Rigby Mopani 450 Rigby Rifle

Whats the reasoning behind not shooting it, keeping it in mint condition as a collectable?
That's correct, just me personally .. I didn't know they had Ltd Editions, etc. I think that's the finest Rigby I've seen, imho.

Last edited:
That's correct, just me personally .. I didn't know they had Ltd Editions, etc. I think that's the finest Rigby I've seen, imho.
Understand what you are saying, with all the fancy gold inlays it is in my eyes created more as a collectable rather than a working rifle. As I said in my original post, the gold inlays etc don't really add value for me and are never my first choice, however the opportunity was just too good to pass up. I will be using it in the field I'll just try and be a bit more careful when and where I choose to use it. I hope I don't wear the gold off it but there is a possibility that could end up happening, couldn't imagine the gold inlays being hard wearing.........

So I knew this rifle would be amazing but I completely underestimated how nice this specific rifle is and how nice the Mopani series of rifles are in general. This thing is unbelievable, I could not be happier, and let me tell you photos do not do it justice. This could possibly be the nicest Rigby I have ever seen and I'm not just saying that because I own it. All though fancy limited edition is not usually my style I have to say that the rifle being number 1 of 12 is pretty cool.

1703059396519.jpeg

1703059440607.jpeg

1703059495816.jpeg

1703059530399.jpeg

1703059584031.jpeg

1703059622438.jpeg

1703059670170.jpeg

1703059708211.jpeg

1703059741351.jpeg

1703059770210.jpeg

Santa came through!

What a ripper.

Attachments

Maybe if I sold a kidney I could afford this beauty. :ROFLMAO:

Awesome, crazy gorgeous rifle.
But, looks can be deceiving ;P That rifle is not just a beauty queen.
Looking at the stock its clear that the wood on this one comes from a walnut tree that probably have lived for 3-400 years in semi desert conditions growing exceptionally dense grain makin it super strong. And that is of course what you want in a hard recoiling rifle.
The beauty in such a stock is really secondary and a bonus. The strength is the essential. It seems to be very straight grained. Great!
I really like the fact that this one is a dedicated open sights shooter. Gorgeous flag safety and all. My favorite!
So go out in the bush, hunt hard, enjoy life and make happy adrenaline filled memories.

What are the various limited edition Rigbys? I had heard of the WDM Bell Highland Stalker, the Jim Corbett Highland Stalker, but never The Mopani. So far I have found the Swiss Rifle, the limited edition falling block, the Tsavo Rifle. Any I'm missing?

and the Selous

and the Dagga Boy

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/rigby-unveils-new-dagga-boy-special-edition-rifle/

and the Wuhan virus lockdown special ‘Carry On’

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/keep-calm-and-carry-on-rifle/

one of which sold (not to me :( ) for an insanely low price at auction last year.

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/277...l-length-leather-rifle-case-with-accessories/

Attachments

Last edited:
I looked at the "Dagga Boy" model recently online before buying this Mopani rifle. The Mopani series are still my favourite of all the different limited series out there, I do really like the water buffalo series of rifles but they went with traditional blueing on those instead of the plasma nitride finish, I love the plasma nitride finish and will choose it over a blued finish any day of the week.

Awesome, crazy gorgeous rifle.
But, looks can be deceiving ;P That rifle is not just a beauty queen.
Looking at the stock its clear that the wood on this one comes from a walnut tree that probably have lived for 3-400 years in semi desert conditions growing exceptionally dense grain makin it super strong. And that is of course what you want in a hard recoiling rifle.
The beauty in such a stock is really secondary and a bonus. The strength is the essential. It seems to be very straight grained. Great!
I really like the fact that this one is a dedicated open sights shooter. Gorgeous flag safety and all. My favorite!
So go out in the bush, hunt hard, enjoy life and make happy adrenaline filled memories.
All though I love some of the gnarly pieces of walnut you see out there these days, I always end up favouring straight grain. The really dense straight grain is by far my favourite and as you mentioned has the strength as well which is always reassuring especially on something like a 450 Rigby.

Took this rifle to the range today, feeds, shoots, extracts and ejects perfectly as expected. Loaded the magazine full and fired all 3 rounds, zero issues and actually feels a bit smoother than the last 450 Rigby I owned. Don't need to touch the sights, it's right on out of the box but I very quickly remembered how brutal those silvers recoil pads are, they are bloody rough on the shoulder. The triggers on the Rigby rifles are exceptional, definitely the best triggers out there on a big game rifle IMO. I want to change the recoil pad but I also want to keep it all original so still thinking about it for now.

Spectacular!

All though I love some of the gnarly pieces of walnut you see out there these days, I always end up favouring straight grain. The really dense straight grain is by far my favourite and as you mentioned has the strength as well which is always reassuring especially on something like a 450 Rigby.
Yup, those gnarly pieces often looks great and can be very strong but they can also have structural weaknesses so we agree totally on that super dense and straight grain is the way to go. 450 Rigby can deal some serious punishment to the wood.

I almost wonder if we can have rifles with stocks from the same tree...?
Around 2015-2016 I spent several months searching for a proper piece of wood for a dedicated open sights shooter...full fiddle back, super dense and straight grain were key. The action is hand inletted old school way. I got "complaints" from the gun maker that his hand tools did not bite on the wood. It was too hard. According to him and I don`t doubt it, he spent 3 days just inletting the action. Mine is alcanet oil treathened soo its a little darker for that reason.
D7CA1D3D-56E9-4B5F-B371-B010DE84599D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeulahLomb

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?