Rifle through Frankfurt?

wildwilderness

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
I am going last minute to Namibia through Frankfurt.

I have spoken to a travel agency (Jennifer) but due to the quick flight and budget deals have booked 2 itineraries - one on Condor (discover) through Alaska Airlines Direct ANC-FRA. Then I will have a 6+ hr layover and fly direct on Lufthansa FRA-WDH ( nice to have a direct from Alaska!)

Jennifer did not recommend traveling as such with a rifle. So I am wondering if it is possible or worth the time to try and bring a rifle? Any permit assistance for Frankfurt? Easy enough to DIY? How about notifying airlines of the firearm?

There is a firearm fee that needs to be paid to transit with a firearm through Frankfurt.
Also there is a form that needs to be filled in and submitted ahead of time.
There is thread discussing this and providing all the required information on this forum. If you look for it, you should find it.
Good luck.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using AfricaHunting mobile app

There is an online permit application you can fill out and submit in case you end up having to retrieve your bags/rifle between flights. It’s like $23 euros but takes a couple weeks to process. You can find it on the FRA airport website.

I did Condor through Frankfurt last June doing a last minute hike around the Tour de Mont Blanc and it was painless. The Monday, returning from JNB through FRA as it is nice to have a direct from there to Anchorage, my Discover flight was cancelled last minute and turned into a total shit show. Just finally got my rifle back last night (my locks cut and tossed in to rattle around on my Rigby) with new giant locks securing the case I had to grind off to ensure my rifle was still inside.

And in the rerouting process, the fact that I had a rifle seemed perplexing to folks at every step. Swore after this trip I’m avoiding United Air, Lufthansa and Frankfurt altogether when traveling with a firearm.

The process looks not difficult but your call.

Off topic;Is the permit needed it you got and EU weapons permit?

I went through Frankfurt about a month ago on the way to Namibia. I did fill out the paperwork and pay the fee for transport of a rifle through Frankfurt, but I doubt that made any difference. I was never asked by anyone at any airport for proof that I had paid and got said authorization. If your rifle(s) are checked all the way to destination then I’m betting it doesn’t matter.

If you have to take possession of your firearm in Frankfurt then it’s probably a different story.

I would pay someone who does this all the time to help you out.

Is the $23 fee per case or per rifle? I usually travel with double rifle cases.

The process looks not difficult but your call.

Off topic;Is the permit needed it you got and EU weapons permit?
Nope, I travel through Frankfurt a couple of times a year using my EFP.

You will be ok submitting a permit to Germany as others have instructed. I’ve found that it helps to have an invitation letter from your PH when you submit paperwork the for the transit permit. Last year I had my permit in less than two weeks and I had no issues in Frankfurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesgam

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.