Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam

A few things to remember.

It is going to cost a Learner PH several thousands of dollars to take this test.
Time of work at least three days or more.

A week long prep course about $700.00.

Ammo for this course depending on ammo used probably $200.00

Cost of course, I do not know what it is now $100.00?

If LPH can pass doing a one station reshoot $20.00

Now for the rifle most will shoot .375 which mean they have to score 10 points higher to pass.
My observation of these rifle many or even most are not fit to use on dangerous game. Iron sights falling off, magazines falling open. Jams for mechanical reasons or short stroking. Sometimes you see the same defective rifle show up several times over a 2 o 3 period of time.

Now for the cost of these rifle. Up until now $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 is the average cost, until now.

Zimbabwe just increased gun licensing rates. Lets say you buy a Ruger in RSA for $2,000.00. Import permit $2,000.00. Duty 40%=$800.00 + license not sure now, but I think $350.00 total over $5,000.00.

Most will not by a new gun outside of the country & pay the import. This mean both decent rifle and sub standards are going up a hell of a lot.

A first time LPH may have a outlay of $4,000.00 to $5,000.00 for their first attempt. Some will never pass.

As a side note I think the highest score recorded was with a double if I am correct the deceased gentleman passed away a year or so ago.

Lon

Does anyone know what "Ganyana" means in African language?

It's been 14 years since the OP.
What, if any, comparison differences of the firearms used back then to the same models available /used today? ie. Ruger, Remington, and Winchester models; Are these manufacturered firearms better today than 14 years ago?

I ask because it seems Winchester and Ruger firearms are all a rage today. And they happen to be the two brands I am looking at in 458WM caliber for DG.

Does anyone know what "Ganyana" means in African language?
As I remember I saw posted on other forums like A……R and so on

We have to go back to the Matabele wars

Some music for context in background

During the war there one of his family members came up there with the Pioneer column . And under an engagement he shot a Matabele high ranking officer . When that was found post battle , Matabele said he was a nobility and its rank Ganyana was hereditary. And it also went to the young spur that took out an older knight, as was in some eras before . This led to him and lineage sons and so on being appointed to be nobility there .

There have been two posts recently that really strike a chord with me, Geoff's one above and the one on 'beware the man with only one rifle'. To suggest such a thing to our USA members who can buy rifles like groceries and enjoy the pursuit is not meant to be in any way disparaging, but I wonder how many have a real favourite that could be the one and only if push came to shove?
A John Rigby 450 magnum .A single square bridge . An outstanding rifle . A joy to shoot and super accurate . I can always find 458 calibre bullets , I can use 416R brass if reloading and I can reliably hit something at 150 yards off hand . What more could I want ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pansy7273

Latest profile posts

We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe