Ruger 35 Whelen Range Report

I finally got my Lipsey's Ruger in 35 Whelen out to the range today. My rifle purchases are always leading my scope purchases, so it took a bit to get a scope mounted. I got some Alaskan Arms quick disconnecting rings and a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10 to complete the rig. After three shots with Hornady Superformance 200 grain ammo to sight in the scope, I shifted over to my handholds using 220 grain Power Hammer bullets and CFE 223. These were the first two three-shot groups with 0.5 grains difference in the loads. My velocities averaged 2833 fps and 2825.3 fps for these two. (y)

View attachment 612849
View attachment 612850
@Reg26
That's how a good Whelen shoots mate.
Bob

Nice. I have same rifle. Mine is liking the speer 250gr bullet with Varget. I have a couple boxes of the hornady super performance and its just too fast for my preference. I put leupold 1.5-5 on mine.
@professor
No such thing as to fast. Speer lists loads for the 250s at 2,700fps. Plenty of wallop.
Bob

I like the 225 Gr. bullets in my 35 Whelen. That being, said I wouldn't quibble over the 5 Gr. difference. With the kind of accuracy and velocity you are getting, I'd stop load development right now! Bob has been trying to convince me to shift from my IMR 4064 to CFE 223. My accuracy is about the same as yours, but my velocity is only 2730 FPS.
@Shootist43
Art one day you will give cfe223 a go it is written in the stars.
Bob

@ Mikelo thanks for your post of the Ruger #1 .35 Whelen with Hornady 250 grain bullets and Varget.
That's what I load, mid-range book load, not chrono, but it is accurate.
@cajunchefray
Mate try the 250s at full throttle of 2,700fps. Makes the Whelen a beast. Go hard or go home as we say. To many of them shrimp poboys is makin y'all soft mate. Stoke it up and have fun
Bob

"All the 143 owners will breath a sigh of relief as I can't hang shit on them as much"

I think calling it a "143" was intentional. ;-)

Btw, nice rifle and grouping!

"All the 143 owners will breath a sigh of relief as I can't hang shit on them as much"

I think calling it a "143" was intentional. ;-)

Btw, nice rifle and grouping!
@cash_tx
It was intentional as I hate writing the number two before those other numbers. It makes me shudder thinking of it
Bob

35 Whelen is a good cartridge, good enough for any game animal on the American continents. That said, there is not a lot of factory ammo available, and those tend to be 200 gr bullets unless you look hard for the 235s or 250s. Seems like a lot of people don't like getting thumped by their rifles (cue the 6.5 Creedmore fan boys), especially when very feeble cartridges can slay Bambi just fine. For elk, 300 Win Mag rules the roost, but there is plenty of room for the less common cartridges. I have hunted with 7X57 for years, although dabbling with 7mm Rem Mag, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H, and a few really odd oes. All of them kick too hard, but they are great to hunt with in spite of that. So, if you want a 35 Whelen, get one, scratch that itch. It might stick, it might not. But if you don't try it, you will never know, and it will bug you forever. So I say do it!

From what Ive read, the Speer bullets perform better moving slower. Im just going to continue what Im doing. Maybe when I run out of powder, I will have to change.
@professor
The 250gn Speer worked just fine in Namibia at full throttle in plains game
Bob

35 Whelen is a good cartridge, good enough for any game animal on the American continents. That said, there is not a lot of factory ammo available, and those tend to be 200 gr bullets unless you look hard for the 235s or 250s. Seems like a lot of people don't like getting thumped by their rifles (cue the 6.5 Creedmore fan boys), especially when very feeble cartridges can slay Bambi just fine. For elk, 300 Win Mag rules the roost, but there is plenty of room for the less common cartridges. I have hunted with 7X57 for years, although dabbling with 7mm Rem Mag, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H, and a few really odd oes. All of them kick too hard, but they are great to hunt with in spite of that. So, if you want a 35 Whelen, get one, scratch that itch. It might stick, it might not. But if you don't try it, you will never know, and it will bug you forever. So I say do it!
@Uxas
My Whelen with 225s is a kittens caress but the bigger bullets aren't to bad either. All to do with gun fit
Bob

Todays range work. Ruger hawkeye african 35 whelen. This batch used Fiocchi lr primers. Ive ran out of the Rem 9 1/2 that have been good for me. The 64gr load which is Speers max offered a 2 gr spread in the first 3 shots. Chronograph garmin xero c1.
CFE 223 definitely gets it going faster than Varget but my barrel is slower than Speer lists. The max load according to Speer should go 2600+.
accuracy was MOA with 64 gr. 62.5 was 2nd best , not sure what happened at 63 and 63.5gr. 62 gr had much blowback, black stuff, over case neck.
Primers look good at max. Thinking I can load bullets out to fit throat better and maybe bump charge a bit. Its also possible that the Hornady 250gr bullet might perform better. I have 300 of them, but not tested yet.
1000004789.jpg

1704760027520.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?