammo availability. However, there's hardly any short barrel, stainless DG rifles on the market, especially in 416. So, the guide gun or Alaskan fills that void. I handload, so ammo is no problem. That said, I sure wish Winchester would get their head out of their butt and make a nice stainless, lighter weight 375 and 416 such as Ruger has done, accept in 375 H&H and 416 Rem mag.
 
That said, I sure wish Winchester would get their head out of their butt and make a nice stainless, lighter weight 375 and 416 such as Ruger has done, accept in 375 H&H and 416 Rem mag.

Exactly...by the time I chop an M70 and put a barrel band front sight on I could buy 2 Rugers :(
 
I'll be looking for a SS Classic when the time comes. Maybe have it turned down a bit and lopped of to 21". NECG front and rear sights and a nice composite stock. Not sure I'll ever make it to Africa, but her in the PNW it is wet and/or snowy during hunting season. SS and synthetic makes sense for me.
 
I use the 375 & 416 Rugers for my moose hunting. I have become very fond of the 20" barrels. It depends on the day which is my favorite.
It took awhile for me to get around to using the 416 due to being a 375 fan. But, I really like the rifle / cartridge combination. I use 350 grain Barnes TSX, which are easy to shoot and accurate in my rifle.
I did replace the Hogue stocks. Though did use the 416 one year with the Hogue. It is a very serviceable stock and certainly grippy in the rain.
The 20" barrels are an advantage to me in the tangles and confines of a ground blind. This was reinforced this year when using a 375 Ruger with a few inches longer barrel.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,277
Messages
1,570,345
Members
168,876
Latest member
MarylynEdd
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top