Rifle conundrum

Buy yourself a good quality used 30-06 and shoot it a lot. You will be shooting it the most when you are hunting plains game. Rent a rifle for buffalo. If you do your job, you will only shoot it once at the buff. I shot my first buff with a 375 rental. Had never shot anything bigger than a 300WM before (twice shot deer with my brother's BAR). I shot the rental once at the range and then shot my buffalo in the heart at 100 meters. I now have my own dangerous game 404 Jeffery. So far it's only killed paper. Maybe that's all it will kill. But that's okay. I built the rifle for something to do. My go to rifle is a WWII 30-06 Springfield. It has killed a ton of animals (actually several tons) including at least thirty-two African plains game. Ammo is easy to find and affordable. My 404 not so much. A box of twenty right now will run $140 to $200. It's why I only shot my PH's 375 once at the range.

Leave the 44 at home. It doesn't have the distance for plains game.

On a cull hunt are you allowed to take home your derpy looking trophy’s? My wife wants to decorate a Cape buffalo mount for Christmas time, and the leather should be the same quality (I assume)!
Generally no, maybe universally no.

You can always book a regular PG hunt, then do a Buffalo cow add-on. That's what I just did for my first hunt. Cows where I hunted are less expensive than some of the more popular antelope like eland, kudu, and nyala. I'm going to have the hide made into as many rifle cases as can be made

A lot of good replies here, but I personally would advise you to invest in a reasonably priced & reliable .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. Practice shooting your native game with it, so that you can familiarize yourself with it before heading out to your African Safari.

A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the Swiss Army Knife of rifle calibers and far too indispensable not to purchase.

If I went to Africa I would want to hunt a Cape buffalo, I’d it normal to go on a first African hunt and not shoot plains game? Or is the plains game the get used to travel and how it all works before stepping up to the big stuff?

There was a well known talk over a campfire on the farm where I was hunting.
A German hunter came to Africa to hunt buffalo.
So, they asked him what did he hunt before?
He said, nothing in Africa, this is my first time here!
My friend told him, sorry but did you start reading hunting book from backwards, never hunted in Africa and go for buffalo first? (as a joke)
He did collect his buffalo later.

I heard a story when a European hunter came on farm, with request to hunt "everything available around".
He did it in 2 or three weeks. And will probably never return to Africa.
Next hunt he will go maybe to New Zealand, or to Australia, or Kamchatka, or somewhere else. He just hunts everywhere, and with this hunt he made a check of Africa on his global check list and moved on.
Is one hunt in Africa enough for individual hunter? For some, yes. For some not. Nothing wrong either answer.

How do you feel? Hunting buffalo, and never see Afirca again, or maybe to repeat? Every answer is good one.

I went to safari three times for plains game, before getting to buffalo on my 4th safari, few weeks ago. It seamed that each hunt I made, was more demanding then previous one. (my third safari for eland, was not easy - I made report here, Check title, "Namibia: from the smallest to the greatest" ). And my hunt for buffalo was much more then that.

So, my 4th safari was for buffalo. (Report pending to do, will be soon posted here)
By the time I got to buffalo level, I already had a taste of Africa, read many books about African hunting, history, and about buffalo. I heard the stories over a camp fire about buffalo, about dangerous game, bullets, rifles, failures, trophies and disappointments when the game was lost.

I think that entire preparation for buffalo, and earlier plains game hunts, interaction with trackers and PH in the field, shooting from stick, etc... can be seen as a "foreplay" adding to full dangerous game hunting experience. It made it better!
Plains game hunting as a overall preparation for this.

Does the alpinist go to Himalaya first, or he starts by climbing his local hill first?

Some people go first for dangerous game, then whatever else they had in mind.
it is all about experience they want to get. Is hunter just a trigger man, or expects more from the experience, to be more psychologically and emotionally involved?

The motivation can be intrinsic or extrinsic. Some go for experience and interaction with people and connection with animals, for this: preparation and experience is needed, and for extrinsic -some go ad-hoc shopping for horn.

I cannot say which is more valid motivation.
But I can say, the more you learn before, the more experience you get before, better will be overall experience after you evolve to get to dangerous game hunt.

