Rhino hunting info

Texashunter30

Reaction score
I just got back from the Dallas SCI show and was looking for some info on white rhino hunting after talking to all the different outfitters. I have been told a varitity of different things as far as the hunting difficulty as well as prices. I know there is a difference between captive bred and free range. I am just looking for a fair price for captive and free range. I am also looking to see if there really is a big difference between free range rhino and captive as I have been told by a few PHs it is not much of a hunt for either.

Welcome to the forum Texashunter

Free range Rhino hunts ? Where ?
(read with a tone of scepticism)

Checking for you

Welcome to AH, free range.....not a chance?

I thought the free range sounded weird for SA but that's what they were saying at the show. So what would be a good price to shoot a large white rhino 30" up in SA?

Go into "deals" section and search that forum for Rhino.

You will see anything from $35,000 on up

SAN Parks just sold a Rhino for about $64,000
Another hunt sold in KZN for $96,000

Another option would be a "vita dart hunt" you 30yds from him and put a multi Vit in his rump an then HIDE!!

The vet comes in with a chopper and darts him. Then DNA can be taken , pregnancy testing etc.
Essentially you as a hunter will be involved in a conservation initiative.
Costs are $8500 roughly and you can get a replica mount and a cool experience with a live Rhino.
Regards
Dave

I thought the free range sounded weird for SA but that's what they were saying at the show. So what would be a good price to shoot a large white rhino 30" up in SA?

Best to ask questions on AH, some suspicious rhino hunts have been for sale in the past. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here on AH. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We don't want you to have a bad hunt.

SAN Parks just sold a Rhino for about $64,000
Another hunt sold in KZN for $96,000

not that I would ever hunt a Rhino , the cause is too close too my heart , but this is the only way I would even consider doing a Rhino hunt , were the funds generated will go back to the Parks.

Another option would be a "vita dart hunt" you 30yds from him and put a multi Vit in his rump an then HIDE!!

The vet comes in with a chopper and darts him. Then DNA can be taken , pregnancy testing etc.
Costs are $8500 roughly and you can get a replica mount and a cool experience with a live Rhino.
Regards
Dave

+1

Regards
Dave

Dave, is this price including day fees? Sounds fun.

not that I would ever hunt a Rhino , the cause is too close too my heart , but this is the only way I would even consider doing a Rhino hunt , were the funds generated will go back to the Parks.
Correct... I NEARLY took up a hunt on an old non reproducing male rhino, $35k in RSA, BUT my conscience got the better of me. I am busy arranging a green / vita dart hunt through TAM Safaris in Eastern Cape and will get a replica shoulder mount trophy made to complete my BIG 5!! Divorce and angry kids/ grandkids was just NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!! :)

Correct... I NEARLY took up a hunt on an old non reproducing male rhino, $35k in RSA, BUT my conscience got the better of me. I am busy arranging a green / vita dart hunt through TAM Safaris in Eastern Cape and will get a replica shoulder mount trophy made to complete my BIG 5!! Divorce and angry kids/ grandkids was just NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!! :)

@Bruce , IMHO everyone wins here , if I where in the same position and needed the Rhino to complete my Big 5 I would do exactly that .

well done sir (y)

Thanks.....will enjoy the rhino "hunt" just as much ( I have seen videos of such from TAM) and at least I will not have that kak feeling after the shot...as the rhino will wake up and run off again!!

Welcome to AH, Texashunter !

If you do book a hunt, I suggest you do it with someone reputable, like the outfitters on the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elmer84748

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg