Rifle Weight

The answer to your question will be determined by a few factors. First and foremost is your ability to handle recoil. A 338 Win. Mag is going to get anyone's attention when fitted to an ultra light stock. If you're sensitive to recoil, a lightweight stock doesn't make sense. Also, your style of hunting is central to the question. If you're hunting conditions don't require miles of back country hiking, an extra pound or two won't make a difference, a ten pound rifle handles recoil much better than a seven pound one.

My personal preference is the heavier wood stock, the additional weight tames the recoil and a couple extra pounds is not an issue when backpacking. Accuracy is all critical in our sport and recoil affects the best of us.

Went I went to SA I packed a CZ550 in 375HH which tipped the scales at about 13# loaded and a CZ550 308 Mannlicher stocked carbine. Limpopo Province has varied terrain and the much lighter Mannlicher CZ turned out to be the winning ticket. My guess would be anything regardless of caliber in the 9-10Lb range loaded should not prove to be to difficult to carry, a little pre hunt conditioning would also not be a bad idea JMTC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeldaBrook

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!