Rifle Cases & Custom Cut Foam

So I spent some time today using GunFoam's app and taking pics of my components. At first I couldn't figure out a way to get 3 barrels + 3 scopes in a case any smaller than my V800. Then it occurred to me to just leave the bolt assembly on the R8 in the case. With a bit of work, I came up with this design that appears to work in the 4514. The 4514 is 46.81x16.31x6.25 (17.19 lb) vs the V800 at 56.11x19.15x6.65 (19.6 lb).

From my post above listing what I had in the V800:
2 x Bolt Assemblies - Changed to one bolt assembly and additional bolt head, also left bolt assembly on stock vs its own separate cut-out
3 x Blaser Barrels
1 x Suppressor
1 x Blaser Professional Stock
1 x Trigger Unit - Kept this attached to stock instead of separate
3 x Mag Inserts - Left one in trigger unit and just 2 cutouts for additional ones
3 x VX-6HD Scopes

View attachment 616937
Don't forget the T-handle hex wrench, or at least squeeze it in with the suppressor.

What is the final weight of all the components + foam + case?

EDIT - I just noticed this. You took pictures of the barrels on their sides, leaving the studs exposed. You can simply turn the barrel so the studs are pointing straight up (or down) for a cleaner look. You might be able to edit the shapes or even give them a call to make changes. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Following with interest!

I’d like to have more than one foam setup so I can swap them depending on the hunt.
That's what I did. I bought enough foam from them to have 3 different inserts. One multiple barrels and thumbhole R8 stock and scope etc, one for single barrel and bino for stateside hunts and the third for the take down O/U shotgun. All have tool spots cut and rifle ones also include a moderator spot.

The recent troubles encountered by @Altitude sickness traveling with scopes in his carry-on that were considered "sniper equipment", I'm considering making another change. No, my wife will not be happy about it, but I'm not "donating" my Swaro scopes to a crooked border agent for lack of foresight and proper planning.

The GF-4514 is slightly larger than the Pelican 1700 and exceeds the 62" linear limit by 8". It's also 4 lbs heavier (19.5 lbs with foam), putting my total weight with rifles around 40 lbs...still well within the 50 lb limit.

My thoughts are that it's unlikely that I'll get hit with an additional charge for being over the 62" limit, however I will be budgeting for such. I have yet to see a traveling hunter (including myself) be charged for this violation. If you have experienced this, please let us all know the circumstances in which it occurred.

It's been my experience that being overweight is MUCH more likely to induce a cargo fee than being over the linear limit.

Here is a picture of what I'm thinking. I'm not 100% sold on this for now, but I'm seriously considering it. I have emailed GF with a few questions and I'll wait for answers before pulling the trigger.

If this works out, someone could find themselves with a deal on a never used Pelican 1700. ;)

1719753102224.png

My oversized pelican V 800 was not charged as oversized. But they did weigh it. My wife’s suitcase was technically oversized also. Weight is more critical for take off and landing than size.

For the airline employee. Measuring is optional.

Weighing is not. Everything gets weighed.

Like this that looks good . Keep us posted
Do you see any issues leaving the scopes attached to the barrels?

IMG_2150.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this that looks good . Keep us posted
Do you see any issues leaving the scopes attached to the barrels?
I don’t see any issue with leaving the scopes on the barrels but I don’t have the room to do so. I’ve tried about every possible combination to shoehorn it in. With everything separated, it works best for me.

Don't forget the T-handle hex wrench, or at least squeeze it in with the suppressor.

What is the final weight of all the components + foam + case?

EDIT - I just noticed this. You took pictures of the barrels on their sides, leaving the studs exposed. You can simply turn the barrel so the studs are pointing straight up (or down) for a cleaner look. You might be able to edit the shapes or even give them a call to make changes. Just a thought.
Yes, I have a checklist I use now for every trip and it includes necessary tools. I took a pic of the T-Handle as well and couldn't make it fit in the the layout there so thinking I'll just put it above the top foam between it and case or I'll put it under the suppressor as you say.