My way to buffalo was hunting on a farm, first plains game, in open range and high fence. three times.

Then when I got the idea to hunt buffalo - the idea was born in Africa, then I bought the 375 rifle, then when I started planning - next consideration was shall I hunt buffalo in high fence (South Africa, nothing wrong in that, and much cheaper) or wilderness area (harder hunt, and maybe less chance to success, and more $$$).

So, I decided to go wilderness area for my first buffalo hunt.

Anyway, this was my way and my thinking but it does not mean that your decision will be wrong, and whatever you decide is OK.

Certainly your idea to buy DG rifle, and get it prepared in time, is valid one, it will add to entire experience later. For the rest... keep planning.... and valuating... till the time comes...

my buffalo.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent replies as usual…
HH’s advice of a moderately priced 375H&H is good as always.
A decent 375H&H with a great optic is the way to go.
If you roll your own, a 230gr or similar weight bullet will flatten any plains game out to 600 yards. Step up to a 300gr for buff or go for the 275gr as a happy medium.

If you feel that you would prefer a lighter or more cost effective option, you can’t go wrong with a good old 30-06 pushing 180-200gr projectiles.

Excellent replies as usual…
HH’s advice of a moderately priced 375H&H is good as always.
A decent 375H&H with a great optic is the way to go.
If you roll your own, a 230gr or similar weight bullet will flatten any plains game out to 600 yards. Step up to a 300gr for buff or go for the 275gr as a happy medium.

If you feel that you would prefer a lighter or more cost effective option, you can’t go wrong with a good old 30-06 pushing 180-200gr projectiles.
It would not be the norm to have a PH green light shots beyond 300 yards, let alone 600. Ballistics aside, there is a big difference between hitting an animal at 600 yards and having an ethical harvest.

Best to keep it simple with 300 grain Barnes TSX/Swift A-Frames/Norma Oryx/Federal TBBC and use them for everything.

I am new to this thread and the idea of a safari. I have realized my current deer rifle, which seems to be the recommended plains game rifle will not pass through customs in many African countries. It is a Rossi 92 in 44 mag, it has open sights and works great out to 100 yards, I don’t hunt bean fields so the setup has worked well for me.

My conundrum is this, with the dream of a buffalo hunt in mind, but 10+ years away. Should I push myself right into a dangerous game rifle (9.3 or 375) and use it for deer and the larger North American game, or should I go with a more typical caliber (7mm or 308 etc) and buy a dangerous game rifle closer to the hunt, or possibly rent a rifle.

I grew up shooting deer with slugs in single shot shotguns so I’m not scared of recoil, but $100 for 20 rounds would be painful!

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Viva Christo Rey
Pat
Buy the Dangerous game rifle it will push you to take the trip of your dreams

I am new to this thread and the idea of a safari. I have realized my current deer rifle, which seems to be the recommended plains game rifle will not pass through customs in many African countries. It is a Rossi 92 in 44 mag, it has open sights and works great out to 100 yards, I don’t hunt bean fields so the setup has worked well for me.

My conundrum is this, with the dream of a buffalo hunt in mind, but 10+ years away. Should I push myself right into a dangerous game rifle (9.3 or 375) and use it for deer and the larger North American game, or should I go with a more typical caliber (7mm or 308 etc) and buy a dangerous game rifle closer to the hunt, or possibly rent a rifle.

I grew up shooting deer with slugs in single shot shotguns so I’m not scared of recoil, but $100 for 20 rounds would be painful!

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Viva Christo Rey
Pat
Pat;
Welcome to AH! Great post and inquiry. I was at this starting point about 15 years ago. An old Winchester M94 in 32 Winchester Special that I got from my grandfather was my go to deer rifle. I had never hunted anything bigger than whitetail and was planning my first trip to Africa. I was fortunate that I was to the point in life that buying a couple rifles was no big deal Although it did seem a little daunting to spend the kind of money I planned for a 9 day PG hunt and 11 day tour not to mention flights.

