Rifle Sling Recommendation

.308 practical rifle built on an FN SPR action (Model 70). Like a scout, but with a receiver-mounted scope.

As to the topic of slings, please give me some leeway as my entire life is in storage, again! I do not have access to my rifles, so I am not able to share the company name. There was a gentleman at DSC selling rubber slings. I bought several! A prior post mentioned Slogan slings but I am not certain. What I can say is you will replace your canvass slings as well as your leather once you try his if you are carrying. As far as aiding with shooting, well that's a personal choice but if your shoulder is worn raw you may want to consider a more comfortable carry option.

@Kevin Peacocke I like the looks of the Els slings too. Can you offer your thoughts on a leather sling, vs. a canvas/leather sling?
I think that the canvas and leather sling looks better than whole leather, but for it to feel comfortable it needs to be wide, say 45 to 50mm to spread the load.

A while back I chanced upon a Holland and Holland canvas and leather rifle sling on a Heym double that was for sale. It was exquisite, and I asked to buy it separately, but no go. I then asked H&H to supply me one, but it pre-dated the frilly underpants era and they couldn't remember it. I will ask again.

I like wide canvas. Bought three yesterday because no one else likes them and I'd seen them in the store from last year. For me a sling has to be quite and some of the synthetic options make to much noise. Not to mention gets caught on shrub bush and tree.

This is a timely topic. I've experimented with an old British style of off-hand shooting but looping the sling around the trigger hand tricep instead of the forehand forearm. Much like how a speed sling was used but with a two point sling. I'm surprised at how comfortable it feels.

As most have suggestioned on style of slings I can reasonably concur.

But when deciding on a; type or style of slings, it is an individual's decision and how "their" feel in the ability/comfort to use a type/style of sling.

Not all slings of similarities work for everyone. Aka 1 size doesn't fit, or work for, all.

For those that can effectively use "soft" aka elastic, slings that's great. For those who prefer "hard", non "stretchy" slings; I'm biased, understand how to, why, and when to, the use of the sling.

Rifle slings ARE a multi purpose use item. Meaning they are used for multiple purposes at the same time!, and to be employed as the situation dictates, within a instant, seconds, or minutes.

I prefer a "Ridgid" leather or cotton web sling because that is what I train with and use. Width is irrelevant! To a point!

Elastic and otherwise, "soft" slings have a multitude of "problems" "adjustments" to overcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichelleCa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.