Rifle conundrum

Win 70 375 H&H. Just works every time. Now the hard decision is glass and mounts. QD was my choice with Swaro glass. Ended up double the cost of rifle but worth every penny.
If going two rifle route match the setup of rifle and glass. 300 win mag just my personal choice to match similarities.
Sticks, sticks and more sticks practice.
Most importantly go sooner than later, and enjoy and welcome

You have 10 years
If you can affford it plan for two. If not, a 375 is the go to.
If you arrived in Africa with a 30-06 and a 375 in CZ 550 or Brno ZKK you’d be halfway to being a PH.

Good luck!!

I went a slightly different route to the take down rifle. I had an Aluminum case made that I can get a CZ550 and a rifle made on an M17 action into. Not as easy as the take down rifle but easier to cart around than the Pelican 1750 case is.
My first two safaris I borrowed a Kalispel aluminum gun case. Very nice but still bulky. Then I bought a single gun Pelican Vault case for third safari as I was only after plains game and just took my 30-06. Last year I built a 404 Jeffery rifle and decided to take it along for buffalo cow management hunt. No need to buy another case. Both rifles have QD slings and scopes. With them detached and in my carryon, both rifles easily fit in the single gun case. Stocks were marked slightly from adjacent muzzles but their oil finish was easily cleaned up when I got home (30-06 was due for refinishing anyway). One fix would be to cut the foam to fit each rifle. Instead I have decided to simply put slip-on recoil pads on both rifles to protect stocks during transport.
20241012_064037.jpg

Edit: Another option might be to use waffle foam. I will put a strip of duct tape on the front sight hoods to protect them from possible scratching against case. Sticky residue is easily removed with gun oil or WD-40. All latches are duct taped closed during transit. Don't use colored duct tape. A certain security agent at Joberg airport has a fetish for the stuff. She stole my roll right in front of me.

Last edited:
There is an upcoming DG rifle shoot in KY. Perhaps you could take a drive and shoot the loaners available. Most guys will let you try their rifle.

I am new to this thread and the idea of a safari. I have realized my current deer rifle, which seems to be the recommended plains game rifle will not pass through customs in many African countries. It is a Rossi 92 in 44 mag, it has open sights and works great out to 100 yards, I don’t hunt bean fields so the setup has worked well for me.

My conundrum is this, with the dream of a buffalo hunt in mind, but 10+ years away. Should I push myself right into a dangerous game rifle (9.3 or 375) and use it for deer and the larger North American game, or should I go with a more typical caliber (7mm or 308 etc) and buy a dangerous game rifle closer to the hunt, or possibly rent a rifle.

I grew up shooting deer with slugs in single shot shotguns so I’m not scared of recoil, but $100 for 20 rounds would be painful!

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Viva Christo Rey
Pat
I would go with your 7mm Mag for now and then be on the look out for a .375 or bigger for your buffalo. That said there is nothing wrong with getting a .375 now and using it for everything. It is fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NevaRodway

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.