I went through the same conundrum regarding rifles. Really did consider going the Blaser R8 route but ultimately was talked out of it and went with a pair of Winchester M70 rifles. A 30-06 and a 375 H&H. I would encourage you to pick a path and stick to it. Practice with a turn bolt or a push pull, not both.

I will speak to the turn bolts and Buffalo hunting.

Winchester is a great option and I strongly suggest a 30-06 and 375. 30-06 because it has the ultimate flexibility for Africa as well as ammo being available about anywhere you can buy ammo;) The 30-06 performance is very close to a magnum with less recoil and especially without that hard snappy recoil of a 300 Win Mag. And bullet trajectories for most factory 30-06 180 grain loads compared to a 375 with 270 grain loads are nearly identical. With the 375 H&H 300 grain loading being very close.

A lot to be said for getting a matching set of rifles that operate and feel very similarly. Another reason to go with a 30-06 (or 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag) or even a 7mm Mauser or 7x57 even (much harder to find). But they are standard length, not the short action such as a 308. So they will feel closer to the magnum 375 H&H. Only thing closer would be a 300 H&H magnum but that would likely be in an older but more expensive rifle.

You can certainly go with other brands such as CZ and I'd love to sell you a CZ in 375 H&H. Or Ruger where you can go with a RSM in 375 H&H and an Express in 30-06 but both those options will cost more than Winchester and may or may not be ready to hunt out of the box. Winchester seems to get it right from the factory. Another lower cost option is Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 and 375 Ruger. It really depends upon your preference.

Another case for the venerable 30-06 and 375 H&H is when you get to the point you want to hunt small critters, a 30-06 with 200 or 220 grain bullets is moving slow enough to not blow them up yet has enough serious thump to roll over tough plains game like zebra, eland, blue wildebeest, kudu, Waterbuck.

Another option is just a 375 H&H. Use solids on small stuff and elephant and rhino. 300 grain bonded bullets like A-Frames or Trophy Bonded on everything else. Beware of yhecman with one rifle;) practice with 270 grain blue box Federal for minimum cost and recoil.

In any case, I'd like you to consider the classic look of a rifle with a nice walnut stock and blued steel. Just classy Africa hunting:) Please think twice about a laminated or composit stock.... think of the rifles having Soul after you hunt with them in Africa.

As for buffalo, @Just Gina and I recently took her 71 year old father on his first hunt in Africa hunt (with Limpopo Big Game Safaris) where he took cape buffalo, Impala x2, bush pig, blue wildebeest, and wart hog. He shot most with a 375. So yes you can certainly hunt cape buffalo on your first hunt. Practice extensively shooting off sticks and transition between targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards. If you choose to hunt Limpopo in RSA or hunt Zimbabwe or another place with thick bush, no need to practice much beyond 100 yards. If you can shoot accurately at 100, I'm sure you can shoot minute of kudu out to 200 yards. If you have a place to do it, take a few shots at 300 just to prove to yourself you can do it.

When you arrive in Africa, do go shoot 2 or 3 plains game before you get on a buffalo. Just to get familiar with the PH or tracker setting up the sticks for you and practice talking through a shot. I can't think of a better prep for buffalo hunting than blue wildebeest and Zebra being second.

A rifle conundrum, the best kind of conundrum to have!!!
You have received some excellent advice so far--I would add: hunt like this is the only time you will ever get to go...just in case it is. Having said that, we all know better, lol.
Good luck. There are those of us who wish we were seeing Africa for the first time again.

How many times in your life are you going to use a dg rifle? So maybe use that money on your eventual safari and just rent one from your ph.
I’m all in on a new rifle-something you can use in your state and others. Then take it to Africa and use it on all the plains game. But a rifle that is a safe queen seems like a poor investment to me. Whereas a common deer hunting caliber such as something in a .308 or .284 caliber will serve you well the rest of your life.
I would almost agree with you and Sabre if being practical was the only thing involved in an African safari. Personally, I hate borrowing a firearm. I think that practicing with a particular gun and being familiar with it is part of the experience, and guns are usually a good investment, so you likely won't lose anything by buying one. You can always sell it. Besides all of that, if you are hunting DG, not being intimately familiar with it can get someone hurt or killed. I have written before about having to stop a cape buffalo bull on my first safari as it closed on my PH and his rifle malfunctioned. I used it again on another bull a couple of years ago. I still have that rifle as it holds some treasured memories. Even if I decide that I'm never making another Africa hunt, I'll pass it on to my son-in-law and grandson. They're both interested my stuff from safaris and someday may want to go.

