Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
Decided to commit to a Hippo and PG hunt with other possibilities this year. 10 Days hunting. +/-

Looking at Flights from San Francisco to JNB. 1 Stop. Leave August 30th or 31st and return on September 12th or 13th.

What are you seeing for round trip fares? Who are you using to book with? Anyone booking their own flights?

I’ve had good luck booking myself on the last couple trips, but I’ll check in with the usual agencies.

What airlines do you like?

Any changes in travel with firearms?

Any equipment/planes that you prefer flying?

Best seating value?

Thanks in advance!

NIGHTHAWK

I have been using United and/or Ethiopian Airlines. No complaints yet, but I’m not picky. Really just thankful I can go 8000 miles in a day. When on Ethiopian I try to get the row just behind first class. It’s row 11 or 12. After watching a couple movies I prop my feet up on my back pack and get some sleep. It makes an easy trip. Happy hunting.

Have only used Gracy Travel and always been pleased with them. I take my own guns and they handle that very well. I’ve flown delta out of salt lake with a stop in Atlanta without issue. South African airlines out of New York but they are gone now.
I do upgrade the seating to as much as I can afford for the over water portion of the journey.
I do book almost a year ahead to try and reserve a better seat-

Besides booking this next trip to Uganda with Hannah of Gracy Travel, I have booked my own flights. Fares this year are super expensive! I’ve had great success with United. The period of time you are looking at is the cheapest time frame I’ve seen.

I generally fly Star Alliance airlines to Africa (United, Ethiopian, Swiss Air and Turkish primarily) because I have a lot of miles on United and I try to use my miles when I can. Because I have traveled internationally for many years I am comfortable booking the flights myself and I have had good luck on all of these carriers. I don't know if you are planning to fly Business or Coach but a friend of mine just found a low rate on a business class ticket on Qatar Airways from Houston to JNB. I suspect Qatar flies from San Fran to JNB with connection in Doha, you might want to take a look at them. They are an excellent airline and many of my friends have flown them with their guns and never had any issues.

I use Kayak.com to find tickets, you can select/filter all kind of stuff, and then buy from air company directly, easier to make changes etc.

For seats, look at seatguru once you know flight.

If you can leave after Labor day everything will be less expensive.
Also book a separate flight to New-York and start looking from there, you'll save a ton.
Google Flights is an excellent tool to use.

I use Kayak.com to find tickets, you can select/filter all kind of stuff, and then buy from air company directly, easier to make changes etc.

For seats, look at seatguru once you know flight.
Seatguru no longer being updated, try aerolopa.

We're headed to Jo'burg on 17th August, flying Qatar out of IAH with a stop in Doha. I think we have about 4 or 5 hours more airtime than if we flew United out of EWR or Delta out of ATL. But. Business class is out of my budget with any of them, and upgrading to economy plus was only slightly more expensive than standard economy with UA or Delta. Since I'm 6'6", I'll deal with the extra air time just to have enough leg room.

Never flown Qatar, but I have flown Emirates. Emirates is hands down the best airline I've ever flown, and more than a few people have told me Qatar is even better than Emirates.

FWIW, Logan is the closest airport to JNB in CONUS. Unfortunately, no directs from Logan to JNB

We're headed to Jo'burg on 17th August, flying Qatar out of IAH with a stop in Doha. I think we have about 4 or 5 hours more airtime than if we flew United out of EWR or Delta out of ATL. But. Business class is out of my budget with any of them, and upgrading to economy plus was only slightly more expensive than standard economy with UA or Delta. Since I'm 6'6", I'll deal with the extra air time just to have enough leg room.

Never flown Qatar, but I have flown Emirates. Emirates is hands down the best airline I've ever flown, and more than a few people have told me Qatar is even better than Emirates.

FWIW, Logan is the closest airport to JNB in CONUS. Unfortunately, no directs from Logan to JNB
I may do the same…

I have not noted discrepancies on seatguru. Is it the seatguru data that is not being updated, or do you refer to the app only?
Seatguru has not been updated for a while.

Qatar is an excellent airline and Doha is a great airport to spend time and stretch the legs.
In reality most if not all the Middle East airlines are way better than all the US airlines in terms of customer service, food and space.
Customer service in US has become a thing of the past and we still keep tipping, lol.

Seatguru has not been updated for a while.
Yes, you keep saying that, but do you refer to the app (which I know has not been updated in a while), or is it the data available on seetguru.com? I have had not problems with seatguru.com, but I might just have been lucky, that is why I keep asking what you mean.

Yes, you keep saying that, but do you refer to the app (which I know has not been updated in a while), or is it the data available on seetguru.com? I have had not problems with seatguru.com, but I might just have been lucky, that is why I keep asking what you mean.
Seatguru was bought I believe by Expedia??
After that they basically let it go away.
Both the app and the site is not being updated for a while.

From Bozeman Mt I fly direct to Atlanta then Johannesburg on delta . Shortest time is best. I will be taking that flight last week of September.

From Bozeman Mt I fly direct to Atlanta then Johannesburg on delta . Shortest time is best. I will be taking that flight last week of September.
1710110770075.png

1710110783942.png

The shortest direct from CONUS to JNB would be from Logan in Boston, but nobody has directs from Logan to JNB

After a 15 hour flight that extra 450 miles isn't going to matter very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanieE2464

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]