Rifle Weight

The answer to your question will be determined by a few factors. First and foremost is your ability to handle recoil. A 338 Win. Mag is going to get anyone's attention when fitted to an ultra light stock. If you're sensitive to recoil, a lightweight stock doesn't make sense. Also, your style of hunting is central to the question. If you're hunting conditions don't require miles of back country hiking, an extra pound or two won't make a difference, a ten pound rifle handles recoil much better than a seven pound one.

My personal preference is the heavier wood stock, the additional weight tames the recoil and a couple extra pounds is not an issue when backpacking. Accuracy is all critical in our sport and recoil affects the best of us.
 
Went I went to SA I packed a CZ550 in 375HH which tipped the scales at about 13# loaded and a CZ550 308 Mannlicher stocked carbine. Limpopo Province has varied terrain and the much lighter Mannlicher CZ turned out to be the winning ticket. My guess would be anything regardless of caliber in the 9-10Lb range loaded should not prove to be to difficult to carry, a little pre hunt conditioning would also not be a bad idea JMTC
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,195
Members
169,273
Latest member
fuddniforra1984
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top