Rigby Big Game Vs Heym Express vs Mauser 98

If you are planning to install the scope, I would suggest first to check which of all of them is double square bridge action, and which one is single square bridge action.
New mauser 98 is as per catalogue single square bridge,

If you are planning to install the scope, I would suggest first to check which of all of them is double square bridge action, and which one is single square bridge action.
New mauser 98 is as per catalogue single square bridge,
All the new Mauser M98s I’ve seen have been DSB. 375 cal and up that is

I can only aspire to own a Rigby or Heym so no frame of reference there. I have owned a pre64 model 70 and currently own a custom Mauser 98 in 7x57 and a Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905. The biggest difference I see between American made rifles and European is in fit and finish. European design usually have a longer LOP, a palm swell in the grip, open sights regulated to a certain bullet weight and load. Usually there are sling mounts incorporated. I find their fit and finish more to my taste. I must admit I wish they incorporated the model 70 style safety as the 3 position wing safety can be difficult in mounting a scope. European gun makers build rules for hunters. American gun makers build guns with accuracy in mind to make a profit.

Nah unfortunately the AMG GT has now got 4 wheel drive....and it's now the DB12....which is still rear wheel drive...so the only choice.... :E Shrug:...ps both basically same 4 litre v8 AMG engines....just tuned differently...;)
I compared the AMG GT to a DB 11 because they don't make the GT anymore. Now it's the AMG SL55 or SL63 that are all wheel drive, and the DB12 just came out.

I compared the AMG GT to a DB 11 because they don't make the GT anymore. Now it's the AMG SL55 or SL63 that are all wheel drive, and the DB12 just came out.
New AMG GT has just been launched recently...but know where you are coming from with the comparisons

Nah unfortunately the AMG GT has now got 4 wheel drive....and it's now the DB12....which is still rear wheel drive...so the only choice.... :E Shrug:...ps both basically same 4 litre v8 AMG engines....just tuned differently...;)

I happen to like the 4matic, so much so, I have three MB’s with 4matic.

New AMG GT has just been launched recently...but know where you are coming from with the comparisons
Nope. No AMG GT yet--unless you are talking about the sport sedans. No GT roadsters like mine anymore, only the AMG SL's. The SL's have a back seat and are all wheel drive. The GT is a two seat roadster, both hardtop and convertible and not made anymore. At least that's what the MBUSA website says.

Price wise, what other factory options are in the small ballpark of the three I listed? It sounds like the Jeffery costs much more.

Nope. No AMG GT yet--unless you are talking about the sport sedans. No GT roadsters like mine anymore, only the AMG SL's. The SL's have a back seat and are all wheel drive. The GT is a two seat roadster, both hardtop and convertible and not made anymore. At least that's what the MBUSA website says.

The new AMG GT is only a coupe no convertible version, as that is covered by the AMG sl...

Screenshot_20230828_001204_Chrome.jpg

Very nice 416 on Ralf's site now.

Side by side, this is a much finer rifle than the Rigby for less $$

I have been pondering the same question as the OP, then found this thread. This discussion was very helpful. Huvius your post in particular tipped me to a decision towards the Heym in your link. It is on the way.

Thank you very much.

For the same or less money you can have any one of several top rifle builders in the US (or elsewhere) build you a rifle to your specifications and it will be fitted to you, balanced for you, and in every way be as fine as any rifle made anywhere - on any action that you desire.

My 404J is built on a Granite Mountain, small ring, DSB M98 magnum action, stocked in French walnut to my dimensions, and it functions perfectly. I've used it in Tanzania and it ticks all the boxes - including multiple buffalo.

There are no flies on a properly prepared and stocked Model 70 either - I own three in calibers from 280 AI to .375 H&H.

Check out the top American builders - D'arcy Ehcols, Joe Smithson or Reto Buehler. (to name a few) and you will instantly see what I mean.

I looked at D'Arcy Echols a couple of years ago and spoke with Reto about one year ago. Prices from both are well above the price for the Heym from Ralf Martini, which was priced in Canadian dollars, not US dollars. The Canadian dollar is roughly 0.6x - 0.7x a US dollar with the current exchange rate. D'Arcy's quote was significantly above the price of the Heym.

I've owned several customs through the years and sold all of them due to poor long-term reliability or poor accuracy, except for the ones built by Sterling Davenport. His work is absolute perfection, extreme accuracy, reliable function, and beautiful. Here is my .308 he built. It also is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned including customs I used for long range competition long ago.

Sterling Davenport .308.jpeg

This is a three shot group at 100 yards.

Davenport target.jpeg

Last edited:
I had lunch with Kevin Peacock yesterday. We are both Heym owners, He also owns a VC. I also own two Rigby’s be both concur it is very difficult to beat a Heym.

Lon

I do not have Heym or modern Mauser rifles but I do have 2 modern Rigbys. A 450 PH model and a 416 Big Game with peep sight . The Big Game was a lot more expensive than PH . I do not think the Big Game extras are worth the extra $ . The 450 PH has become my go to big rifle . Strangely it is a much nicer rifle to shoot - other very experienced guys who have shot both agree. Both are very accurate rifles . If you want to go down the Rigby route - the 450 Rigby PH model is hard to beat . No scope but at my hunting ranges no scope required . Also 450 Rigby is easy to feed . Plenty of 450 ( 458) bullets out there and 416 Rigby brass can be used in a pinch .

I looked at D'Arcy Echols a couple of years ago and spoke with Reto about one year ago. Prices from both are well above the price for the Heym from Ralf Martini, which was priced in Canadian dollars, not US dollars. The Canadian dollar is roughly 0.6x - 0.7x a US dollar with the current exchange rate. D'Arcy's quote was significantly above the price of the Heym.

I've owned several customs through the years and sold all of them due to poor long-term reliability or poor accuracy, except for the ones built by Sterling Davenport. His work is absolute perfection, extreme accuracy, reliable function, and beautiful. Here is my .308 he built. It also is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned including customs I used for long range competition long ago.

View attachment 569649

This is a three shot group at 100 yards.

View attachment 569650
I have had several rifles made by Sterling and they are great. One of my favorite rifles is a pre-Martini facelift Heym in .404. It is robust, yet perfectly balanced and very accurate. I actually prefer the weight and handling of my pre-Martini to a friend’s Martini Heym. I have never actually weighed them, but mine seems heavier and The balance is perfect. Admittedly his upgraded lumber is nicer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odell45C92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?