It would not be the norm to have a PH green light shots beyond 300 yards, let alone 600. Ballistics aside, there is a big difference between hitting an animal at 600 yards and having an ethical harvest.

Best to keep it simple with 300 grain Barnes TSX/Swift A-Frames/Norma Oryx/Federal TBBC and use them for everything.
Not advocating long range shots at all.
In fact, it’s one of my pet hates in today’s “hunting” world.
Merely highlighting the incredible versatility of The Queen of hunting cartridges.
Springbok, White tail, Mule Deer, Elk, Coastal grizzly, Eland or Suni, she can do it all…… comfortably.

Goodness I get convinced to do one thing, then pushed back in the other direction!

Whatever I do I will try to take @ActionBob advice and get blued steal paired with a wood stock! My first rifle was a stainless marlin 60, that thing has the worst gall! I’ll never sell the rifle because you almost never get through a full magazine without a jam, it’s accurate though!

How many times in your life are you going to use a dg rifle? So maybe use that money on your eventual safari and just rent one from your ph.
I’m all in on a new rifle-something you can use in your state and others. Then take it to Africa and use it on all the plains game. But a rifle that is a safe queen seems like a poor investment to me. Whereas a common deer hunting caliber such as something in a .308 or .284 caliber will serve you well the rest of your life.
@Firebird
100% pure logic. That would be my suggestion as well. A good 30 cal and rent a rifle for a DG hunt.
More money for the hunt that way.
If'n he gets hooked on hunting DG then but a DG rifle be it bolt or double.
Bob

My first African hunt was for a cull Elephant and Buff. You do not need to do plains game as a work up. I also did a late season hunt as it was cheaper. The heat and country (to some extent) reminded me of outback Queensland. I am a big advocate of take your own rifle and practice, practice with it.

The main thing to do, is go on the hunt and enjoy the experiences. (y)

I would almost agree with you and Sabre if being practical was the only thing involved in an African safari. Personally, I hate borrowing a firearm. I think that practicing with a particular gun and being familiar with it is part of the experience, and guns are usually a good investment, so you likely won't lose anything by buying one. You can always sell it. Besides all of that, if you are hunting DG, not being intimately familiar with it can get someone hurt or killed. I have written before about having to stop a cape buffalo bull on my first safari as it closed on my PH and his rifle malfunctioned. I used it again on another bull a couple of years ago. I still have that rifle as it holds some treasured memories. Even if I decide that I'm never making another Africa hunt, I'll pass it on to my son-in-law and grandson. They're both interested my stuff from safaris and someday may want to go.
I also now have a fine dangerous game rifle that I may hand down to the next generation. So far the only memories are getting scoped at the range but I'm working on changing that. :D

A bolt action is a bolt action is a bolt action. In my experience, it's been easy enough to transfer from one model to another, even with different safeties and scopes and calibers. Shooting moving targets, especially incoming, does require special skill. I don't practice shooting moving targets with my rifle but I have become quite good at hitting running game with it. I attribute this to shooting a LOT of skeet low gun. My advice to a new guy going to Africa after buffalo, is start shooting skeet, especially stations 1, 7, and 8. When you're hitting those stations consistently, you'll be in excellent shape if a buffalo charges. Anyone with experience using a bolt action "deer rifle" to hunt North American big game should do just fine with a similar bolt action dangerous game rifle, even if it's the first time shooting one. A rental is fine. No outfitter will send a client out of camp after dangerous game with a dysfunctional rifle. Of course, I would never recommend any client going after dangerous game using an unfamiliar rifle action, e.g. a deer hunter renting a double rifle. I know PHs do take clients who have no firearms experience (beyond few shots at the range) after dangerous game but I cannot imagine this being done without an additional backup gun in the stalking party.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristianGa

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles