Rifle appraisal

The rifle I do not believe was colored until a later date, the lettering is spot on and right for sure compared to other photos of the same model and time frame I have seen. Rigby didn't mention it when I emailed them either. They confirmed everything else about it as accurate, but didn't know when it was rechambered.

Ok but classic rigby lettering was like this

78290 (2).jpg

Taking a closer look, I’m afraid @spike.t may be right. A very good friend does much of Rigby’s current work. I’ve looked at a lot of their current and past and neither the lettering nor the scroll look like anything I’ve seen on a Rigby. I’d send the pics to Marc Newton and get his thoughts.

1622573979557.png

Taking a closer look, I’m afraid @spike.t may be right. A very good friend does much of Rigby’s current work. I’ve looked at a lot of their current and past and neither the lettering nor the scroll look like anything I’ve seen on a Rigby. I’d send the pics to Marc Newton and get his thoughts.
That's a different model, see above this is the same rifle.

1622574344012.png

They made quite a few like, the lettering is perfect. You are looking at the "best" quality vs the low end model which this was.
1622574475452.png

Here is a double made 2 years prior in a .470, exact same.

1622575152794.png

Attachments

• 1622575028114.png
    1622575028114.png
    727.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 1622575101989.png
    1622575101989.png
    648.8 KB · Views: 124
You may very well be right. I would still get Marc to weigh in. If he concurs it will only increase the value of your rifle.

Lovely usable double in good caliber for Africa, use her if you can, be great to have her back in country !

That is a Webley Screw Grip or PHV1 (need pic of top of action) by Webley & Scott, a Shoe Lump barrel set so Second or Third quality Rigby, more a working rifle & only Rigby by the caliber & scripting really .

Webley made rifles for all the rifle company's, most likely never saw the inside of a Rigby work shop .

I would say it has had a Full rejuvenation at some time as edges a rubbed on stock, engraving refreshed & new Case Colors (plus rebore) .

If done in the US with no English reproof marks (after the rebore to .375) then yes this will effect the value a fair bit, but not as a hunting rifle with great back story (more so if mentioned in his books) .

It is settled. The rifle has little to no value. Antignos, please let me know where I can pick up this rifle so you do not have to suffer with it any longer. :D

Seriously, I think you have a beautiful and interesting shooter on your hands. I agree with Sarg; the back story makes the rifle even more interesting and special. What adventures did this rifle see in Africa? Where else has it been? Why did a past owner convert it? This rifle has a history and it needs to go on more adventures. Please share a range report after you take her out this weekend.

Safe shooting.........LL

Almost forgot: I sent this link to Marc earlier to see what his thoughts are.

Lovely usable double in good caliber for Africa, use her if you can, be great to have her back in country !

That is a Webley Screw Grip or PHV1 (need pic of top of action) by Webley & Scott, a Shoe Lump barrel set so Second or Third quality Rigby, more a working rifle & only Rigby by the caliber & scripting really .

Webley made rifles for all the rifle company's, most likely never saw the inside of a Rigby work shop .

I would say it has had a Full rejuvenation at some time as edges a rubbed on stock, engraving refreshed & new Case Colors (plus rebore) .

If done in the US with no English reproof marks (after the rebore to .375) then yes this will effect the value a fair bit, but not as a hunting rifle with great back story (more so if mentioned in his books) .
Yes the case coloring was not from Rigby I'm pretty sure. No Rigby reproof mark, Rigby did say I could have them do it if I wanted. Going to shoot it this weekend and take to Africa in 2 weeks I think. You are correct about the W&S for sure.
1622579564767.png

Yes the case coloring was not from Rigby I'm pretty sure. No Rigby reproof mark, Rigby did say I could have them do it if I wanted. Going to shoot it this weekend and take to Africa in 2 weeks I think.
Tough question but a VERY interesting rifle. Bullpett owned the 350, 2 .275s, a 450 and a few 12 bores in Kenya.

I’d hate to say I think the rebore would affect value, especially being so late, but perhaps the provenance might offset it?

would love to see pics if you’ve got them.
Can you tell me where you found this info?

1622579671407.png
1622579680050.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 4.11.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 4.11.04 PM.png
    434.1 KB · Views: 113
As I said use it and enjoy it ...if it was still in rigby 350 no2 or 400/350 wouldn't be as usable unless a serious reloader..so 375 flanged will give you plenty opportunity to use it....presumably was originally in the 400/350 ? What weight is it...looks nice and trim...

@ANTIGNOS

The old Kenya Gazette archive. Google to find it. There is a lot of great information in there. They recorded each rifle that came into the country and who disposed of it. Make, cartridge and serial number. Also firearms permit payments. Bullpetts guns were mentioned in the permits in 1907 I believe.

It’s not comprehensive and the search used OCR so sometimes you have to get creative when searching.

Fascinating stuff.

@ANTIGNOS

The old Kenya Gazette archive. Google to find it. There is a lot of great information in there. They recorded each rifle that came into the country and who disposed of it. Make, cartridge and serial number. Also firearms permit payments. Bullpetts guns were mentioned in the permits in 1907 I believe.

It’s not comprehensive and the search used OCR so sometimes you have to get creative when searching.

Fascinating stuff.
Thanks

1622588568794.png

@ANTIGNOS

yup, you got it. Note at the top of that screenshot is Blayney Perveival, Phillips brother. Scan through those records and you’ll see plenty of the old names we all recognize.

Great your taking her home lol !

I see you have all the info there, Webley & Scott A & D for the Anson & Deeley boxlock, Screw Grip & Class C = Grade C , third quality .

Still a awesome double by any standard & now possibly more fit for purpose in .375 FL Mag as spike.t said easier on the ammo front, most likely it had a worn bore to & needed the refresh (wish I could get one & be up graded to larger bore to ) .

Good luck with her .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesroy

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]