Ruger #1

Earle

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
Need the opinion of members who own/shoot the #1 chambered in 458WM. Not a stranger to 458s, just #1s and wonder if there are any problems to the #1s. Not overly concerned about recoil, just any other possible issues. Thanks

I own several number 1s but none bigger than 300 win. I can tell you that the action is more than capabale of handling the 458 win or Lott. You won’t be disappointed if you choose to purchase one.

I had one in .458 Lott. I only shot .458 win mags and light bullet handloads in it. No problems whatsoever with it. It was muzzle heavy though and I didn't care for that. Recoil was pretty snappy in the factory Win mag ammo.

I’ve had one in 458 for years, it was my first step up from the 375 and into the pit of hell that come with it. The next one is Never enough! Have had no trouble what do ever out of the rifle though

Thanks guy's. The one i am looking at is indeed a 458WM that appears in very good shape I have had no recoil issues with the WM or Lott, however they have always been housed in CZ550s and that has me wondering about a #1. Waiting to hear back from the seller to arrange a viewing.

I have one in .458 Lott. It is survivable. The action is strong. The only thing that really will stop it is spilled powder from a load that was too long. I ejected the round and the bullet was into the leade and it stayed, but the case dumped powder all over on the way out. That was a mess. With .458 WM I presume you will be fine. You may want to change the Ruger factory hockey puck to a pacmayr decelerator.

Search the forum and you will find lots of win mag info. Avoid the negative Nellie's that will find any thread and then re-live the 70's stories about win mags. Badboymelvin has done plenty of work with the win mag. The saami chamber allows a lot of space for loading bullets long. With a no 1 you don't have to worry about magazine length so you can get lott velocities by loading bullets long. And copper solids with driving bands lend themselves to that. I have loaded 480 gr peregrines and 450 gr as well in the win mag. A friend gave me some win mag ammo that has taken 10-20 elephant. 450 gr peregrine solid at 2300 fps.

Search the forum and you will find lots of win mag info. Avoid the negative Nellie's that will find any thread and then re-live the 70's stories about win mags. Badboymelvin has done plenty of work with the win mag. The saami chamber allows a lot of space for loading bullets long. With a no 1 you don't have to worry about magazine length so you can get lott velocities by loading bullets long. And copper solids with driving bands lend themselves to that. I have loaded 480 gr peregrines and 450 gr as well in the win mag. A friend gave me some win mag ammo that has taken 10-20 elephant. 450 gr peregrine solid at 2300 fps.
Did you see where he said he had experience with the .458 and was looking for information on the Ruger #1 rifle specifically in this chambering?

I have one in .458 Lott. No issues with it although I would definitely replace the factory recoil pad (Something I haven’t gotten around to).
I load either 350 gr Hornady’s or 400 gr Speers for practice. I also use snap-caps for reloading practice.
The load I intend to use on buffalo will be a 450 gr Barnes backed by H335.

Need the opinion of members who own/shoot the #1 chambered in 458WM. Not a stranger to 458s, just #1s and wonder if there are any problems to the #1s. Not overly concerned about recoil, just any other possible issues. Thanks
I currently own 4 Ruger #1s. I previously had a 458 Lott. Now problems with any of them. I will say that the Lott had a heck of a kick but I u deer stand the the 458 WM is not as stout.

I have had one in 458 lott and a custom built one in 500 nitro. Only thing that might be an issue is cracking at the tang on the inside. But i wouldnt worry about it too much, my 500 was second hand and i think the guy shot it in a weighted sled too much

My first 458 Win Mag was a Ruger No1. It was also my first rifle with more power than the 30/06 and 45/70. I skipped the 375 and 416, and went straight to the 45. This was 2001 and I paid $500 for that rifle in excellent condition. I wish I had kept it!
The ammo I was using at the time was Hornady Heavy Magnum 500 gr solids. I got a kick out of shooting through big pine trees and couldn't believe the penetration that rifle was capable of.
The 458 WM worked very well in the Ruger 1, but like others have said, a good recoil pad would help.

I have one in .458 Lott. It is survivable. The action is strong. The only thing that really will stop it is spilled powder from a load that was too long. I ejected the round and the bullet was into the leade and it stayed, but the case dumped powder all over on the way out. That was a mess. With .458 WM I presume you will be fine. You may want to change the Ruger factory hockey puck to a pacmayr decelerator.
@Forrest Halley
Your going soft young fella. I would have thunk you would have taken that nice soft ruger pad off and changed it to the good recoil reducing curved but plat of years gone by that real men used to use.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Did you see where he said he had experience with the .458 and was looking for information on the Ruger #1 rifle specifically in this chambering?
@Forrest Halley
Come on mate play nicely with others or you will have to go to the naughty corner. @Badboymelvin is the 458 guru for sure
Bob

@Forrest Halley
Come on mate play nicely with others or you will have to go to the naughty corner. @Badboymelvin is the 458 guru for sure
Bob

Haha! Thanks for the compliment Bob but I'm not a guru! Just a .458 tragic!
Gentlemen like Timbo, BenKK and Michael458 and many more on here know a lot more than I do (y)

Last edited:
@Forrest Halley
Your going soft young fella. I would have thunk you would have taken that nice soft ruger pad off and changed it to the good recoil reducing curved but plat of years gone by that real men used to use.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Mainly I was interested in getting my thumb further away from my face so that I could wrap the stock and slow down the recoil just a tad without thumbing myself in the face. But I am getting soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CleoM74904

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]