ROMANIA: Brown Bear & Red Stag

Absolutely outstanding!

That is a great bear, congrats :D Cheers:

Romania is such a great hunting country. That bear is an absolute brute. There was an odd rule that if a bear was too large it could not be exported. Will you be able to export this bear?

DAY 1 part 2

Slinking downhill in single-file fashion like a big caterpillar, we moved cautiously. Hoping for the best and fearing the worst. Myself as the caboose on this train gave me a unique perspective as I looked down the hill. Seeing four sets of head lamps independently scanning left then right then back left. It seems a bit comical now although it surely wasn’t at the time. About 50 yards down, the ranger called out that he sees him with his thermal. After a couple customary rock tosses, we move closer and confirm he had expired. Whew!

As I walked up to him, I was speechless for the first couple minutes. What a magnificent old warrior, I thought. With scars on both sides of his face, wore down molars, a busted canine, and a body the size of a VW bug, I could not have been more impressed.

View attachment 637518

View attachment 637519

View attachment 637520

View attachment 637521

We were about 100 yards down from the ridge and contemplating our next move. The ranger called in some villagers for help, and before long we had a fair-sized team up for the task. At first, we tried to push and pull but he did not budge. Some were discussing skinning him where he lay but, the incline was too steep. Then an old jeep with a wench was driven to the edge and a rope strung from the wench cable to the giant. The rope snapped. Then a series of 20–30-foot straps were acquired, from who knows where, and tied end to end all the way down and just long enough to wrap around one rear leg. With several people on the slope cutting brush and keeping the line straight, and one person designated to keeping the remaining rear leg from snagging brush and anchoring the effort, Inch by inch that little wench got the job done.

Once back on top, we took a few more pictures then began to skin and process the bear. My hit was a high heart shot that did not pass through. As a plus, we did find the nicely mushroomed bullet inside the chest cavity. The meat was cut into manageable pieces and placed into plastic containers. From what I understand, the meat would be tested for trichinosis then sold to local restaurants and markets.

Marius and I got back to the hotel around 2:30 AM and cleaned up a bit. Still wired and wanting to celebrate, we walked to the market and picked up a bottle of Jack. We had a great time reliving this evening’s events then started planning for part two of the adventure. We would pack up and leave in the morning to the flatter, agricultural land to chase the red stag. At 4:30 the bottle was empty, and we decided it was time for bed.
That thing is huge! Well done.

Romania is such a great hunting country. That bear is an absolute brute. There was an odd rule that if a bear was too large it could not be exported. Will you be able to export this bear?
Yes, that is correct. He should just make it. Interestingly enough, he was a very old bear at 20+ and on the downside. Marius thought he would have been a bit larger a season or two ago.

.............. At 4:30 the bottle was empty, and we decided it was time for bed.

Reminds me of a Leopard hunt celebration in Mozambique.
Congratulations. That is a great old bear.

Congratulations that looks like an outstanding bear, quite a beast

WOW! Congratulations, amazing beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henkg

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?