For the barrels, at first I was thinking the studs to the side and cut in to the foam would allow for a better 'grip' on the barrels and keep them from moving around. I had emailed GunFoam to ask them about it and if it'd be possible to re-orient the barrels so that the studs are facing down AND have GunFoam can cut holes in the foam for the studs. I'd noticed in my past trip that the barrels moved a good bit in the standard foam in the V800 so I want to ensure this foam locks them in place better.

For weight, on this last trip my V800 weighed 49.something pounds with all listed items. So I was just under the limit. I'm expecting the GunFoam setup to give me just a bit more breathing room, though not by much.

Updated with studs facing up, addition of some finger grips, and adding T-Handle specific cut-out. That Tier One spigot pic rail adapter on the front of my stock definitely does not help when trying to be compact.
GunFoam Design 2 - R8 3 Barrel.png

The recent troubles encountered by @Altitude sickness traveling with scopes in his carry-on that were considered "sniper equipment", I'm considering making another change. No, my wife will not be happy about it, but I'm not "donating" my Swaro scopes to a crooked border agent for lack of foresight and proper planning.

The GF-4514 is slightly larger than the Pelican 1700 and exceeds the 62" linear limit by 8". It's also 4 lbs heavier (19.5 lbs with foam), putting my total weight with rifles around 40 lbs...still well within the 50 lb limit.

My thoughts are that it's unlikely that I'll get hit with an additional charge for being over the 62" limit, however I will be budgeting for such. I have yet to see a traveling hunter (including myself) be charged for this violation. If you have experienced this, please let us all know the circumstances in which it occurred.

It's been my experience that being overweight is MUCH more likely to induce a cargo fee than being over the linear limit.

Here is a picture of what I'm thinking. I'm not 100% sold on this for now, but I'm seriously considering it. I have emailed GF with a few questions and I'll wait for answers before pulling the trigger.

If this works out, someone could find themselves with a deal on a never used Pelican 1700. ;)

View attachment 617013
my last 2 trips were on Delta and United and the gun case falls under their listing as sporting equipment and not subject to over size fees. I use a Pelican 1750 with 2 guns under 50 lbs

my last 2 trips were on Delta and United and the gun case falls under their listing as sporting equipment and not subject to over size fees. I use a Pelican 1750 with 2 guns under 50 lbs
Appreciate the information. We are most likely flying one of those two airlines, but who ever we fly, I'll be sure to check out their policies and have them printed out.

The 1750 with foam comes in at almost 27 lbs, more than half of the allowance before I've put anything in it. Add in two full sized rifles with scopes and it's getting close to 50 lb. My biggest problem with this case is how heavy, long and awkward it is walking through the airport and getting it into a vehicle.

How do I know this? I had a 1750, we used it for travel several times and realized we didn't want to lug it around anymore. Fortunately it was able to continue its hunting journey with another AH member.

The GF-4514 is 10 inches shorter and almost 10 lbs lighter than the 1750. To me, that represents a significant savings. If I'm able to get what I need into the GF case, that's what I'm likely to go with.

After receiving council from @Tra3, I rearranged the case to better distribute the weight. Also added some finger grabs for the barrels and scopes. T-wrench will get slid in somewhere but I don't have a specific spot for it. Still going to wait to talk to them this week before I place the order.

1719779885512.png

I placed my order Sunday night and called GunFoam today to make some minor tweaks to what I wanted. I spoke with DJ (Digital Director) who assured me that the changes I requested will be taken care of and verified via email.

While on the phone, I raised a few concerns with how the software/website works. Things like the ability to edit each individual item for size and depth, even after the initial upload. Saving templets or an entire case so I can work on it for a couple of days. Changing the color of the foam without having to start from scratch. Things like that.

It appears I was not alone in my suggestions and GunFoam.com has been working on a version 2.0 that incorporates all of this and many more features. DJ didn't get into all the specifics when I asked when to expect it other than to say "...it's a complicated problem that GunFoam is aware of and working hard towards a solution that will benefit both the consumer and GunFoam". I'm looking forward to seeing how it rolls out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BW32

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!