Rifle through Frankfurt?

wildwilderness

AH fanatic
Joined
Jun 30, 2021
Messages
662
Reaction score
1,673
Location
Alaska
Media
20
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina, Namibia
I am going last minute to Namibia through Frankfurt.

I have spoken to a travel agency (Jennifer) but due to the quick flight and budget deals have booked 2 itineraries - one on Condor (discover) through Alaska Airlines Direct ANC-FRA. Then I will have a 6+ hr layover and fly direct on Lufthansa FRA-WDH ( nice to have a direct from Alaska!)

Jennifer did not recommend traveling as such with a rifle. So I am wondering if it is possible or worth the time to try and bring a rifle? Any permit assistance for Frankfurt? Easy enough to DIY? How about notifying airlines of the firearm?
 
There is a firearm fee that needs to be paid to transit with a firearm through Frankfurt.
Also there is a form that needs to be filled in and submitted ahead of time.
There is thread discussing this and providing all the required information on this forum. If you look for it, you should find it.
Good luck.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using AfricaHunting mobile app
 
There is an online permit application you can fill out and submit in case you end up having to retrieve your bags/rifle between flights. It’s like $23 euros but takes a couple weeks to process. You can find it on the FRA airport website.
 
I did Condor through Frankfurt last June doing a last minute hike around the Tour de Mont Blanc and it was painless. The Monday, returning from JNB through FRA as it is nice to have a direct from there to Anchorage, my Discover flight was cancelled last minute and turned into a total shit show. Just finally got my rifle back last night (my locks cut and tossed in to rattle around on my Rigby) with new giant locks securing the case I had to grind off to ensure my rifle was still inside.

And in the rerouting process, the fact that I had a rifle seemed perplexing to folks at every step. Swore after this trip I’m avoiding United Air, Lufthansa and Frankfurt altogether when traveling with a firearm.
 
The process looks not difficult but your call.

Off topic;Is the permit needed it you got and EU weapons permit?
 
I went through Frankfurt about a month ago on the way to Namibia. I did fill out the paperwork and pay the fee for transport of a rifle through Frankfurt, but I doubt that made any difference. I was never asked by anyone at any airport for proof that I had paid and got said authorization. If your rifle(s) are checked all the way to destination then I’m betting it doesn’t matter.

If you have to take possession of your firearm in Frankfurt then it’s probably a different story.

I would pay someone who does this all the time to help you out.
 
Is the $23 fee per case or per rifle? I usually travel with double rifle cases.
 
The process looks not difficult but your call.

Off topic;Is the permit needed it you got and EU weapons permit?
Nope, I travel through Frankfurt a couple of times a year using my EFP.
 
You will be ok submitting a permit to Germany as others have instructed. I’ve found that it helps to have an invitation letter from your PH when you submit paperwork the for the transit permit. Last year I had my permit in less than two weeks and I had no issues in Frankfurt.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,427
Messages
1,575,881
Members
170,436
Latest member
wendwardgen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top